Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Farm 2.57 does not install on OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hello,

I am currently running the Developer Preview 1 of OS X 10.10 Yosemite on one of my machines and POD Farm 2.57 flatly refuses to install on it.

I managed to install it anyway using Pacifist, but I thought I'd report the bug (yes, I know, pre-release software etc.). :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yosemite's official release date isn't until Fall 2014... I guess I can't see Line 6 releasing anything for an OS that's not out of beta stage.

Actually while this is true, the public beta (meaning everyone will have this that can) will be release in just a couple of days. I would think that Line 6 would rather quickly add support for the OS than to have an influx of calls and tickets. The product runs fine on 10.10 but the installers and updaters are doing a system version check that is seemingly unnecessary for the 10.10 beta 4 that is currently out.

• 2 weeks later...

why couldn't it be a matter of apple identifying it's software with 2 digits beyond the decimal point...

the apple OS is in beta... why cant they fix their sh*t... why you got to put it all on software that totally works and has not been altered in the least....

i'm sure sooner or later it would be fixed... but apple is running an open beta... so why not get them to address it....

probably fix 100's of other software packages as well....

I agree with: 

skarasu

This isn't a matter of needing an entirely new driver. POD just understands 10.10 as 10.1 (because it's true...) This is an extremely simple fix for Line6 to handle... Please bump!

• Upvote 1

Hopefully this issue can be resolved - regardless of whom which fixes it - and in the most timely manner as possible.  Naturally, everything I've been writing and recording has been done on my Mac, as well as where all of my samples are, and have had to suffice with creating tones on Windows, for now.

For anyone considering the upgrade to 10.10, do not do it, unless you have a backup ready, and you're aware of the risk you run - this being an example. It was my own fault for upgrading and not considering 10.10 = 10.1 (especially since I write code), and that software may not run because of it.  I've learned my lesson, that's for sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Friends at Line6,

I hope you realise that Apple seeded the Yosemite Golden Master early this week. Which means the release is not “soonâ€, it's imminent – within a week or two.

I know you must be busy with more interesting and pressing work, but seriously. Fixing the one line of JavaScript in your package's distribution file's volume check function is not that hard.

Why isn't it using the native system.compareVersions in the first place instead of faultily comparing strings like that (result = my.target.systemVersion.ProductVersion >= '10.5.0')?

Love, a dedicated Mac user of yours.

For anybody who is wondering how to install any Line6 software until Line6 fixes this sadly super-trivial bug, here's what you can do:

1) Download all the Line6 software DMGs you need and keep them handy. 

2) Download “Pacifist†(shareware) as zip from its homepage: https://www.charlessoft.com

3) Install Pacifist (though you don't even need to install Pacifist to /Applications as it works from any folder, including your Downloads folder).

4) Open Pacifist and click through the shareware information dialogs.

5) Once you have reached the main menu of Pacifist, click the first entry (Open Package).

6) Select the .DMG of the Line6 software you want to install that you downloaded previously.

7) Disclose the first level and select the .pkg you want to install, such as “Contents of POD Farm 2.pkg". Rather do this with the highest-level .pkg item you find rather than lower-level ones.

8) Right-click and select “Install to Default Locationâ€.

Done.

• Upvote 2

why couldn't it be a matter of apple identifying it's software with 2 digits beyond the decimal point...

the apple OS is in beta... why cant they fix their sh*t... why you got to put it all on software that totally works and has not been altered in the least....

i'm sure sooner or later it would be fixed... but apple is running an open beta... so why not get them to address it....

probably fix 100's of other software packages as well....

To make this absolutely clear, this is a bug on Line6's part caused by how they check for the version number:

function volumeCheck() 
{
		var result = false;
		try {
				result = my.target.systemVersion.ProductVersion >= '10.5.0';
		} catch (e) {}

if(!result) {
				my.result.type = 'Fatal';
				my.result.title = 'System requirements not met.';
				my.result.message = 'This software requires Mac OS X 10.5 or above';
		}
		return result;
}

To compare versions, you shouldn't use a comparison operator with a string as they do but use the System method compareVersions, which returns “-1 when versionA is lower than versionB, 0 when versionA is equal to versionB, and 1 when versionA is higher than versionBâ€.

I am not a Mac or JavaScript developer, just a designer, but it should probably be something along

if(system.compareVersions(my.target.systemVersion.ProductVersion, '10.5') >= 0) {

result = true;
}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys go to /System/Library/CoreServices 

Copy SystemVersion.plist to desktop.

Open and edit:

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>

<string>10.10</string>

<key>ProductVersion</key>

<string>10.10</string>

to 10.9

Save and put the file back to /CoreServices.

Install Pod and when its done edit again to defaults value. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Guys go to /System/Library/CoreServices 

Copy SystemVersion.plist to desktop.

Open and edit:

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>

<string>10.10</string>

<key>ProductVersion</key>

<string>10.10</string>

to 10.9

Save and put the file back to /CoreServices.

Install Pod and when its done edit again to defaults value. 

This works thanks. The thinks is you will have to save a copy system version.plist with the version( Example 10.10.4) when you restart the computer all the programs do not work. you have to use the copy and put it back on the /system/library/coreservices  then open pod farm. don't forget to authorize then replace.