Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 Head - Popping, cracking and scratching on startup

DarrellM5

I've had my Dream Rig since the beginning of March.  Tonight when I fired it up, once I flipped the standby switch up on the DT25 head, it made all kinds of popping, clicking and scratching noises.  It sounded like one end of an instrument cable was plugged into it and the other end was being dragged around the room.  I unplugged the L6 Link cable from it but that didn't make any difference.  The racket eventually lessened to the point of just sounding like random patch switches were happening 4 or 5 times a minute.  I tried turning it off and unplugging it for a few minutes.  The problem returned but not as bad as at first.  I looked through the back panel while powered up and the tubes look okay visually.  They have a healthy red glow to them.

Does this sound like one of the tubes is on the way out already?  This amp hasn't been moved or disturbed since I bought it and I play at fairly low volumes.

Kind of a bummer because I've never had a single issue with any of my Line 6 products in the 10 years I've been using them.

• Upvote 1

Mine started doing this a good year after I bought it new. 6 months later it just did not work after a power on. New tubes and it runs better now than before (and no crackling or poping noises). Not absolutely clear that those things are related, but no evidence to the contrary either. You decide.

Get new tubes would be miy advice. A matched set of four if you are giging or 2 if you don't mind an occasional down time when they go unexpectedly.

Good luck,

Martin

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up ordering JJ's tubes from Eurotubes.  Put them in and biased them tonight.  Problem solved.

I installed an ECC83S Balanced tube and a matched EL84 pair.  I adjusted the bias for the EL83s to 25.3mV & 25.8mV.

Amp sounds great once again.

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

• Upvote 1