Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi all!

Im having problems with Pickup height adjustment. The former owner adjusted

The neck and the pickup's because he used it for Slide playing.

So it would be very nice if anyone could help me with the settings.

I would asume that this will also effect the Acoustic guitar sound, because

The sound of the Acoustic's is not nearly as good as demo's and 700's i have testet.

Unless they are way too close to the strings, they are not affecting your modeled sounds.  To get the most from the acoustic models, you need a full range sound system.  They do not sound very good through a guitar amp.  Adjust the pickups away from the strings if you think they may be too close to them.

Hi Charlie thank you for your'e response.

Im running my Variax thru Line 6 A/B split pedal, into Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2 Mixer and out too quality

BW Speakers and a Bose P.A system so i don't think that's the problem :).

I also have a Flextone 3 , a Peavey 50w 4x10 that i use for electric use.

I think it sounds okay in straight Pickup mode without modulation.

copied from Stratocaster® Setup Guide | Fender Support | Fender®

PICKUPS

Set too high, pickups can cause myriad inexplicable phenomena. Depress all the strings at the last fret. Using a 6" (150 mm) ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the first and sixth strings to the top of the pole piece. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be greatest at the sixth-string neck pickup position, and closest at the first-string bridge pickup position. Follow the measurement guidelines in the chart below as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull from the pickup.

Bass Side                Treble Side

Texas Specials            8/64" (3.2 mm)        6/64" (2.4 mm)

Vintage style              6/64" (2.4 mm)          5/64" (2 mm)

Noiselessâ„¢ Series   8/64" (3.2 mm)          6/64" (2.4 mm)

Standard Single-Coil 5/64" (2 mm)            4/64" (1.6 mm)

Humbuckers              4/64" (1.6 mm)          4/64" (1.6 mm)

Lace Sensors As close as desired (allowing for string vibration)

from http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Adjusting_Stratocaster_Pickup_Height_Pt-1

Okay, here are the specs I use to set the heights for each Strat pickup. These measurements make a very good starting point for any Strat with standard Strat single-coils:
Bridge pickup
• Low-E string: 2.5 mm/0.0984"
• High-E string: 2.0 mm/0.0787"

Middle pickup
• Low-E string: 3.0 mm/0.1181"
• High-E string: 2.5 mm/0.0984"

Neck pickup
• Low-E string: 3.5 mm/0.1378"
• High-E string: 3.0 mm/0.1181"

4 further reading seach 4 "stratocaster pickup heights specs"....

rgds/john

• Upvote 1

It is very strange ,the rest of the Guitar has been setup at a local guitar "guru" , so its very nice to play

Nice straight neck Low action and perfect intonation.

I didn't ask him to check the pickups only the setup off the guitar.

Note.

I tok of the Neck and under the Seat of the neck it was a thick layer of Paint uneven spread, so the neck didn't have directly contact

With the Wood. It was drops of Paint maybe 0,5-1mm thick.

Ihad to sand it down so it had contact with wood and was then better seated.

Im not satisfied.

Your pickups don't sound too close.  They have nothing to do with the modeling but they can affect the string vibrations if they are too close just on any  normal guitar.  It sounds like you are happy with the setup now.  My 69S came set up pretty well.  I tweaked the action a bit and adjusted the intonation.  It was off on the low E and A.  Easy adjustments - that I have had to make on any guitars I have purchased new. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Anybody actually got a Standard that has been setup correctly? If so can they publish their specifications - Neck Bow, String Heights and pickup heights. That would be a big help.

Many Thanks in advance.

My Standard arrived as if the parts had just been screwed together no thought about assembly at all apart from it had all the bits on it LOL.

Anybody actually got a Standard that has been setup correctly? If so can they publish their specifications - Neck Bow, String Heights and pickup heights. That would be a big help.

Many Thanks in advance.

My Standard arrived as if the parts had just been screwed together no thought about assembly at all apart from it had all the bits on it LOL.

Brace yourself for the inevitable "official" declaration that only an "authorized service center" is capable of setting it up properly...then ignore it.

Fancy electronics notwithstanding, it's still a guitar. Set it up the same as you would anything else. Make it comfortable. A set-up is only "good" if the result is a guitar that's playable for YOU...and much of it is personal preference. Pickup height, if set too close to the strings can start to mess with the modeling, particularly the alt tunings. Single coils tend to have strong pole pieces, so if you're close enough to muck up the modeling, it's likely that they're also close enough to make setting the intonation difficult... which you obviously wouldn't want, even without the Variax guts as a consideration. The point? Treat it like any other guitar with single coils, and you'll be fine. Don't obsess over "specs". Common sense is just as good as a bunch "official" numbers.

If I can jump in here, no one has mentioned string gauge, which has a major effect on string dynamics and acoustic sounds. I use 50/11's on my Variax 700 and JTV-59, and my acoustic models sound realistic... especially through a PA. I also have a 700 acoustic, and L6 recommends acoustic strings for that: I use Martin Flexible Core 52/11's. It's simple physics: Fatter strings produce richer acoustic resonances. The piezos/pickups and onboard electronics model the guitar's tonal qualities, but the resonant acoustic richness you get depends very much on string gauge. It's the first link in the chain. So... If you're using slinky 46/9's, you'll need to compromise to get the best of both electric and acoustic worlds.

Don't "fret" pickup height too much. You'll have to lower your poles for fatter strings: too close and the magnetics will dampen string vibrations... lower on the low E; higher on the high E. You'll also want to get equal intensity from both ends so one doesn't overwhelm the other. Here a link to a great 6 part series by Joe Walsh on how to set up your guitar: it covers everything from neck bow to pickup height. If anyone knows, he does.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iKTXTWbI4FU

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1