Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench compatibility with Pod hd500x and variax 300?

ioscommuter

I own an hd500x that I have not yet connected to my computer, and recently purchased a variax 300 on ebay.

I have seen posts saying that workbench is not compatible with the 500x but these were old forum posts and I was wondering if there was a current version that was compatible? Will workbench work with the variax 300 through the hd500x?

In short, what software version should I be using with my hd500x and variax 300?

POD HD500X and the old Workbench (version which worked with non-JTV Variax) does not work.  If you wish to use WorkBench with your Variax 300 you will need a POD HD500 or older POD device w/ a VDI interface. Or get the USB thing which can still be had for *meager* price fo $99 new. 

as others have stated... you simply won't be able to use your pod 500x as a variax interface...

you can use the port to power and play... just won't be able to use the software to modify your variax without buying an older pod or the interface...

• 2 weeks later...

Great- bye bye then to my 2 new hd500x units and back to the hd500's. You could at least stated that in your promo package BEFORE people dropped bucks on a "NEW" inproved unit ! Slowly and cautiosly backing away from Line 6 after this really bad R & D decision. I'm thinking if you want people to use MORE of your new products, you'd at least make them compatable with the older items. In my case, i use  Variax 600 and 700 series guitars, and WAS going to go with JTV's also, but this info shot that in the A@%^. So i would have tp have 2 sets of PODs for each series of guitar,pretty silly. (I know the JTV will work with the  HD500, at least you got that much right after much customer comments, but that does not bring the original Variax line into the fold with the HD500x). Is there even a whisper of a chance someone there will see the light?

• Upvote 1

I believe that the "fix" would require an update to the original workbench software which is legacy and will not be updated.

500x will work with the older variaxes just fine... simply not as an interface to the old workbench software.

you can get the standalone interface, or an older pod to make changes.

for me making changes the models was a rare occurrence, to others maybe not...

if you were to eventually get a JTV it comes with the interface that the jtv wouldn't need because you have the pod...

but you could use it for the older variaxes.... although if you had a JTV you'd probably find yourself messing with the older variaxes less and less....

unfortunately i don't think any of that's the answer you want...

but for clarity... the older variaxes can be played 100% with the HDx models....

just cannot be used as an interface for the workbench software.

• Upvote 1

I don't use Workbench that often so  I don't find this to be a big problem.  My HD500x works just fine with my Variax 500 and my JTV 69S through the VDI cable.  It supports the model switching and other stuff.  Line6 is not going to update the old Workbench.

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda understand that support for products at some point will cease. BUT I agree fully with bob1474 that this should have been communicated more clearly. I purchased the HD500X because the VDI input on my XT Live is broken and I would still like to play with my older Variax 300 once every while. Should I have known about the incompability I would have probably bought the HD500. I can still return the new unit, but that now feels like a step back. So al in all, not a happy customer.

Yes I know. But I used to fiddle with my tunings every now and then (Rolling Stones coverband) so I really miss workbench. There are some options (returning the 500X and getting the 500 but this feels like a step backwards even though the differences are minimal OR buying the USB interface, unfortunately they still are around $100). I just would have liked a simple statement in the manual and promo info: Variax 300/600/700 owners beware, Workbench not supported anymore. Then I could have made the choice for the HD500 beforehand. That's all. Now I'm dissappointed.

And another thing: it could have been stated in Monkey, as well. Now my Variax just didn't show up, making me think there was something wrong with cables, Variax or whatever. Such a shame, since I think it's a great product anyway. It just doesn't feel right. And no, I'm not going to buy a JTV. Would like to. But can't afford it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I can't believe I payed 1.400 Euro to buy a guitar with great capabilities and after spending for a POX XT Live and PRO (not working so well at all), now that I bought a HD500X, I can't edit my Variax 700 if I don't spent still some money. Are you joking?

My HD500X will cost 100euro(VDI) more than what I payed for using it with my Variax, this is absolutely dishonest.

I have chosen HD500X by Line 6 instead other manufacturers just for being able to use my Variax, that now I can resell only for 1/3 of the original price.

ABSURD!!!!

Really thanx

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I believe that the "fix" would require an update to the original workbench software which is legacy and will not be updated.

500x will work with the older variaxes just fine... simply not as an interface to the old workbench software.

you can get the standalone interface, or an older pod to make changes.

for me making changes the models was a rare occurrence, to others maybe not...

if you were to eventually get a JTV it comes with the interface that the jtv wouldn't need because you have the pod...

but you could use it for the older variaxes.... although if you had a JTV you'd probably find yourself messing with the older variaxes less and less....

unfortunately i don't think any of that's the answer you want...

but for clarity... the older variaxes can be played 100% with the HDx models....

just cannot be used as an interface for the workbench software.

That makes more sense. I assumed that they just decided to leave out code for the 500x which would be asinine. The old workbench simply not being able to detect a 500x is fine. I assumed they could of just made it recognize a 500x as a regular 500 via code.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Gents, I have a POD HD500 and I cannot reach workbench with my Variax 500. It is fine with the interface, but I would love to decrease the number of cables and use the POD's interface - actually that is the reason I bought the Pod500 instead of the 300...

Also I am missing the ON/OFF buttons from these products, I have to buy a switchable power distributor to turn my rig on and off if I do not want to crawl under the table each time?

Gents, I have a POD HD500 and I cannot reach workbench with my Variax 500. It is fine with the interface, but I would love to decrease the number of cables and use the POD's interface - actually that is the reason I bought the Pod500 instead of the 300...

Also I am missing the ON/OFF buttons from these products, I have to buy a switchable power distributor to turn my rig on and off if I do not want to crawl under the table each time?

Everybody is missing a power switch, and yes it's the most asinine thing ever, and a common gripe. There's never been a satisfactory explanation offered as to why they didn't bother to put one in the unit, which suggests top me that it was a pathetic attempt at cost-savings, but we'll never know. They do seem to have learned their lesson though...enough people have complained about it that I recall one of the L6 guys who posts on here regularly had said that they won't be doing that again, lol.

I have a POD HD500 and I cannot reach workbench with my Variax 500

Be sure you are using the files specific to your HD500 , and be sure you are using Workbench - (not Workbench HD) 

I would use Line-6 Monkey to get you sorted out 

It is not the 500x (can't afford that :D ), the workbench itself is the proper 1.75 version, as the Monkey refuses to install the 2.x versions anyway. The problem comes from the POD as I can setup everything just fine via the guitar's plastic interface. There shall be a setting to adjust I guess. You guys are my last hope.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am a variax 700 and I just bought a Helix. It is kind of amazing to me how Line 6 is treating the first adopters for the first gen of variax. That guitar is what? 12 years old? No longer supported? Ridiculous. I have supported and used Line 6 for a long time but I think I will pass on the JTV. Too bad.

I am a variax 700 and I just bought a Helix. It is kind of amazing to me how Line 6 is treating the first adopters for the first gen of variax. That guitar is what? 12 years old? No longer supported? Ridiculous. I have supported and used Line 6 for a long time but I think I will pass on the JTV. Too bad.

Pre-JTV Variax guitars are strictly computers with a man-machine interface designed for guitarists. They do not have standard analog guitar electronics. In today's technology world, 12 years is an amazingly long time for a computer to continue to work. And no computer manufacturer continues to support twelve year old products in terms of interoperability with their newer technologies. Try loading Windows 10 on your PC that was brand new in 2004, or using its built-in 300 baud dial-up modem to surf today's web.

Pre-JTV Variax guitars continue to be supported in terms of repairs, but beginning with the HD500X (VDI - Workbench interface), and now Helix, they are no longer supported. I think it's more than reasonable timing for an inevitable decision.

• 4 months later...

Reading the sobering and frustrating posts and have to agree with "mourningwood."  I too have a Variax 300, loved the flexibility of the Workbench interface and the stunning "zero lag" playing response in ANY tuning and any custom mod.  I've got the User patches all over the place, with several "open" tunings and one that's a sweet combo of an electric bass on the bottom and a Les Paul on the top.  Killer stuff!  But now I know that NONE of this can ever be fixed or modified since I'm typing on a Windows 10 machine.  Makes me think maybe I should have kept the old XP workhorse in the closet just so I could fire it up and fiddle with my fine old 300.

And no, I'm not gonna run out and get several thousand dollars in new gear just to tinker in my back room.  Guess I'll have to pray the old original Variax stays alive and never fails...

• Thanks 1

Why is it that so many folks expect older products to be supported forever? The digital world is never gonna work that way. If you want gear to last for decades, unmolested by firmware updates and backwards compatibility issues with newer stuff, then a tube amp and a bunch of pedals is the way to go. Those things have served (and continue to serve) generations of guitarists quite well. Analog gear will outlive us all. Will it to your kids....

..  But now I know that NONE of this can ever be fixed or modified since I'm typing on a Windows 10 machine.  Makes me think maybe I should have kept the old XP workhorse in the closet just so I could fire it up and fiddle with my fine old 300.....

Yes, keeping an old XP system is the way to go if you want to keep old technology working. And those who want top keep their Variax JTV/Standard working with Workbench HD in the future should take note of the last OS supported by Line 6 for those products (when that time inevitably comes some years from now) and keep a machine of that vintage on hand. By that time I expect Line 6 will have released the next generation of the Variax/Workbench products whatever/whenever they may be.

This applies to any Windows (and Mac) based programs that have been around for decades, in all industries. It's certainly not unique to Workbench or to Line 6. On my shelf right now I see boxes and CDs of Microsoft Project 2002 and Microsoft Small Business 2003. Neither of those products work on my Win10 system. Time to throw them out. Microsoft has long since stopped supporting those dinosaurs as new versions of Windows were released.

The good news is that your Variax 300 continues to work, and so would Workbench if you had an old XP system.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, keeping an old XP system is the way to go if you want to keep old technology working. And those who want top keep their Variax JTV/Standard working with Workbench HD in the future should take note of the last OS supported by Line 6 for those products (when that time inevitably comes some years from now) and keep a machine of that vintage on hand. By that time I expect Line 6 will have released the next generation of the Variax/Workbench products whatever/whenever they may be.

This applies to any Windows (and Mac) based programs that have been around for decades, in all industries. It's certainly not unique to Workbench or to Line 6. On my shelf right now I see boxes and CDs of Microsoft Project 2002 and Microsoft Small Business 2003. Neither of those products work on my Win10 system. Time to throw them out. Microsoft has long since stopped supporting those dinosaurs as new versions of Windows were released.

The good news is that your Variax 300 continues to work, and so would Workbench if you had an old XP system.

I haven't been in these forums since back in the day of the Vetta , but spent most of my time in Vettaville/Institute of Noise.I was browsing through for some old links, I see the old data base is gone.

I can report that the Variax 300 and 500 work perfectly with Workbench,Gearbox using an X3 Live  as the Interface.

Older machine, I have been using with my "older " gear since 2006.. XPS M1710 T7600G Core2Duo 4GB RAM... Windows 10 LTSB...

ALL programs and drivers installed without any connectivity issues or need for compatibility mode.

Windows 10...Line 6 Monkey v1.74...Line 6 Drivers v4.2.7.6...GearBox v3.72...Variax Workbench v1.75

variax_300_WB_GB_WIN_10.pngvariax_500_WB_GB_WIN_10.png

ok let me know if i am understanding this correctly.... Workbench HD is not compatible with my Variax 500 even though i am using the POD HD500 as an interface and if i want or need to use workbench i have to install the older version which won't run on Win 10.  does that about cover it?

What about Win 7?  Will workbench (not HD) run on Win 7?

• 5 months later...

There is a lot going on in here and I’m getting a little lost. I’m a lefty and it’s EXTREMELY difficult to find left handed Variax guitars and they’re limited to Variax 500 it seems. I own a Pod Hd500x and found a Lefty Variax 500 that I’d like to buy IF it works together. What does and doesn’t work with that rig??

There is a lot going on in here and I’m getting a little lost. I’m a lefty and it’s EXTREMELY difficult to find left handed Variax guitars and they’re limited to Variax 500 it seems. I own a Pod Hd500x and found a Lefty Variax 500 that I’d like to buy IF it works together. What does and doesn’t work with that rig??

Yes the Pod HD500X does support the Variax 500 in terms of storing Variax models in HD500X presets. However, it does not support Variax Workbench in terms of being a USB hardware interface. The HD500X supports Workbench HD and Variax guitars beginning with the JTV models. Workbench HD does not support the older Variax models. If you want to use Variax Workbench with the Variax 500 you will need to use the Variax Workbench interface hardware.

Gotcha. I’m new to the Variax setup so humor me while I catch up. So with the Pod I can change tunings and the guitar modeling on the Variax but without the workbench hardware/software I have to work off of what’s already built into the brain of the guitar already?