Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking of buying need advice

Howdy!

I'm thinking of purchasing a JTV-59P because I can get one on sale and I don't have a guitar that has P-90's in them, plus the scale length is like that of a Les Paul, or so I've read. And I'm starting to really dig the smaller scale length now that I'm getting old.  And I've read they put .10's on the guitar which I'm using now. 

I used to have a Line 6 Variax 600, but I sold it because it had one problem that just nagged on me: the weird palm muting sound, especially when distorted. Plus it had some weird overtones at times and I didn't care for the tremelo. 

The main reason I want to get one is because of the ability to store custom tunings and a few of the models. I have a few guitars, but I don't really care for tuning one in open E, one in G, and so forth. I do use a few guitars for E-flat tuning, I tried that with the Variax 600 and couldn't get past the weird sound. I know about the 3 position switch versus the 5 position switch, and that doesn't really bother me much. I'm more interested in the Lester, Special, RBilly, Semi, and Jazz-box sounds (maybe the D-28 and the 12 string too). 

I am hoping you guys can answer some questions for me. 

1) Is the palm muting on the HD models more realistic? 

2) Any weird overtone issues or palm muting with the 59P when modeling with distortion? I'm not talking about melt-your-face distortion, but classic rock/fusion type distortion.  

3) Is there an actual issue with the string balancing? 

4) Is the build of the 59P's good? I know it's overseas, but does it stay in tune and not fret out when bending? My 600 had some dead spots on it, another reason I sold it. 

5) When you switch models does the sound cut-out? I don't think the Variax 600 did that, but my VG Strat (first model) does it.

6) Are the Tyler made P-90 pups good? 

I don't plan on getting "the dream rig" or anything. I plan on just playing the guitar through my studio rig, mainly for messing around, playing some covers, and trying out some new tunings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have a 59P but I do have a 59 and I have read many threads on this forum so hopefully I can offer some information regarding your questions.

1) Apparently the palm muting is much improved but I think some people may still say it's not good enough - you won't know yourself until you try and see if it meets your requirements. 

2) All Variaxes and JTVs suffer weird overtones and digital artefact issues - it's the nature of the beast.  They can be addressed by ensuring you have your guitar setup correctly and by playing style, however, that may or may not address all issues because that is down to your individual playing style and what you are expecting from the JTV, and also down to the physical characteristics of the actual JTV59P you end up with - so you may find none of the issues bother you or you may find that to your ear they stand out so much you can't live with them - again you won't know until you try for yourself.

3) String volumes can be adjusted at a global and an individual model level with Workbench HD and firmware v2.1.  Some people (me included) have reported that 2.0 and 2.1 out of the box has incorrect string volume balance in as much as the high E and B are too quiet in comparison to the low E and A, particularly on the TMOD and SPANK models but also on others, and that you have to manually adjust each model to correct that imbalance.  Others have reported that there are no issues with the string volume balance.  It appears that it may be a software glitch that can hit when upgrading from v1.9 to v2.0 or v2.1 - however - the problem has not yet been identified or fixed - and the work around is to manually adjust in Workbench HD or to stay on v1.9.   Again, until you get your JTV59P you won't know whether you will hit this problem - you may find that you are lucky and everything works as it should.   But even so - it's not a deal breaker because you can adjust them yourself or roll back to v1.9 and the problem is solved.  But chances are you won't have an issue.

4) The build of my JTV59 is excellent and I understand that the JTV59Ps are just as good.  The frets are jumbo, so they are tall, which means if you press too hard then it will go out of tune, but as long as you just fret hard enough to sound the string without buzzing then its not an issue. It does not fret out and I did not have any dead spots on mine.  Again you could be unlucky and get a bad one but a professional good set up should take care of any issues that are likely to arise.  I have seen a thread where people have complained of a piezo problem with the 59P but I don't believe it is widespread - so again unlikely you will hit it, but if you do, then it can be fixed under warranty OR you can ask for the guitar to be replaced if you are buying it new. Overall, the quality is very good and you should not have a problem.

5) If you switch models the sound will momentarily cut out because it's loading in a new model into the processor - it is very brief and is barely noticeable. And if you did not notice it with your v600 I don't think you will notice it with a JTV - again you need to try it yourself to see if it is acceptable to you and what you intend to use the guitar for.

6) Reports are that they are good but I have not tried them myself.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

edstar and Charlie Watt have pretty much nailed it on the head.  I have 4 Variax's The Original Red VAX 700, the VAC 700 and a JTV59 and JTV89F.  Though there are some forum user's that prefer the VAX 700 to the JTV's (Search the threads) in my opinion the JTV is a better build and took advantage of lessons learned with the prior variax's designed.

As to Palm muting you now have the option of using the magnetic pickups if you still do not like the results via the modeling.

I've had a 59P Goldtop for a little over 6 months now. I really like it.

I use mostly clean tones and when I use overdrive, it is just at the point of a nice break up. Good crunch and fine for the palm muting that I do.

The action on the guitar was a lot lower than I was used to but I've grown accustomed to it.

The P90's sound great. I mainly use the modeled tones (or a slight blend with the P90's mixed in about 15%), but they stand up on their own.

I've done some tweaking of the levels of some of the models so they are similar when I switch from say a Tele sound to a Les Paul.

The only negative I have so far is learning to play the acoustic models so they perform the best. There is an occasional overtone that has a bright sitar type twang to it. I've got the HD500/DT25 Combo as well, and getting the acoustic tone to sound good through the DT25 has taken some time.

Howdy!

I'm thinking of purchasing a JTV-59P because I can get one on sale and I don't have a guitar that has P-90's in them, plus the scale length is like that of a Les Paul, or so I've read. And I'm starting to really dig the smaller scale length now that I'm getting old.  And I've read they put .10's on the guitar which I'm using now. 

I used to have a Line 6 Variax 600, but I sold it because it had one problem that just nagged on me: the weird palm muting sound, especially when distorted. Plus it had some weird overtones at times and I didn't care for the tremelo. 

The main reason I want to get one is because of the ability to store custom tunings and a few of the models. I have a few guitars, but I don't really care for tuning one in open E, one in G, and so forth. I do use a few guitars for E-flat tuning, I tried that with the Variax 600 and couldn't get past the weird sound. I know about the 3 position switch versus the 5 position switch, and that doesn't really bother me much. I'm more interested in the Lester, Special, RBilly, Semi, and Jazz-box sounds (maybe the D-28 and the 12 string too). 

I am hoping you guys can answer some questions for me. 

1) Is the palm muting on the HD models more realistic? 

2) Any weird overtone issues or palm muting with the 59P when modeling with distortion? I'm not talking about melt-your-face distortion, but classic rock/fusion type distortion.  

3) Is there an actual issue with the string balancing? 

4) Is the build of the 59P's good? I know it's overseas, but does it stay in tune and not fret out when bending? My 600 had some dead spots on it, another reason I sold it. 

5) When you switch models does the sound cut-out? I don't think the Variax 600 did that, but my VG Strat (first model) does it.

6) Are the Tyler made P-90 pups good? 

I don't plan on getting "the dream rig" or anything. I plan on just playing the guitar through my studio rig, mainly for messing around, playing some covers, and trying out some new tunings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

I have a JTV-59p ... for a lot of the reasons you want one and it is a great physical instrument ... BUT I do have and issue with Palm Muting.

Please see the thread as others have the same issue....

http://line6.com/support/topic/6764-do-you-have-the-same-problem-with-6th-string/

please listen to the audio clips..... i would advise you try the guitar in person to make sure it is not one that sound like mine, which is currently with Line6 for the second time trying to get to the bottom of the plink-plonk sound.

I used to have a 700 and it did not sound like the JTV-59p with palm muting ... so I hope that Line 6 can fix it,

as far as the P90's go ... I really like them.... I thought I would swap them out for "Better" ones .... BUT I really like them.

I appreciate the great comments. Some of the demos online I have heard of Palm muting do not sound like the clips, so I wonder if the muting I heard was on the normal pups. Unfortunately none of the music stores here have the jtv to try. I can always send it back but maybe this why the place I was going to buy it from has it at a discount. I thought it was due to the p90s.

One thing that interests me is the one poster that said he blends the regular pups with the modeled sound... Can u do that?

Anyone did any Nashville tuning modeling? Does it sound like it should?

If you cannot try it in person, i would make sure you can send it back.... some of us have the same issue with the the low E and plink plonk sound...made worse when palm muting.... others seem to be fine... luck of the draw I guess. Although most of the posters with the problem seem to be 89f owners.... anyway i hope Line 6 can fix it.

Yes, you can blend the magnetic pickups .. you need to do this in Work Bench on the computer, you can not do it without the editor ...but you can save the setting on to the guitar.

Yep tried Nashville tuning, its pretty good.... like the 12 sting and alternate tunings then sound much better in a Mix ..they can sound a bit odd if played Solo ... not bad... just not 100% convincing, but in a Mix or a band setting, or jamming along to backing tracks they sound good.

My dad's got the JTV-89 and I've got a JTV-69 coming tomorrow so I can only answer some of your questions!

1) I can tell you that the palm muting is vastly improved compared to the original Variax (I had a 500 for about a week before I sent it back!). I'd say that if you want real "bite" you're still going to be better off with the mag pickups, but the Strat and Tele models do sound great when played rhythm style, especially in the neck position.

2) As has already been mentioned, there will always be the odd glitch as it is digitally modelled but for the most part, nothing that's going to spoil your playing experience, and in a mix you'd be hard pushed to notice. Some models are better than others, and if you really want to get deep into this thing you can download Workbench HD and move the pickups around until you find the sweet spot for good palm mutes (closer to the bridge and angled slightly seems to make a difference).  

3) Only played my dad's JTV, and only for short periods of time. Haven't noticed any problems though. Will report back when I've got mine.

4) Can't comment on the 59P but the 89 is a very solid guitar. Without the modelling it's just a nice guitar to play. I expect the same would be true across the range. 

5) Yes but the gap has gotten significantly shorter since the last update.

6) Can't comment, but the stocks in the 89 are pretty damn meaty.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to get mine! With the HD Pro it's just an experience beyond compare. So inspiring. 

• Upvote 1