Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Guitar And Variax Inputs (hd500), With 2 Guitars

Just wondering if anybody has experience with running a Variax (via VDI), while keeping another guitar plugged into the guitar input. I plan on doing this on an upcoming cruise ship gig, where I'll want to switch quickly between both a regular guitar, and my JTV59. Would setting the inputs at "guitar + variax" cause any kind of tonal issues? (I assume I could just turn UP the instrument being used at the moment, while the one not being played was turned DOWN). I know I could set the inputs for the specific guitar being played, but I'd prefer to have the flexibility to use either one with any patch (with the exception of my acoustic variax patches, of course).

One thing I've been doing is running my electric Variax sounds panned all the way left, and my acoustic sounds all the way right. Then I run the Left 1/4" output to my amp's fx return. I run the Right XLR out to the mixer for acoustic sounds (even if I'm using 2 amp models-I'll have the mixer panned left for BOTH channels in that case-seems to work pretty well). So I don't think the option of setting Input 1 to one guitar, Input 2 to the other would work.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with this kind of setup.

I use my Variax in the DVI-Input and my bass guitar in the guitar input. But I assign the inputs in each patch., one for bass another for the guitar. But the acoustic guitar I used channel a with the piezo, channel b with microphone. This works quite right. So I see no problem using both guitar in one patch. The only thing: you will have to mute your guitar volume, otherwise you can get problems by feedback of the unused guitar ;)

• Upvote 1

Like moondancer I have used both electric and acoustic guitar in the Guitar input along with a Variax in the VDI . For the electric guitar any feedback issues can be avoided by turning the guitars' Vol up/down as required. It's a little trickier for an acoustic that has no onboard Vol/preamp - it's best to handle that with the HD500 preset Input assignment. For presets that don't use the acoustic, remove Guitar from the Input assignment and make it just Variax.

Ditto. I did this with my JTV59 in the VDI and spare regular electric guitar in the Guitar input, plus my acoustic/electric in the Aux In. I had the Input 1 set to Variax + Guitar, or Variax + Guitar + Aux, and rolled the volume off in the guitar not in use, and the tuner worked for all. I set the Input 2 parameter to Same, or Mic. Remember this setting is a logical setting for the tone path, not necessarily the physical inputs. I would set the physical input on a per patch basis to not have the acoustic/electric Aux In active except for patches specifically set up for it, so it wouldn't howl with sympathetic vibrations when not in use. Very flexible for different uses....

Now I use 2 JTV's (59 & 69S), and switch between them at the break between sets by switching the VDI cable between them. It was handy, though to just hang one on the guitar without switching the cable from one to the other. The 2 JTV's modeled patches are identical, but I do switch set lists made up specifically for the different levels and tonalities of the mags of the 59 & 69S.

Dave