Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to monitor POD HD500X output signal level?

TylerSocholotuik

Hello,

I connect my XLR outputs on the PODHD500X to a set of KRK Rockit 5 monitors, and the signal is extremely weak and I have to crank the level on the speakers, the level on my monitor controller, and the master output on the POD to get adequate volume out of the speakers. I have even started boosting the levels on the mixer to about +3 dB, but I don't want to go higher than that cause I don't know if I am clipping.

I think it is pathetic that there is no indicator on the pod to tell you if you are clipping or not. Is there any way I can monitor this? There is an output meter on POD Farm, but not in the HD Edit software. 

Thanks in advance

I'm with you - a grave under sight. I monitor overload by taking the SPDIF output into my sound card. That way you can at least tell if the output is clipping. I don't know any way to tell if the internal stages are clipping other than to start at the input and route it to the SPDIF out to check, Then add the 1st FX and check again. Then add the 2nd, etc. until finally you get the whole signal chain checked out. What a pain and to tell you the truth, I've never done it. I just look at the final output. In my setup that's usually the loudest signal anyway.

It certainly would be handy to have a output meter.

It could be part of the High Definition with a Pod HD is in the processing being done .

It could be like it is in 32bit floatintg point where there actually isn't internal clipping no matter the digital overs.

Going into an amp this hot level might be beneficial. 

(Not a theory but a guess)

If you connect an output like the s/pdif to DAW you can see if it is clipping or not.

Usually you'l be able to hear digital clipping.

I connect my XLR outputs on the PODHD500X to a set of KRK Rockit 5 monitors, and the signal is extremely weak and I have to crank the level on the speakers, the level on my monitor controller, and the master output on the POD to get adequate volume out of the speakers.

The XLR outputs on POD HD500X are mic level—that is, they're designed to be sent long distances (without the need for additional DI boxes) to the front-of-house mixer and then boosted with mic preamps.

The 1/4" outputs are line level, which is much higher. If you're running directly into studio monitors, definitely use the 1/4" outputs.

• Upvote 1

The XLR outputs on POD HD500X are mic level—that is, they're designed to be sent long distances (without the need for additional DI boxes) to the front-of-house mixer and then boosted with mic preamps.

The 1/4" outputs are line level, which is much higher. If you're running directly into studio monitors, definitely use the 1/4" outputs.

Ahh, I didn't know the XLR outs were mic level.

That is kind of annoying since the 1/4" outputs are unbalanced. I don't really want to use a DI box.

You could add a VU or LED meter to the phones output with a capacitor across it as it is powered by the headphone amp built in the HD

But the line outs could drive a VU without the cap.

Just get a VU meter and a TS plug and you got one side mono. 

Of course you'd have to calibrate the meter by comparing to the metering in a DAW.

Studio monitors are not designed for a mic level input. That's no fault of the pod. As to clipping, do any pedals, amps or even rack fx (other than some compressors) have output meters?

As an earlier poster said use the 1/4 outs. I wouldn't worry about it not being balanced unless you're recording, and then you could run into a mic pre anyway.