Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

do cabinet models account for combo speakers?

ricstudioc

Alrighty then -

Finally found some free time, updated my 25-112 to 2.0 - no problems, shot right in.

Heh heh - OK, this is too much fun, fired up dtedit and began pickin' models for positions 1-4 on A & B.  Again, no probs, smooth as silk.

But the thought occurs - I went ahead and let the cab models load in with the preamp models, certainly each position has it's own sound, but do the cabinet models take into account the response curve of the physical speaker?  Or are they strictly the "DI" use models from the HD's without any compensation?  (And if not - heck, why not?  They could certainly model the DT's own physical cab, use it as a "filter" of sorts for the modeled cabs.  Just wishin..)

And while I'm asking - first live gigs with the DT I've gone with the DI out, our sound guy's been happy with what he's getting for FOH.  If I leave the modeled cabs in place, I assume they go to the DI - but if not, is it just some sort of "generic" speaker emulator going to the DI, or is it modeled on the actual response of the DT cab itself?

As always, insights welcomed!

Ric

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ricstudioc,

Here's a few thoughts:

Alrighty then -

Finally found some free time, updated my 25-112 to 2.0 - no problems, shot right in.

Heh heh - OK, this is too much fun, fired up dtedit and began pickin' models for positions 1-4 on A & B.  Again, no probs, smooth as silk.

But the thought occurs - I went ahead and let the cab models load in with the preamp models, certainly each position has it's own sound, but do the cabinet models take into account the response curve of the physical speaker?  Or are they strictly the "DI" use models from the HD's without any compensation?  (And if not - heck, why not?  They could certainly model the DT's own physical cab, use it as a "filter" of sorts for the modeled cabs.  Just wishin..)

And while I'm asking - first live gigs with the DT I've gone with the DI out, our sound guy's been happy with what he's getting for FOH.  If I leave the modeled cabs in place, I assume they go to the DI - but if not, is it just some sort of "generic" speaker emulator going to the DI, or is it modeled on the actual response of the DT cab itself?

As always, insights welcomed!

Ric

Using the PRE-amp models are definatly the way to go with this kind of setup. To answer your question YES the DT's speaker is taken into acount with the HD's modeling to come through as genuine as possible. Its a 12" customer made flat response speaker. With this set up taking the output options into acount makes a huge difference due to the POD HD being designed for more solutions other than live use. Holding down the View button will give you output options. Since your running into a DT, using the second output option "combo stack" will give you the speaker modeling without the mic and air modeling giving you the ideal live set up. Using the simulated out in the back is another option that is modeled after the DT's cab and will only give you that tone.

Howdy Nick -

Thanks for the input - so to be clear, the DI out on the amp DOES in fact model the combo's own speaker response?  Cool. 

I went back in and removed the speakers models from the amp, am now just EQ'ing based on the onboard speaker.  I've done the same with my HD patches when using Link.  Just seems like too many variables to muck about with, and certainly the combo speaker sounds fine.

As mentioned above, our sound tech thinks what he's getting from the DI sounds good, and I trust his ears - was just curious to know how closely that matched what I'm hearing from the amp...

Thanks!

Using the simulated out in the back is another option that is modeled after the DT's cab and will only give you that tone.