Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line Out Mono / Stereo Difference

stickgabry

hi! i have a doubt , what's the difference (sound difference) if i send my sound to amply via line out left (mono) without pluging the right and if i plug the right line out sending to another device different to the amply?

the left sound change or remain the same?

sorry for my english

Gabry

Depending on how you have the pan controls set in the mixer block, there can be a level difference between using one of the 1/4" outputs and using them both. When using one, the signals are summed. If you use them both the left and right sides are separated. It seems like Line 6 has some sort of pan rule assigned to the 1/4" outputs, so when you have the mixer block controls panned hard left and right to separate tones, there may be a level difference if you go between using just one of them or both of them.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guru, in name and in facts! :)

and if i use the left line out (mono) and the balanced left (jack cannon) i think to have the same signal with the same level for each one.. is correct??

thankssss

Gabry

If you are asking about balanced XLR outs - there is no mono out on them, they are always stereo (left and right).

Depends what your trying to do if you are using single amps and mono FX then I don't think there's any biggy here to be honest.

I used to use Jack Left (summed) to amp (or more precisely monitor)  and a single XLR (left) to the mixer. In the case of the XLR as phil_m says you need to play around with panning. In a mono situation I used to simply Pan centre and I noted no difference in sound between the jack out or XLR and to be honest I would expect none.

One other thing I noted that panning both channels hard left or hard right (depending on the XLR out in use) would increase the signal level, but unless you have a problem with the gain on the mixer its probably a pointless observation.

To be frank I also got hung up on this for a while and then the light went on and I got back to playing music!

• Upvote 1