Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X tuner is not accurate

ChaserHUN

If you have to tune strings to each other to get better results, I would guess that the intonation on that guitar is off at least slightly. Any time you're tuning from one string to another, instead of tuning all strings (on a properly intonated instrument) to a single reference, you are going to get less reliable results.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I know a lot of old time players that still promote bad techniques. And luthiers aren't perfect either, you'll find plenty of them disagreeing with each other.

Yes but your right but what makes me convinced in this topic is that that luthier is now building true tempered necks so i don´t think he is so wrong when it comes to tuning..

The Luthiers name is Paul Guy he is located in Stockholm Sweden this is what i read on his website many years ago in Swedish of course but here it is in English

http://www.guyguitar...ing/tuning.html

He then in the 90:s met a young guitarist named Anders Thidell who was freaking out because he couldn´t get his guitar in tune so Anders started to mess with the frets on some of his guitars 

This is what he came up with

http://www.truetemperament.com/

And here you can see Anders playing on a TT neck that is even more odd

And here is some of the tunings method Paul Guy used over the years 

I have forgot about the first method as i am so used to method two but now that i remember first method is even better

Try it if you dont like it go back to what you use 

http://www.truetempe...hods-evaluated/

Yes but your right but what makes me convinced in this topic is that that luthier is now building true tempered necks so i don´t think he is so wrong when it comes to tuning..

The Luthiers name is Paul Guy he is located in Stockholm Sweden this is what i read on his website many years ago in Swedish of course but here it is in English

http://www.guyguitar...ing/tuning.html

He then in the 90:s met a young guitarist named Anders Thidell who was freaking out because he couldn´t get his guitar in tune so Anders started to mess with the frets on some of his guitars 

This is what he came up with

http://www.truetemperament.com/

And here you can see Anders playing on a TT neck that is even more odd

And here is some of the tunings method Paul Guy used over the years 

I have forgot about the first method as i am so used to method two but now that i remember first method is even better

Try it if you dont like it go back to what you use 

http://www.truetempe...hods-evaluated/

At the bottom of the description in this video it says, "Meantone Blues is not intended for use together with instruments in other temperaments."

In other the perfect guitar for the player who never leaves his bedroom! :)

I read a very interesting article on guitar tuning and guitar tuners written by an experienced sound engineer which was very enlightening and some of what he said may go some way to explaining what could be happening here which could be a combination of things related to digital tuners and electric guitars and tuning technique. If I can find the link I will post it here. 

Meanwhile, it is worth trying his suggested technique for tuning electric guitars more consistently and accurately with whatever tuner you use. His suggested method is as follows:

1) select neck pickup

2) roll off tone completely - set tone knob to zero

3) pluck the string over the 12th fret

Also, always set each string to the desired pitch at the same point after plucking the string, because the initial pluck will always make the note sharp then it settles down, so the pitch varies as the string vibrates. I usually wait a second or so for it to settle before adjusting.

You will be surprised at how much quicker the note settles down following the method above making it much easier to tune with a digital tuner.

Here is the link:

http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

This works great for me. I've been tuning like this for a couple weeks! And i've found that i have the most accurate tune i've ever had! Thanks For sharing!

At the bottom of the description in this video it says, "Meantone Blues is not intended for use together with instruments in other temperaments."

In other the perfect guitar for the player who never leaves his bedroom! :)

Did Anders said that or some in the comment field?

This is just an idea anders had i guess it is perfect in tone with itself and it was a prototype that is NOT what the fretboard look right now

Anders have made 4 of different fretboard earlyer for different kind of playing (called formula 1 2 etc) now it seems they opt for only one model ..

I uploaded this video with that very strange frets for people to understand that if the frets are straight like a railways it makes the string longer /shorter when you push down the strings on the fretboard.

Anyway maybe is Steve Vai can explained it better

One comment i saw on this topic in a guitar magazines article where they had put up a video where Ola Englund was playing a TT guitar

was "Steve Vai is gonna put it on every guitar? whatever happend to that?"

Yes he said that in this video

Well i guess that Steve has got one for every guitar model he ownes like the FLO and the 7 string some acoustics etc etc right now

It is NOT on every guitar he owns (have you seen his collection? it is probably 400 or more guitars and i guess many of them is worth alot you dont want to change anything on those guitars of course)

To do that would also take a great deal of time.

And Steve is not the only one wanting TT frets 

If you order a TT it is gonna take some time because it is luthier work to do not something you do on a CRC machine and spit out a ready neck ever 10 second

Anders company is small maybe 10 people and i dont know how many that actually work on the guitars but i know that Anders do it himself i know this as i am a friend since way back from the early 80:s

But i moved to another place in Sweden in the early 90:s so i haven´t seen him since then

In the mid 1990:s Anders was using a prototype in his band ( i have seen pictures of it) it looks almost like the one in the Video with the very strange frets

The the bass player in the band (A trio) also got one..

One friend of mine phoned me and said that he saw Anders with a guitar that had frets that looked like Z i said come on you cant play on frets like that the guitar cant be in tune.I know better nowadays

The first "rebuilt guitar" i saw Anders played and in fact the only one i tested myself (this was in the late 80:s) had 24 straight frets he had placed a fret between the original 12 fret i guess that is where he came up with the idea that he must bend the frets..

I know Steve Vai had a similar guitar ( 24 frets where the first 12 frets is) at the same time

And i guess Anders do not have some kind of american dream "oh i gonna make millions" it was not because of that Anders start his business

He was upset with the fact that a guitar is not in tune and did something about it and if he could help others out there who feel the same why not of course he must live and it is not a hobby anymore (i guess the luthier Paul Guy have helped him alot).

Anyway i just saw through the comments on the Youtube page and nothing from Anders there saying it cant be used i a band situation (As i remember Anders he was a very quit guy didn´t speak much but a very good guitar player with awesome ears he could pick up what you played in a minuet even if he didn´t  see it)

Now where was that comment?

If you clicked on the TT link you should have seen that the frets don´t look so extreme nowadays as the the one in the video

Some comments in the Youtube page was also so wrong like the one saying his LP if intonated and tuned with a strobetuner would sound equally in tune with Anders TT guitar now that is LOL

Here is the finished product played by Steve Vai with a band and i know many guitarist who use it in bands

But there is a problem though what if the neck brokes? Unless you are a Jazz dude you gonna run around and make many moves on stage not stand there like a statue

And of course there is fretworks that cant be done the normal way when frets wear down (if they do that on TT:s?)

And the frets can of course come loose from the fretboard..

So i guess those guitars is more suited for studios or very relaxed playing if you don´t own many of those of course but then you got to be rich so it is not for everyone..

I think it is a great innovation not for the ones with no "musical ears" of course

Or the ones with "i must look cool and this frets looks strange hmm maybe gay?" problems

They can use the normal guitars and they don´t hear the difference anyway

Anyway we can of course talk intonation and tunings forever Bach wrote a piece called well tempered clavier just because he was upset that the clavier wasn´t in tune with itself and the it was some sort of guide to people that you can play "sort of" in tune on this instrument

I think only instruments like a flute wich is tune to chords and barely has no overtones can be in tune with itself 

I really need to work on my English ( it was good when i talked alot but nowadays i only read and type English) I can read English very well but when i type i tend to think Swedish and then try to translate it to English when i later read it i see that the grammar is so wrong