Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unclear about connecting JTV69 to computer

Does anyone else find the number of reports about used JTV instruments without the USB adapter to be a bit odd? Every single one of these was sold with the adapter and a programming cable. Cables can always be misplaced, but personally I'd ask a lot of questions about the provenance of a JTV being offered without the adapter.

I figure most of them just get lost. ..either thrown out with the box because they don't know what it is, or think they won't need it, or just plain old misplaced. Then when it comes time to sell the axe, they claim it never came with the guitar so they don't look like a tool...all other things being equal, you can safely assume that the stranger trying to sell you something is lying.

I'm also willing to bet that there are a bunch of owners who (even if they like the guitar and keep it for a while) are more casual players, take the guitar for what it is out of the box, and never even look at Workbench. It's easy to lose something you never use.

Either that, or there's a serious QC issue with packaging at the factory, and L6 needs to fire Dongle Guy...;)

Ok thanks for the advice - that's really helpful. Do you know if the older clear plastic hub works ok for the JTV 69s? I spoke to the guy selling and he's never updated the guitar as it didn't come with this connection. He's also unfortunately not got the paperwork/receipt for the guitar after a messy divorce, so I can't go to Line 6 and ask for a replacement.

Anyone know where I can get one from? I can't see them on the Line 6 store?

I guess the alternatve would be to try to find someone locally (South Manchester/Cheshire - Anyone???) who has a line 6 guitar and see if I could borrow the USB hub just to update my new guitar - but this isn't ideal. Anyone out there got a spare??

They are not listed on the Line6 store. You have to call them.

Does anyone else find the number of reports about used JTV instruments without the USB adapter to be a bit odd? Every single one of these was sold with the adapter and a programming cable. Cables can always be misplaced, but personally I'd ask a lot of questions about the provenance of a JTV being offered without the adapter.

I think the fact that these aren't sold directly by line 6 for the few pounds that they must cost to make, encourages owners to keep them even if they're getting rid of the guitar, they can then sell them on and make a good profit as they're so hard to come by.

I don't know why replacements can't be sold on the line 6 store, these are always going missing from what I've read and aren't something you need every day really.

The guy I bought my JTV 69 from said he had no need for it as he controlled workbench through an FX unit and didn't ever feel the need to update the guitars software. I saw one sell for £53 on eBay today - used. I couldn't believe it.

Line 6 should flood the market with these and make them cheap, this would prevent profiteers and make it much easier for people like me, who couldn't afford to buy a brand new Variax, but who saved for a second-hand one, to get one and enjoy the full JTV and workbench experience.

Come on line 6 sort this out and make these cheaply available to Variax owners!