Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3m loss of high frequency

I took delivery of a shiny new L3m on Saturday. This is to be used with my HD500 and JTV 59 to create an FRFR rig. I spent Saturday night tweaking patches and at low volume it sounded great. We had a gig on Sunday, powered up the L3, turned up and WOW...it sounded awesome!!

I was well pleased with my purchase as was he rest of the band. Some of the patches still needed a bit of tweaking so I spent yesterday in my studio doing just that at a lower volume, which is when it happened. I was playing a riff and tweaking when suddenly I lost all the top end tone, losing all the 'sparkle'. I turned everything off and on again, still no top end, then suddenly it came back. This happened 4 or 5 times. 

The L3m is set to electric guitar mode, HD500 to studio, and I'm using a 1/4 inch lead from the POD to the speaker.

Any ideas guys??

EDIT...I have found a post relating to this problem and it seems it is an internal connection problem within the speaker. I am returning it to the vendor for a replacement.

Edited by zaphodboy

I doubt it's a connection problem.  When you are set to electric guitar mode the tweeter is essential shut off so the only sound you will hear is from the woofers.  Now if the sound was cutting out I could suspect a speaker connection but if you are only hearing a loss of highs I'm betting it is something else.

btw ... when you operate in electric guitar mode you are not getting the benefits of FRFR as you are back to effectively getting only guitar range sound.

I'm using a 1/4 inch lead from the POD to the speaker.

I really think you need to use the L6 link from your HD 500 to your L3m speaker in order to get full benefits of using using those pieces together. It's just my opinion fwiw.

That's exactly the issue I had.  I returned it to L6 for repair.  The fault sheet specified "Verified HF cutting out as per <my example audio file>,  Intermittent HF speaker function - loose speaker connection at J2."  It was fixed and sent back to me and it sounds fine now.

I really think you need to use the L6 link from your HD 500 to your L3m speaker in order to get full benefits of using using those pieces together. It's just my opinion fwiw.

Yeah, when I switched to acoustic guitar mode using the variax the difference was huge. I was hoping to get away with not spending silly money on an L6 link cable but I think I'm goint to have to.

btw ... when you operate in electric guitar mode you are not getting the benefits of FRFR as you are back to effectively getting only guitar range sound.

Will I get any sonic benefits by using L6 link?

you don't have to get a line6link specific cable....

look for an AES/BEU cable or even a DMX cable...

they are basically digital versions of the standard XLR microphone cable.

in many cases a decent quality XLR mic cable will work as well.

• Upvote 1

you don't have to get a line6link specific cable....

look for an AES/BEU cable or even a DMX cable...

they are basically digital versions of the standard XLR microphone cable.

in many cases a decent quality XLR mic cable will work as well.

Cheers Zap, tha'ts just save me a few quid!!

• 1 month later...

That's exactly the issue I had.  I returned it to L6 for repair.  The fault sheet specified "Verified HF cutting out as per <my example audio file>,  Intermittent HF speaker function - loose speaker connection at J2."  It was fixed and sent back to me and it sounds fine now.

Hardly used the thing since having it repaired and the same loss of HF fault has returned.  Not happy :-(

• 4 months later...

I had/have the same issue with an L2M. Lost all high frequency, but it was somewhat intermittent. It got sent off to L6 for repair and came back no fault found. It seemed to work OK so I carried on using it until it happened again. It is out of warranty now; this all happened over a year ago. Partially my fault for not being more persistent I suppose but at the time I had other things going on that were somewhat more important. It annoyed me that it was just sent back without finding and fixing the fault.