Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G50 transmitter plastic housing broken

I am a Hong Kong based user.  The "plastic" inner sleeve (for connecting to the transmitter cable) of my G50 transmitters has broken apart and fails to hold the cable properly at the female end of the transmitter cable. I learnt from the Line 6 forum that the material has been changed to "metal" in the recent years to resolve the problem.  When I walked past my local dealer "Tom Lee" the other day and inquired if I could get Line 6 to honour good repairs even my unit is out of warranty.  My dealer does not seem to know what I am talking about and immediately just asked me to send in my unit with investigation payment (of around USD30).  Not a huge amount but I didn't expect my dealer just asked for an examination fee where in this case the housing problem seems to have been reported numerously in the past and the factory has actually improved the specs to the production run.

I am seeking your guidance on how I am able to proceed and get my unit fixed via this rather uninformed dealer of Line 6 in Hong Kong. Many thanks!

sorry for my bad english. I meant I contacted the line6 dealer which is also service center (our city is very small and there is pretty much one chain for every brand).  Guess my question is to seek your guidance on Line 6's policy on granting goodwill repairs on the broken plastic housing. I bought mine a few years back but I also learnt Line 6 changed the housing to metal for later production as the plastic design was faulty. Please advise.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I came here seeking the same info. I have the exact same problem - the plastic barrel broke a couple years ago.  Since the cable terminator housing itself uses a friction fit, I was able to get away with it, but lately it's been coming quite loose to the point where I don't trust it during performances anymore.  At my last gig, I had to switch to a cable mid-song.  Fortunately when you play live enough you get used to constant little things going wrong and if you're good, you can do things like switch cables or even completely switching guitars during a song without too much bother or notice ;)  I'm really impressed with this wireless rig, and even duly impressed that I got something like a year service out of it even WHILE it was broken !!

My higher priority question though, really, is for those who *have* taken it to a service center, how much do they charge ? I have a pretty busy gig schedule through the rest of summer, I'd love to have my trusty wireless  with me but don't feel like taking the  time to go to a service center to be told a silly price.  It seems like a generic enough piece that I almost wonder if I could buy one online and replace it myself (like many working musicians I'm pretty adept at DIY on my gear).

Gotta say btw, a bandmate recently bought a different brand wireless rig (he didn't consult me first) and has had nothing but constant problems with it.  These Line 6 wireless rigs really are the no-brainer decision in my book.

Thanks y'all,

-Matt.

LoL, I actually just did some googling,and found your post from last year with the URL, heck of a coincidence.  I'm buying one right now !

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/405558.html <-- This URL is active and correct as of 2014 7/22. Costs 15 bucks plus shipping.

I paid the 18 bucks to get it here by Friday, I'd love to have my G50 back in tip-top shape for this weekend's gigs.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

LoL, I actually just did some googling,and found your post from last year with the URL, heck of a coincidence. I'm buying one right now !

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/405558.html <-- This URL is active and coirrect as of 2014 7/22. Costs 15 bucks plus shipping.

I paid the 18 bucks to get it here by Friday, I'd love to have my G50 back in tip-top shape for this weekend's gigs.

How did the repair go? Was it as straightforward as it seemed?

The transmitter for the G50's are total junk. I take care of mine and now need to replace my second one in as many years. Its the battery compartment door that keeps breaking on mine keeping the batteries from making good contact thus causing the unit to cut off. As much as I love the wireless unit thinking I need to buy something new that wont break down on me.

• 2 months later...

Hi, might as well use this thread.  I need to replace the input on my tbp12 and I have the part but not the right size torx screw bits, typical!!  Does anybody know what size I need?  I've struggled to find any information anywhere and don't want to waste any money getting the wrong stuff.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this.  I had to disassemble mine to remove stuck batteries.  None of the tool supply stores in my town sell small Torx drivers (I checked all seven) but after finding this thread I was able to order the right driver.

I have discovered the hard way that Eneloop XX batteries are too large to fit in the TBP12.  I'll have to remember to use these in my Audio-Technica transmitters, and my Energizer batteries for my Line6.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just ordered my new jack insert. I'm betting Full Compass is making boatloads of cash off selling a METAL housing instead of the cheap plastic one that breaks so easily. A word of advice to anyone with a G-50 transmitter… replace the jack first off, so you have a better one in there to begin with. Why they used a crappy plastic one in the first place, I'll never know.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have ordered a metal jack housing from Full Compass.  They told me they're out of stock on these, and it would be mid-November before I could get one.  I'm a performing musician, and use this G50 constantly.  Is this the quickest I can get one?  I've had to solder a cable directly to the pads in order to get by, and I'm concerned about the strain on the cable causing an issue with the pads.