Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unclear about connecting JTV69 to computer

So I received a my JTV69 today.  It included an A-to-B USB cable, a VDI cable, the wrenches, the manuals (which is another issue), the battery and the charger (and the guitar, of course :) ).

So how am I supposed to connect the guitar to the computer??  I can't find any USB port on the guitar, and the only interface item I can find for sale from Line 6 is a $100 item.  I have to say that I'll be more than a little pissed if I have to spend another $100 to use the features they sold it with.  At the very least, that should be mentioned somewhere on the guitar's page where they spend so much time discussing the software.

At any rate, do I need something else?  If so, where can I get one?  Is that $100 workbench HD thing the only option?  I have a Pod 2.0, but wasn't sure if that would work.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

All Tyler Variax's include the Workbench VDI -USB adapter box -

Workbench%20USB%20box%20FMM.jpg

check the box - if its missing contact Line6 support - or contact your dealer for a replacement for this important missing hardware adapter 

• Upvote 1

There is a new version of the interface that doesn't look anything like the above picture.  It has a USB cable hanging out and an RJ45 port on the other end that goes to the Variax VDI cable.  You should have received one of those if you did not receive one like in the picture.

I think I saw a picture of that in one of the other posts, but I didn't get it either. 

I talked to Line 6 and the guy seemed perturbed (whether at me or at AMS, I couldn't tell) but I provided my receipt and they are sending me one. 

Thanks!

That is what mine looks like that came with my JTV that I bought last August.  My serial number suggests that it was manufactured way before then. (in 2012)  I have only used that dongle a couple times.  I will probably never use it again now that I can use my Pod HD500x with workbenchHD.  I can also upgrade the JTV FW with the pod interface - which I trust much more than that dongle.

well it is thankfully the same type end used on the pod.... so you can use it for that :)
wouldn't like to use the new interface with a proper PC tower...... laptops its fine, but that weight dangling off a 2' tower.... nah, id be blu tac-ing it to the top or something :)

ok, I understand.

however the q still goes on:

the dongle can b connected 2 the pc WITHOUT any extrta cable, can it?

and the xtra cable does not connect/fit/match  2 the dongle at all, does it?

so,

why do they ship the xtra cable?

it appeared to me that the extra cable was simply a usb extension cable...

very useful if your usb's are in the back of a desktop that's on the floor or behind your desk etc.

ok, I understand.

however the q still goes on:

the dongle can b connected 2 the pc WITHOUT any extrta cable, can it?

and the xtra cable does not connect/fit/match  2 the dongle at all, does it?

so,

why do they ship the xtra cable?

very useful if your usb's are in the back of a desktop that's on the floor or behind your desk etc.

Sadly, no.  The USB cable is an A-to-B cable (like you use for printers).

ok, but the extension cable must have 1 male and 1 female end.

as far as I can c, this cable has 2 male ends.

so,.. ???

ok, but the extension cable must have 1 male and 1 female end.

as far as I can c, this cable has 2 male ends.

so,.. ???

The RJ45 cable comes out of the guitar and plugs in to one of 2 dongles.  

• There is the small black one, which has a small USB cable attached to it
  • a larger translucent one 

If you have the translucent adapter, then you need the USB A-to-B to go from the adapter to the computer.  If you have the small black adapter, then the cable is extra.  It probably was put into the box because they don't seem to always use one or the other. Chances are that trying to figure out which adapter is in the box to see if they need the extra USB cable would cost more than the cable does, so they just put it in all the boxes.

• 6 months later...

On these RJ-45 cables that plug into the JTV...

My new JTV-69 has a metal push tab on the VDI jack. Line6 Customer Support said this metal push tab is meant to release the VDI cable from the VDI jack. But so far I find I have to push the metal tab in AND fiddle with the plastic release tab on the VDI plug to get the VDI cable disconnected. Have any of you had this experience??

Thanks much.

Robert

I think you are talking about two different things.  Serafimbob appears to be describing the programming cable, not the gig cable with Neutrik RJ connectors in shells.  The programming cable that came with my JTV-69 has a bare plastic RJ-45 plug and requires that the release tab be pinched to remove it.

• 7 months later...

Hello there - this is my first post as I'm picking up my JTV tomorrow (very excited). I need advice please.

I asked the guy i'm buying it from if it includes everything and it apparently didn't come with a USB interface dongle thing when he got it new. Do you guys think this will cause me problems? Are they hard to get hold of (cheap ideally) and how often do you update your patches? Are the standard ones enough (I figure they should be) or are more important updates needed meaning I need this sub dongle?

Please advise ASAP.

Cheers

S

You are going to want to have the USB VDI Interface. It is how you perform firmware updates and connect to Workbench HD to customize the models. You can call Line6 to get one from them. I don't know the Line6 cost. I don't see anyone online that sells the one they provide with all the JTV models. They also provide a VDI cable that connects the interface to the JTV. It is actually an Ethernet cable which you can find online (http://store.line6.com/accessories/cables/variax-digital-cable.html), but you want one that is less than 10 feet for more reliable firmware updates (per Line6 staff). Even if you buy a POD unit, Line6 recommends firmware updates via the USB VDI Interface.

This is what it looks like: http://line6.com/support/topic/7893-unclear-about-connecting-jtv69-to-computer/?p=54978

Just the box on the right, not the USB cable on the left

Hello there - this is my first post as I'm picking up my JTV tomorrow (very excited). I need advice please.

I asked the guy i'm buying it from if it includes everything and it apparently didn't come with a USB interface dongle thing when he got it new. Do you guys think this will cause me problems? Are they hard to get hold of (cheap ideally) and how often do you update your patches? Are the standard ones enough (I figure they should be) or are more important updates needed meaning I need this sub dongle?

Please advise ASAP.

Cheers

S

If the guy you're buying it from really never had the USB dongle, it's entirely possible that the firmware is years old at this point (unless he was connecting through another L6 device like the POD, and updating that way). If that's the case, then you're gonna be way behind the modeling curve at this point. So yes, you will definitely need the dongle, unless of course you've got a compatible L6 device yourself.

The Workbench software is really essential to getting these guitars sounding the way you want. Once you've had a chance to mess with it for a while, there will be things that you're gonna want to tweak...that's pretty much a guarantee.

Ok thanks for the advice - that's really helpful. Do you know if the older clear plastic hub works ok for the JTV 69s? I spoke to the guy selling and he's never updated the guitar as it didn't come with this connection. He's also unfortunately not got the paperwork/receipt for the guitar after a messy divorce, so I can't go to Line 6 and ask for a replacement.

Anyone know where I can get one from? I can't see them on the Line 6 store?

I guess the alternatve would be to try to find someone locally (South Manchester/Cheshire - Anyone???) who has a line 6 guitar and see if I could borrow the USB hub just to update my new guitar - but this isn't ideal. Anyone out there got a spare??

Does anyone else find the number of reports about used JTV instruments without the USB adapter to be a bit odd?  Every single one of these was sold with the adapter and a programming cable.  Cables can always be misplaced, but personally I'd ask a lot of questions about the provenance of a JTV being offered without the adapter.