Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Purchasing POD Farm

Hi all,

I've been using Pod XT (and XT Live) for almost ten years now. (It's funny how the time flies...) I've been quite happy with it, even though I can achieve better sounding hi-gain sounds with some other equipment nowadays. 

I've been thinking of buying an audiointerface (Line6 UX2) and a software (POD Farm 2.5). Since I only play home alone, I have no need for hardware (I'm going to use it with my computer, of course). I've heard some samples of my friend's POD HD and it sounds really good. I'm wondering if I can get the same amp sims in POD Farm or does the POD Farm have different sims?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd piggy back on this post as it is a question related to purchasing the POD Studio UX2.

Am I right in thinking that the physical POD Studio UX2 box doesn't do any processing and is just a USB Interface? I am getting a little confused between the Studio and Toneport models I think.

As I understand it, the Toneport box did the sound processing and sent the "Wet" signal to the PC to be recorded as is, and the Studio sends a "Dry" signal to the PC which can then be edited and tweaked with POD Farm later. Is that correct? Or does the Newer Studio model have the same on board functionality that the Toneport had too?

I think the other way to put this is do you need to use GearBox to edit the sounds on the Studio as you used to with the Toneport?

Hope someone can clear this up for me!

Cheers,

Chris.

the UX2 is essentially just an interface... HOWEVER, it has specific drivers and specific engineering to accommodate Line6's proprietary "tonedirect monitoring" which reduces the latency for the line6 apps... gearbox/pod farm.

the older toneport and newer pod studio models have the same functionality.

Thanks again.

This is what I don't understand though. If you use Gearbox with the POD Studio UX2 what are you controlling? The sounds in POD Farm on the PC...?

You say yourself that the Studio UX2 is essentially an interface, so what does Gearbox control if there is no processing done on the physical box...?

Am I missing something here...?

Cheers,

Chris.

no gearbox does the same thing as pod farm in this instance... its a complete standalone program.

i'd advise simply forgetting gearbox... you don't need it... its just a different/older software interface that was replaced by pod farm.