Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 with HD POD post amp block effects

Hi all,

I know there has been plenty written by us customers about having a schematic of the routing through the "dream rig" and I can somewhat understand why that is difficult for Line6 to do, because there is so much software configurability and DSP areas in the process, it is almost like asking how long is a piece of string...

However,

I am looking into DT25 for my GIG rig and I am currently confused about how/where "post amp block" effects sit within the signal chain, bearing in mind a specific configuration... (as below)

HD POD config looks like...

Pre Section - Split path section - mixer block - post section - outputs   (generic pod setup)

for this discussion lets say it is effectively a mono path, so lets not talk about "panning or stereo" and so on... just keeping it "simple"..

in the pre section is FX1

in the Split path (path a) i have FX2 followed by an AMP block (amp configured as a Pre version of the amp)

in post section i have FX3.

if I then set the "Audio Configuration" for the DT25 to be LEFT... then from the documents I understand it gets fed the signal from the end of the POD chain into the real POWER AMP (with topology/class etc. as configured by the pre amp specifics)...

(I also understand that if I set the Audio Configuration to AMP A... the signal would go straight after the amp block to the power amp, and miss out the POST section and MIXER completely...(and incidently any FX placed after the amp block...)

MY REAL QUESTION...

is it possible to use the DT25 as the pre amp modeller and real power amp AND get the same FX placement (without using the 4CM)?

e.g.

POD config

FX1 - FX2 - blank amp block - FX3

audio path would have to be POD(FX1 - FX2) - > DT25 preamp -> POD (FX3) -> DT25 power amp - DT25 reverb...

another side question is does the audio ever "go back to the POD from the DT25..." im guessing not, and if so my answer to my real question is... it's not possible...

Interested in anyones thoughts.

MY REAL QUESTION...

is it possible to use the DT25 as the pre amp modeller and real power amp AND get the same FX placement (without using the 4CM)?

Short answer is NO.  When connected with L6 link everything is done in the POD and goes straight to the DT power section bypassing everything else except the DT reverb if wanted.  And that is fine.  There is no difference between the two.  The signal does not bounce back and forth between the POD and the DT.  Guitar signal gets processed in the POD and passed to the DT for amplification and on to the speaker for output.

thanks radatats

I did hope that it doesn't "ping pong" between the two!

am i also correct in thinking the only way of controlling "what reverb" is selected in the DT25 is via midi?

and therefore, another question... is the midi still active whilst line6link in operation...

am i also correct in thinking the only way of controlling "what reverb" is selected in the DT25 is via midi?

and therefore, another question... is the midi still active whilst line6link in operation...

I think the midi is still available in L6 link and should be able to control the reverb in the DT but I have never tried and not sure why you would need to anyways...

Well I am thinking of a rather "heavily" loaded preset... i.e. complex enough to max out the DSP on the HD POD, and now the new amp firmware has the 12 reverbs in the amp... i was thinking of off loading one of the reverbs into the amp, which would free up the DSP a bit...

• 8 months later...

Well I am thinking of a rather "heavily" loaded preset... i.e. complex enough to max out the DSP on the HD POD, and now the new amp firmware has the 12 reverbs in the amp... i was thinking of off loading one of the reverbs into the amp, which would free up the DSP a bit...

When you say "off load a reverb onto the DT" are you saying that you can take the particle reverb from of the HD and load it onto the DT and the mix of that downloaded reverb can be controlled by the reverb knob on the face of the DT? I would then be able to unplug the HD from the DT, plug directly into the front of the amp and the reverb would be the Particle Reverb?

Particle Verb is on the list. I have not tried it, but supposedly you can configure the Reverb Type (Particle Verb = 12), Reverb Bypass/Enable, Reverb Decay, Reverb Pre Delay, and Reverb Tone for everyone of your 4 program slots on channel A and B.

Given that the default Spring Reverb works incombination with the HD output via L6 Link, I'd assume the DT programmed Reverb switches with the selected program slot (sected via the Type switch on the DT or via the HD Edit from the HD).

Particle Verb is on the list. I have not tried it, but supposedly you can configure the Reverb Type (Particle Verb = 12), Reverb Bypass/Enable, Reverb Decay, Reverb Pre Delay, and Reverb Tone for everyone of your 4 program slots on channel A and B.

Given that the default Spring Reverb works incombination with the HD output via L6 Link, I'd assume the DT programmed Reverb switches with the selected program slot (sected via the Type switch on the DT or via the HD Edit from the HD).

I did not know this was possible! Awesome! how do make this happen?

Get latest DT FW (update with Monkey via MIDI; I used a Cakewalk UM-3G, others work too, but some don't; check postings)

Get DT editor (free down load from a gifted user) to program your reverb

Alternatively ...

I believe I saw a post that explained how to do it with MIDI message generated by the HD, but i don't recall details

Download DT MIDI Implementation chart from L6 user documentation pages to see what MIDI messages can do for you on the DT

I think there is also a way to use an iPhon and a MIDI interface to achieve similar functions, again, I don't recall details

• Upvote 1