Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Expression Pedal Toggle Between Multiple Distortion Effects

gravesleo

I want to gradually and seamlessly fade from a tube screamer into a classic distortion effect. I attempted to do this using the expression pedal by setting it to control both effects on EXP 1. The toe switch served to simultaneously activate both effects and the pedal position was adjusted so that in toe down (i.e. maximum) position the output of one effect was zero while the other would sound; and when released to the heel down (i.e. minimum) position the outputs switched.

The outcome however was that while both effects did activate with the toe switch, when the pedal was moved only one of the effects responded. 

Before I go through the trouble of figuring out a work around, is there a way I can get this scenario to work as described?

Any help would be appreciated.

No - the setup you describe won't support the pedal sweep affecting both FX simultaneously. It can only affect the currently active (ON) distortion FX.

You can begin figuring out your work around..... Maybe you can just leave both FX ON, and remove the Toe Switch activator? That way the pedal sweep will work for a smooth transition. As long as you keep the pedal at one extreme or the other you will only hear one of the FX although both are ON. The compromise is that you won't be able to use the pedal to individually control the level of only one FX (e.g. if you desire a mid-range level, with the pedal at say 50%). In that case you would hear both FX with the 50% setting.

I expect there are other ways to skin this cat. Experiment!

Actually the setup you describe works just as you have it setup.  The problem is that as the first distortion drops to zero output it trashes the tone into the second distortion.  I built a workaround for you by placing the amp after the mixer and putting each distortion in a separate channel.  I then linked them to the expression pedal and they track smoothly and the tone follows just as you would expect.  Check it out on Customtone.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/364806/

.... The toe switch served to simultaneously activate both effects ....

Actually the setup you describe works just as you have it setup. ..

I had, perhaps mistakenly, interpreted the description to mean that the Toe Switch was set to toggle the 2 FX on/off so that only one was ON at any given time, and the other OFF. In that case the pedal sweep can only affect the one that's On. But, yes, if the switch turns both FX On/Off so that both are either On or Off simultaneously, then that setup when both are in the ON state is effectively what I had suggested might work.

Thanks for building the workaround patch.