Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500x 4CM loud hiss/glassy noise

jschires

Im hoping someone has ran into this issue and knows what it is. All aspects of the 4CM works and I have tried different cables. There is a very noticeable hiss or glassy sound and noticeably increased feedback, even when only running effects such as delay or reverb. Im using a Bugera 333xl infinium head (tube).

Any pointers or help would be great in resolving what this is from or how to correct it.

then may b there is something going on with the f/w.

have u tried reflashing latest f/w?

or,

ur patch has 2 much gain?

I was going to suggest checking the gain levels, too. Too much gain can cause noise like that, and I would say to also make sure the presence isn't too high. Too much presence makes a sizzly sound that can be noisy depending on other settings in the patch.

• Upvote 1

4CM is always a hassle getting levels set properly.  You have to understand that there are so many variations to the signal strength starting with the POD FX send to the amp in, the Bugera FX send, the POD output and the Bugera FX return.  I generally set the POD FX and output to Line but you may need to try Stomp or Amp to lower the signal strength.  The Bugera also has calibrated Level controls for both the FX send and return.  Turn to the right to increase and to the left to decrease. 

1 - try lowering the Bugera FX return signal using the calibrated Level controls. From the manual: To achieve a possibly noise-free signal, set the FX Send Level (23) relatively high and the FX Return Level relatively low.

2 - if that doesn't help try switching the POD FX send from LINE to STOMP.

3 - Also the POD Master should be at least half way up.  You want a good signal to noise ratio but not a super hot signal.

4 - Try to set the levels so that each stage is similar in volume to just having the guitar plugged into the amp.  It takes a lot of plugging/unplugging of cables...

• Upvote 1

Ill definitely try that and see what happens. I have tried alot of different settings and played with the sends/returns a bit but will try again...Messing with those makes getting a good unity volume set up. Thanks for the tips!

I'm a new user and had the same 4CM question. After troubleshooting with a "New Tone" patch with nothing on it except for the FX Loop, I found two sources of interference.

1. The FX Line/Stomp switch - Line was too much. Switched to Stomp and that removed some of the interference (hiss).

2. USB connected to my PC - This was the main source of noise. After unplugging the USB from the HD500X, there was silence and the 4cm sounded pretty much like my amp. I tried several USB cords with the same results (they all made noise).

Thanks!

... USB connected to my PC - This was the main source of noise. After unplugging the USB from the HD500X, there was silence and the 4cm sounded pretty much like my amp. I tried several USB cords with the same results (they all made noise)....

Check out this one:

Its not a USB issue...Its the same glassy howl whether my laptop is connected or not, even on stage. Ive tried the steps above and have "lowered" the irritating noise somewhat, but its still there. Im not being picky either, the other guitarist on the other side can hear it between songs. I have plugged both the amp and POD into the same power conditioner, plugged them in to different areas, replaced cords, just about everything I can think of. One difference I did notice last night was that it "pretty much" goes away when using my CLEAN channel of my amp (its still there but much less noticeable). This is with just delay or maybe reverb on the POD. It increases dramatically when switching my AMP to the gain channel.

What happens if you go straight into front of amp? Front of amp but put patch cable from out to in on fx loop in pod? Just make a blank patch with fx loop and try that.

Then try the above options straight into your fx return. See if any other ways give you noise.

I watched the video above and its not the "static" noise like he's getting...its a very weird glassy type howl is the best way I can explain it.

I watched the video above and its not the "static" noise like he's getting...its a very weird glassy type howl is the best way I can explain it. 

You may need to have your amp serviced as it sounds like there may be a bad cap or component in the gain channel, perhaps associated with the FX loop.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I have your identical setup (hd500 + 333xl inf.) and I have a big problem about, squealing and feedback particularly in high volume situation

try to start a new patch following this documents:

I found an 'half'  solution to all my problems.

Not all problems but is a good starting point to begin.

let me know if it helped