Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Earvana installed this weekend - my experience

After being a self taught guitar player now for about 5 years, I have been frustrated over and over again by tuning issues on every guitar I played specifically on the 3rd string A near the nut. Eventually I realized that it wasn't bad guitars, out of whack truss rods, or poorly intonated guitars. It was the nature of simple mathematics as applied to guitar necks. I also have had issues with the nut on my JTV69. It was cut too low on the first string (high E) and I could never get rid of the fret buzz. So this weekend I installed an Earvana nut. I am astounded, amazed, and shocked at the improvement!

It was easy to install and needed virtually no adjustments once the guitar was strung and intonated properly. Tuning is GREAT now on those first few frets and the new nut raised the string to the perfect level with a simple straightening of the truss rod. Wow! Why did I wait this long?

• Upvote 1

I had the same experience on my Variax 500 when I first got it many years ago.  It really makes a difference if you play near the nut.  I am not sure why more guitars do not have this compensation.  There is no down side to it that I can see.  I have Earvana nuts on several of my guitars.  I have not put one on my JTV69S yet.  The nut it came with is set up perfectly - not to high not too low.  In my experience, most guitars ship with the action too high.  The Earvana makes a bigger difference when the action and string height at the nut is too high because you bend the strings sharp when you play near the nut. 

What size Earvana nut did you use on your 69?  The neck is a bit narrower than my 500.

I installed an Earvana nut on a guitar I owned years ago. I was also impressed with the improvement in tuning. I had not really considered this for my JTV 59, because I don't have any major intonation problems with it. To tell the truth I kind of forgot about the Earvana nuts. I think that because tuning and correct intonation is so critical to the success of altered tunings on the Variax guitars, Earvanas might just be a great way to make a practical improvement to a JTV. I'll have to think about putting one on my 59...

Charlie, I used the 1 5/8 size with this nut.

http://www.shop.earvana.com/Fender-Style-Retrofit-Nuts-FDRRETRO.htm

Needed a little filing on the sides but fit perfect other than that.

I'm a little confused here... the one you linked to looks like its for a Floyd Rose?  wouldn't I use the shelf nut instead for a 69?

http://www.shop.earvana.com/Fender-Style-Shelf-Nuts-FDRNUT.htm

2 different styles that they have available. One is a "shelf" which is one piece and the other listed by ajktsb is a two piece that allows you to actually adjust where the nut sits. It can slide forward or backward if you like. I think this is the original style that they offered.

I have used this style before with great success on another guitar (Variax 300) and have considered adding it to my JTV 69. Just not sure how it might work with the whammy bar. Not that I use it a lot. 

I replaced the factory installed nut with an Earvana nut on both my Variax 300 and JTV-59 guitars. I find the intonation improvement to be very noticeable.

What is involved in the process of putting an Earvana on a JTV59? I see a couple of links in their webstore for "Gibson" style I am guessing?

Gibson style shelf nut

Gibson style retrofit

I can't really say - I had it done professionally. I guess I should have said "I had the factory installed nut replaced..." :P He would have dealt with the detailed specs of which Earvana nut would fit best. As far as I know he didn't have any trouble simply removing the old nut and replacing with the new.

I have installed Earvana nuts on several guitars.  You have to remove the old nut and then fit the bottom piece in the old nut slot.  It has to fit perfectly level with the fretboard.  Then you attach the top piece with three small screws.  There are slots to slightly adjust the nut position to dial in the compensation. 

silverhead, can you tell us what the nut looks like, based on the Earvana links that ColonelForbin posted?  The slots are cut too low on my JTV-59's nut and I need a replacement.  Thanks!

What is involved in the process of putting an Earvana on a JTV59? I see a couple of links in their webstore for "Gibson" style I am guessing?

Gibson style shelf nut

Gibson style retrofit

Just measured on my '59.  It's 1-5/8"

The Retrofit is a two-piece nut and looks to be a tiny bit more customizable and complicated.  The Shelf nut is a one-piece that you just sand the bottom for height.  Too bad it's plastic, but so is the one currently on the JTV-59.

** UPDATE **

Looks like the 1-11/16" would have fit better -- the 1-5/8" shelf nut I got was just a tiny bit too narrow.  It works fine, but it should have gone with the 1-11/16" for aesthetics.  Otherwise, I'm very happy with how the first-position chords play.

Just as a side note for anyone interested:  this Epiphone case works great for the JTV-59.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D01K4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a snug fit and probably wouldn't fit with the Bigsby, but it works great for the stock guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

It will. After several weeks of waiting I finally got an email back from Earvana stating that very thing. I had asked them which one I needed before installing one on my JTV69. I waited for 2 weeks and then finally bought the one with screws and it works perfect for me. I guess that means they both will work.

I just went through the same exercise.  The company must operate on a shoestring.  Spelling errors on the website, lack of meaningful information and slow e-mail response do not inspire a lot of confidence.

Ditto.  They have been around for a long time.  I got my first nuts from them at least 8 years ago.  Same deal.  Probably a very low budget operation but their product is good and I am very satisfied with it.  They take a while to answer email questions but they do get back to you.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to have one installed on my JTV-69 and I got the exact one linked above (the Fender two-piece retrofit) and my luthier says it won't work. The bottom piece is curved and my slot is flat so the bottom piece already sits below the fretboard instead of flush. Hopefully the one-piece shelf style might work?