Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to avoid to switch JTV Mag-Models although "Don't force" is active

WolfgangSattler

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I would like to control my JTV for some presets on the HD500x. But although I have chosen "Don't force" for other presets they still store if the mags or the model should be used! But actually this is not what I want! 

I would like to have presets which change the JTV settings and others which really change nothing on the JTV.

Have already someone solve this problem or are you all fine with this behavior?

Regards Wolfgang

There are two issues here. 

First, if you want to control whether the patch uses the mags or the models you must set the input to Variax or Variax Mags. If you want to be able to use both in the patch, select Variax.  If you ONLY want to use the mags select Variax Mags.

Second, If you want the patch to control the model for your JTV, then you must select Tyler Variax and the desired model on the MIXER tab in HD Edit.  If you want to also force a specific alternate tuning you must select Custom in the VARIAX TUNING block and set it up too.  If you just want to use the standard tuning for your selected model then select Don't Force.

Note - You can set up a patch to use both Mags and Models by setting the inputs to Variax on 1 and Variax Mags on 2 (or vice versa).  Keep the model turned ON on your JTV, the Mags input will only allow the mags to come through but your model will be on the Variax channel.  If you turn off the model on your JTV the mags will come through on both channels.

The options are endless with this beast...

I would like to control my JTV for some presets on the HD500x. But although I have chosen "Don't force" for other presets they still store if the mags or the model should be used! But actually this is not what I want! I would like to have presets which change the JTV settings and others which really change nothing on the JTV.

• Thanks 1

Only to make my problem clearer:

My main issue that I don't see an option that the JTV is not controlled by some presets! At least the presets activate or deactive JTV models!

If you are using a JTV and do not want it controlled by the patch, set the VDI INPUT in the VARIAX block on the MIXERS tab to anything other than Tyler Variax.

• Upvote 1

If you are using a JTV and do not want it controlled by the patch, set the VDI INPUT in the VARIAX block on the MIXERS tab to anything other than Tyler Variax.

Unfortunately this doesn't work :( Tried it with 300/500/700 Acoustic and Bass. Still the state of model activation is stored with the preset.

Unfortunately this doesn't work :( Tried it with 300/500/700 Acoustic and Bass. Still the state of model activation is stored with the preset.

That doesn't make sense.  Have you done a complete system reset on the POD?  If that doesn't help then I suggest you start a support ticket.

Can you post one of your troublesome patches to Customtone for use to check out?  There may be something we are overlooking...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/5/2014 at 10:27 AM, radatats said:

Hi - hoping this will work for me.

I have JTV and HD500x.

I want the pod to force the model on a few patches but when I switch back to the patches with "don't force" I want the JTV to revert to the model selected on the model dial on the guitar.

I like to use the JTV's model selector manually with my main patches, so these are set up to "don't force" the model. Therefore if I feel like using a Les Paul or a Strat, it behaves like that guitar across all of my main 4 patches.

But I'm also setting up some specific acoustic patches with different signal routing etc. and I find that when I switch back to the main patches, the JTV stays on the Acoustic setting, even though the Lester setting (for example) has been selected on the guitar since before I changed to the acoustic patch with the pod.

Is the answer therefore to set the VDI Input to non-JTV for the main "Don't Force" patches? Will that solve the issue?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and explanation.

i was guessing this was the case through the behaviour I was seeing, but was hoping there was some way round it.

i think the answer for me will be to create a custom Variax bank for my main guitar models, so I’ll get it to default to a Lester bridge sound on my main patches but put a couple of other sounds within easy reach via the toggle switch.

Shame that the desired behaviour is not possible.

i wonder if Helix can do it... might investigate but don’t fancy upgrading just yet.

thanks again. :-)

On 6/4/2014 at 12:02 PM, WolfgangSattler said:

I would like to have presets which change the JTV settings and others which really change nothing on the JTV.

Regards Wolfgang

Just use force or don't force for each preset

Setup the input source on Variax

take care that you are on "preset" and Not on "GLOBAL"  mode

for ex:

I have a preset "don't force"  with chorus and my variax on strat setting on variax

I switch on acoustic setting(on the pod)  without change the button on variax, (stay on strat) , I play acoustic on a preset( forced)

And I come back on my chorus (preset on the pod) with  my strat setting like it was (don't force)

I can do that

No, I have a Pod Hd 500X and variax Standard

Are you connected with the VDI cable? You need the VDI variax cable to do that.

If I understand, you want  ex:

preset 1A acoustic simulation with variax

Preset 1B Crunch sound with Leister modeling(but if you change to strat he go to start just turning the variax button)

is that that you want?

Oh

I don't have this problem !

I can switch from acoustic preset to distortion  preset with my model to les pauls without touching my variax knob

Just switching the Pod Preset

Let say

ex:

My variax is on "Les pauls"

preset 1A is acoustic (variax) forced

preset 1B is Sitar(variax) forced

preset C is distortion(variax with knob on les pauls) not forced

No problem with this

You ask me to switch between these preset like I do here ,without Editor open ?

It work the same I can switch between Gibson, Acoustic and sitar and comeback ,No problem, because these preset ar saved on the Pod HD (forced and not forced)

You can do the same , but without Editor , I mean directly from the Pod

Most of time I don't use Editor !

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 8:22 PM, Punkyboy said:

But the question now is

where is the guy starting this post? lol

Here I am :-)

Actually I'm surprised that I get an answer after 5 years!!!
Meanwhile I own an Helix. (But I haven't really checked, if I have the same problem with the Helix.)

The point is:  The pod stores the status of  the Variax (model or magnetic pickup active) with the preset also if (Don't force) is chosen.

As far as I could see the videos doesn't cover deactivating modeling at all.

Nevertheless thanks a lot for you help. Great to get such support in this forum :-)

Regards Wolfgang