Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal routing (POD USB + multiple cards)

I use Cubase to record guitar via POD HD500. I want to connect POD by USB and have ability to listen to a backing track from Winamp.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. There's no way to send multiple audio sources to an audio card if you use ASIO. Which means if you connect POD via USB, you cannot hear guitar sound sent through Cubase (first source) and backing track from Winamp (second source).

2. You can, however, connect POD via Line In to an audio card and listen to both. Input signal from Line In is mixed internally by an audio card with signal from Windows kxmixer. ASIO in that case is not needed.

Now a question:

3. If I have two audio cards in my PC, can I process signal from POD USB by first card, daisy chain both cards (Line Out to Line In) and then mix resulting signal on the second card and send output signal to speakers? This essentially means that Windows will have to send POD signal to first card and kxmixer signal to the second. I don't know if it's even possible. I'll probably need some signal routing software to accomplish that. Thoughts?

Well yeah, I forgot to mention that. However, if I connect my speakers to the POD I'll have to use master and volume controls on the POD to change the volume level. Is that true? Because it's kinda awkward to bend every time I need to slightly change the sound volume.

Thanks for confirming that. Because this is really not handy. I agree that this is a matter of preference, but I'd rather avoid that.

Now, I already have two audio cards in my PC and it's just a question of whether I can use them in a way I described above. Is it even possible at all? Or I have to go with option 2 and just forget about the USB?

Sound quality, latency, additional digital to analog conversions, possible noise introduced by cables or lower quality sound cards in the signal path.

A few quick examples.

It's really not worth it to avoid an occasional volume adjustment IMO