Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Edit -vs- HD On board editing

smrybacki

Quick question: Does anyone know if there are any editable parameters in a POD HD series (HD500 if it matters) that can only be accessed via the POD HD Edit software?  In other words, if I turn on my POD and I don't feel like flipping on a computer, will I be missing any capability in editing my tones, other than convenience of seeing it graphically?  I ask because my old Vox Tonelab did have that situtaion, but often I don't feel like futzing with a computer and would rather just twiddle knobs and switches.

No. In fact, in the situation of the other way around, there is some stuff in the system menu that can't be accessed by the edit software.

just for fun and since I'm a bit nosy, should we make a list of those?

That's true about the stuff that isn't in Edit. But then there is the added frustration of editing with both the edit software and the device in the same session. Doing that could likely cause synchronizing issues and eventually having to reflash the firmware and recalibrate.

just for fun and since I'm a bit nosy, should we make a list of those?

The list would be everything in the system menu and everything relating to the looper. Can't think of anything else that would be included.

I always and pretty much only use HD Edit and never have issues.  You have to remember that there are two "computers" talking to each other and follow strict procedures.  I always start the POD first and let it stabilize, then start HD Edit and let it sync up.  When editing a patch, I never touch the POD, just do everything with Edit.  Assign the amp model first, then effects.  I try to keep the effects to a logical routing and prefer the lineup to match the order in the list.  Then I make FS and expression assignments and turn effects on and off from the Controllers tab.  I will save to disk often while working and "Send" the patch to the POD while working it.  Once I am fairly happy with it I will double press to Save on the POD and now I can use the FS and Expression pedals on the POD.  If you don't follow these procedures you can get a messed up patch, especially trying to use FS before Sending the patch and Saving on the POD. 

Other than the system settings there is nothing I want to do on that tiny screen.  Especially since I have to bend over to see it and make changes.  I can also make topology changes for my DT in HD Edit much easier than the POD.  Now that I think of it, everythng is easier on the computer than the POD.  About the only thing I actually change on the POD is the Master for golbal volume settings...

• Upvote 2

Exact opposite for me. I don't like the edit program. I only use the display on the pod. None of the sync issues and after all these years I can build a patch pretty fast on the screen. Only time I use the edit program is for a bundle backup once in a while. Don't even do that very often, as it wouldn't take long to rebuild my tones anyways. Too clunky of an interface. Move my mouse up and down to turn knobs... Foolishness..

Sitting on the floor is how I usually build my tones. Indian style with my DT25 aimed near my head. Twist strum twist... Life is good.

I always and pretty much only use HD Edit and never have issues. You have to remember that there are two "computers" talking to each other and follow strict procedures. I always start the POD first and let it stabilize, then start HD Edit and let it sync up. When editing a patch, I never touch the POD, just do everything with Edit. Assign the amp model first, then effects. I try to keep the effects to a logical routing and prefer the lineup to match the order in the list. Then I make FS and expression assignments and turn effects on and off from the Controllers tab. I will save to disk often while working and "Send" the patch to the POD while working it. Once I am fairly happy with it I will double press to Save on the POD and now I can use the FS and Expression pedals on the POD. If you don't follow these procedures you can get a messed up patch, especially trying to use FS before Sending the patch and Saving on the POD.

Other than the system settings there is nothing I want to do on that tiny screen. Especially since I have to bend over to see it and make changes. I can also make topology changes for my DT in HD Edit much easier than the POD. Now that I think of it, everythng is easier on the computer than the POD. About the only thing I actually change on the POD is the Master for golbal volume settings...

Basically, Edit is a spine saver. After years of owning a floor processor without the ability to connect to a pc, the POD is a blessing in that sense. Of course there are some things you can't edit like the system settings, but that's something I choose before even plugging the POD to the PC, that is the output mode (Whether I'm working with the monitors or with an amp).

The beauty of options!  I  hate sitting like that...  I usually double click and type the settings where possible...

However, the thought just came to mind that a tablet sized device/controller with duplicate real knobs and buttons and a bigger color screen that could connect by usb and mount on a mic stand would be something I would pay up for... just to be able to read clearly and not have to bend over...

Exact opposite for me. I don't like the edit program. I only use the display on the pod. 
Sitting on the floor is how I usually build my tones. Indian style with my DT25 aimed near my head. Twist strum twist... Life is good.

I had been wondering about the same thing, but didn't think to ask. Good info to have.

I generally don't mess with the system settings much, so it's not a big deal to me that they can't be modified in Edit.

I actually go back and forth between editing on the POD itself and editing in Edit, but never during the same session. I probably use the POD controls most of the time because I don't always feel like hooking up to the computer for minor edits. But, when I know I'm going to spend some time doing more detailed editing, I use the Edit software.