Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Your fav all time tone?

MotherGo0se

I'm not saying you should place one above others, I'm just wondering about that particular type of sound that made you wanna buy your gear and start playing it. 

For example many people who wanted to play trash metal would focus on the sound of San Francisco metal bands in the late 80s. And they would copy those bands gear, trying to get that crunchy trash sound

I have a friend who always says when asked, what is your fav guitar, he goes Stratocaster, Why? Well, my fav sound is the sound of Pink Floyd, Ergo strat.

For me it is this gloomy, dark, slightly distorded, with lots of sustain and delay Type O sound :)))))))

Cheers

I love Tremonti and Volbeat tones but in the end I always come back to Alex Lifeson's live tone.  That blend of saturated crunch with a touch of chorus and delay just does it for me.  I could also kill for Richie Kotzen's tone from the Winery Dogs.  Still haven't been able to get that one down with my POD but fairly close...

I always come back to Alex Lifeson's live tone.

Rush is one of favorite tones for AOR, not just guitar, but the mastering on their albums is pristine.

I swear you can hear the valves glowing, shimmering and glittering on Which Hunt, like the touches used for the hunt!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slash on Appetite for humbucker tones, and David Gilmour's solo on "Time" for single coils. Sounds like his amp is actually on fire.

SRV has an excellent single coil tone too.

Def Leppard on High and Dry is really good too. Especially "Let it Go"

album version:

telecaster bridge PU

FX/amp chain:

HD500 inputs n.1/2 = guitar/variax, wah, colordrive, super-o amp, room rev. with mix at 50%, optionally a reverse delay with 1/8 time and mix at 30% synced with the song basic beats using the tap tempo switch..

it works very good for me

Thanks ... some time ago I believe you posted to "Custom Tone" your patch "Lotta L by Nico". That one seems different than what you describe above. In any case, for the solo ... should the wah be heel or toe maximized? I'm not sure of what the proper terminology is but heel maximized would mean to me that my toe would be up physically higher than my heel. BTW, I have a JTV-89F.

yes, you're right, I am the one who posted the patch that you said..

what I described in the last post is not much different than the old patch..

the main differences are the room reverb (instead of the plate rev.) with mix at 50% that helps to thicken the sound, and optionally a reverse delay to recreate that weird delay you can hear in the background in the studio recorded version..

by toe position (maximized = 100 value on display) I mean when the pedal is horizontal flat, and with heel position I mean the contrary..

it's been a while since I recorded that demo and I don't remember exactly what I did, but listening to the original track I would say that the wah should be somewhere close to toe position..

I have a Variax 700 and your JTV-89F telecaster model shouldn't be much different than the one I have, maybe the 700 version is a little brighter, not sure about that..

Thanks again ... and it makes sense about the wah. I will experiment with the settings you suggest. It already sounds much better.

-Marty

• 2 weeks later...

Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love ... especially the solo ... I have a POD HD500 and none of the patches on Custom Tone seem to nail it for me. Must be the guitarist (me) problem :-) Any suggestions for the patch?

Whole Lotta Love is the riff that got me into the guitar so it gets my vote. I also love some of the tones Matt Bellamy (Muse) gets. Mind you I bet his rig is substantially bigger than Jimmy Page's ever was!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course the Van Halen tone from the first album. Close second would be Michael Schenkers tone on the Lovedrive album by the Scorpions and his first MSG album

cgtrox

Fun fact I read somewhere a long time ago about Shenkers' tone. He said all he used were 50 watt JCM800's cranked and then he would put a little hose clamp on the gear rail of his wah pedal so that it would go right to the "sweet spot".

As far as other great tones I'd have to say one my faves is Page's from their 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert using his 59LP. The sound on DTS from the redrocks double DVD as I call it sounds incredible on my home theatre system.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...