Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo Power amp for POD HD500

vilo1968

Hello Friends.

I'm using my POD HD500 connected to a stereo power amp (clone of the power of a Randall Century 200), with a 4 x 12 cabs with Celestion speakers seventy/80.

This stereo power amp "Colours" signal much as it produces a very sharp and scoop sound.

What power amp do you recommend to use with POD HD500? Valves or solid state?? What brands and models?

I'm a guitarist in a band of modern metal.

Thank you very much from now.

Pdt. Excuse my English

I use a Crate Powerblock in stereo into a 4x12 running stereo out of the POD into the PB's line inputs/effects loop. No coloration from the amp as far as I can tell. I'm using an eight string guitar with passive pickups in drop E (four string bass E!) and I have no problem with clarity or cut. Make sure you're tweaking your patches at volume with the band, and disable cab sims if you're going into guitar speakers. Another thing to note, the classic "metal" sound (mids cut slightly, treble & bass boosted) is recipe for pure disaster in a live setting. My main live patch is with the Rectifier model and the bass is probably at 25-30 with the Mids and highs in the 60s-70s and then presence to taste. I also like to tweak my patches with my head at speaker level and not too far away (its loud, but necessary) so I know what a microphone would be picking up in a live setting, as well. Too many people think their rig sound awesome from ten feet away, but in reality its harsh and brittle and thin because they're basing their tweaks on how it sounds off-center and out of the "beam"

• Upvote 1

I hereby second the Crate Power Block.  :D

I'm not a Crate fan per say, but these came highly recommended and when they went on sale as being discontinued, I snagged one. I've had it for 8 years with no problems at all... it's very clean, loud, bullet proof and compact (nice for traveling).

• 7 months later...

I'm using a Marshall JCM 900 with an POD XT live for the JCM 800 model. I found the JCM900 was trebly and fizzy alone. It also lacked sustain. But now with the POD going into the effects return it's very bassy. I have the output set to line, stack power amp. The amp model is set traditionally. Bass 7, mid 4, treb 6 with the gain on 5 and Cabs disabled as I have a Marshall 4x12 with 25 watt greenbacks in it. I mike the cab with an E609.  It sounds great through headphones or straight into my DAW. But not so much on stage. are there any tweaks that my work for me? I also don't want to mess up the direct out signal in case I want to run direct into the PA instead of a mic.  If I have to make 2 sets of patches, one for stage and 1 for studio so be it. But I really want to get this Marshall revved up for the AC/DC tribute. Any help would be appreciated.

I used to use velocity 100, then velocity 300, and now mesa 50/50 tube power. The tube power is a pretty big improvement for band/gig use. Up at high volumes it shines vs the solid state amps, and lets you use the HD Pre-amps vs full models. Since i've been using the preamp models with the 50/50 my rig really sounds like any other all tube head (i play in a band with another guitarist using a soldano HR50 and various marshalls), only way more versatile. Good speakers help a ton too - V30's were the finishing touch to my tone - really put it over the top.

• 3 weeks later...

Crate power block. Every time I see one on CL or eBay I'm tempted to buy it just because. I'm currently using mine as part of an active power soak, but I used it with a modeler for years. If my main tube amp I'm using for gigs doesn't work,I have patches in my HD to model straight into the crate.

Guitar (Variax or electric) --> HD500X --> L6 link --> DT25 combo stack #1 --> L6 link --> DT25 combo stack #2.  Sounds and feels amazing - truly a comprehensive dream rig.  Love it.

Fyi - "combo stack" = DT25 1x12 combo amp on top of a DT25 1x12 extension cab.  The big Mesa cab in the center is unused.

post-1891372-0-79943600-1423514009_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've got a HD500x on the way.  Haven't tried it yet with my rig, but I've been using a Boogie 50/50 with my other modelers for a few years.  HUGE improvement over the Velocity.  I use the Boogie to drive two 4x12 cabs at live shows.  It romps.

If you can pick up a 50/50 used its well worth.

Guitar (Variax or electric) --> HD500X --> L6 link --> DT25 combo stack #1 --> L6 link --> DT25 combo stack #2.  Sounds and feels amazing - truly a comprehensive dream rig.  Love it.

Fyi - "combo stack" = DT25 1x12 combo amp on top of a DT25 1x12 extension cab.  The big Mesa cab in the center is unused.

That double stack is sooooooo awesome looking. Seriously. Love it!!! How has patch building been going for that?

I've used a Valvestate Head on occasion and it does sound real good - into either a 4x12 or 2x12. Bottom line is most any will sound good but you will have to put some time in adjusting the patches and output settings per rig.

-B

That double stack is sooooooo awesome looking. Seriously. Love it!!! How has patch building been going for that?

Hi ColonelForbin, patch building was initially a bit weird until I figured out a couple key settings. Most of which are second nature and are intuitive now, given some thought.

In the POD HD EDIT software, on the Mixer tab in the L6 LINK and MAIN MIX sections:

If using a single amp (or single preamp) patch:

Amp 1 Audio = Left, Amp 1 Control = Amp 1

Amp 2 Audio = Right, Amp 2 Control = Amp 1

Main Mix = Pan both paths to CENTER.  No need to pan out to L & R since there is one (pre)amp in use.  Note, any stereo effects are still actually heard in stereo.  For example, the ping pong delay audibly bounces back & forth between the L & R combo stacks even though the panning in the Main Mix is set to center for both path A and path B.

If using a dual amp (or dual preamp) patch:

Amp 1 Audio = Left, Amp 1 Control = Amp 1

Amp 2 Audio = Right, Amp 2 Control = Amp 2

Main Mix = pan Path A to 100% L, pan Path B to 100% R then boost both LEVEL sliders up 6 db to compensate for the loss during panning.  (I think that last part is correct, to the best of my knowledge).  The 100% pan L & R enables each combo stack to essentially become the amp model in that given path.

Another thing I've found is that although the cab models sound initially cool when starting a new patch, they really don't hold up when tweaking further for some reason.  IMHO, generally, the preamps with no cab sim hold up the best with these combo stacks, especially at high volumes.  I've read that when using the DT amps with the 500(x) and not just 500(x) standalone, that it's best to use preamps and no cabs since the DT is a real amp & speaker.  After much experimenting I agree with that almost all the time.

On the AMPS tab, one of the most important settings is the Topology setting.  The Topology setting can speed getting just the right tone and I've found it can be a huge time saver instead of EQing and tweaking endlessly.  I've been surprised at how often I've paired up the "wrong" Topology setting with an amp and had it sound killer.  I didn't expect that benefit.

To a lesser extent, the Class A vs Class AB setting makes a difference too of course.  Much of the Class difference seems to affect the feel of the amp more than the tone.  It affects the tone too, but just not as drastically as the Topology setting.

I usually only use the Triode MODE setting for vintage-y tones, which makes sense I guess.  I really love the JTV Semi middle position with Class A, Topology 3 and Triode for a basis for a gritty chimey classic vintage tone.  Seems to pair nicely with the AC-15, AC-30, Divide and Gibtone models.

Rock & metal are more my thing, and I couldn't be happier with this rig.  I'm very much looking forward to the 2.6 firmware and amp packs!

Ok, well that was long-winded.  Thanks for hangin' in there!