Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Generic POD 500 vs 500x question!

keepitheavy

Hey all,

I'm about to make the transition to the HD series. Been a XT Live owner for many years and I think it's time to upgrade.

I've been lurking the forums for a long time and read countless threads on the usual 500/500x comparisons, but I can't make up my mind yet.

So, if possible, I'd like your opinion on this:

I'm on a really tight budget (what with the crisis and all) and I can find a used POD HD 500 for around 250€ here in Greece. The 500x sells for ~500€ (new). Being an active musician, playing in 3 bands - all gigging regularly, should I go for the used one or is the 500x really "worth" double the money and the wait to get that kind of cash? I know the worthiness is subjective, but in an actual live situation when you'll probably won't be able to chain a bunch of weird FXs and dual amps, is the extra DSP power, the slightly upgraded footswitches and brighter LED screen, a deal breaker?

• Upvote 1

I'll echo what TheRealZap just said. The 500X is not worth double the 500. However, a 500X can be found new for around 400 - 425 USD (293 - 312 €). I'm not sure if that's true (or can be) in Greece though. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I have a 500X, but I would have bought the 500 if I hadn't gotten such a good deal. I got my 500X for $395 on amazon.com in early April. If it hadn't been on sale, I would have probably just went with a 500. It's back up to $499 now, but there are a couple of Amazon marketplace sellers listing it at $419.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies :)

duncann: Unfortunately, as I said, you can't find a 500x for less than/around 500€ here yet... :/

Anyway, so far I see you guys are 100% positive towards buying the used 500, so I'll trust your expertise and go test it out!

• Upvote 1

The EQs are very annoying; sometimes to the point of intentionally avoiding using them. But the 500X can help with EQs in the sense that they are easier to avoid because of more DSP. More DSP means increasing the possibility of using dual cabs/mics.

• Upvote 2

Hey all,

I'm about to make the transition to the HD series. Been a XT Live owner for many years and I think it's time to upgrade.

I've been lurking the forums for a long time and read countless threads on the usual 500/500x comparisons, but I can't make up my mind yet.

So, if possible, I'd like your opinion on this:

I'm on a really tight budget (what with the crisis and all) and I can find a used POD HD 500 for around 250€ here in Greece. The 500x sells for ~500€ (new). Being an active musician, playing in 3 bands - all gigging regularly, should I go for the used one or is the 500x really "worth" double the money and the wait to get that kind of cash? I know the worthiness is subjective, but in an actual live situation when you'll probably won't be able to chain a bunch of weird FXs and dual amps, is the extra DSP power, the slightly upgraded footswitches and brighter LED screen, a deal breaker?

I have the HD500 (not the X) and gig with it once or twice per week and it has been rock solid. Whether the 500X is worth the money really depends on the type of sounds you use. If your tones are very complex, using dual amps + pitch effects etc. it may be worth spending the extra on the HD500X as you may get frustrated keep running into the DSP limit on the regular 500. If, like me, your tones tend to be fairly simple e.g. OD, amp model, modulation, delay, reverb with a bit of EQ the HD500 will be fine. Sonically the general consensus is that there is little or no difference. I believe that the footswitches are a little better on the 500X but as I said earlier I have gigged a couple of times a week with mine for the last 18 months and my HD500 has never let me down.

If you want to have fun with your patches the HD500 can still give you some whacky sounds BTW. 

• Upvote 1

Why are the EQs that annoying? Is their quality bad, or is it because of how they present each setting (they use percentages if I've seen correctly)?

For me, it's not just that some use percentages, but most also audibly clip internally way too easy, especially when placed after the amp. One of the better ones is the studio EQ. Too bad it only has two frequencies per block.

• Upvote 1