Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic Barely Audible

Hey so I'm new to home recording and have a Shure SM58 hooked to the ux2. I'm am using garageband for track recording and am having an issue where I can barely hear my mic at full volume without cranking up gain settings on garageband. I have tried messing with the gain knobs on the ux2 but that results in either noise or feedback. I have also tried using the preamps on pod farm 2 without success. Any suggestions? I'm using a MacBook Pro 2012 2.6 GHz

You are using an XLR-XLR cable, correct?   I am not familiar with garageband, but in most DAWs you have to select the correct inputs from your interface - make sure you have the mic inputs selected and routed correctly (i.e. mic 1 > track 1, etc.)

You mention feedback - you should have any monitor speakers you are using turned off when using a microphone (use headphones to listen to prerecorded tracks and to monitor what you are recording).

Yes I am using an XLR to XLR. The inputs are correctly selected I can hear the mic. The Issue is that I have guitar tracks in my project that were recorded using the ux2 and the mic track is inaudible when I play them together unless I boost the gain. In doing so reduces the clarity of the vocals I recorded. Thanks for the monitoring tip definitely solved that issue!

Did you record the dry track for the mic? If so you will need to add the POD Farm 2.5 plug-in the the track.

This of course assumes you have the PF 2.5 plug-in. If you recently purchased a black faced POD Studio, this would be the case.

One mistake many people make when first staring out doing computer recording is recording too hot.   Your peak meters should be reading -18dB to -12dB when tracking.

Sounds like you just need to reduce the volume of your guitar playback tracks.