Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buying A Used Pod Hd

xpanmanx

Greetings, with regards to the registration/updating/licensing process, are there any caveats about buying an open-box or used Pod HD?

For example, if I buy a used Pod HD on Craig's List, what things if any could prevent me from installing updates or a possible expansion pack?

Is the 12-month warranty transferable, assuming I obtain a copy of the original purchase receipt?

Thank you.

i would not buy from craigs list simply because recently, a forum member got one and is having trouble registering. http://line6.com/support/topic/733-cannot-register-pod-hd500-extremely-angry-i-am-screwed/. that's not to say that the one you get would have the same problem. in addition, if the seller has already registered it, you must ensure he deletes his registration or you'll run into trouble. don't buy it without trying it. still that doesn't cover everything if your not familiar with the operation. how much are you saving? why is the person selling after having it such a short time? if he tells you he doesn't like it or it's not giving him what he wants, than he doesn't know how to use it or he didn't use it enough. it might not be the best, top of the line modeler, but it is very good. with some knowledge and some experimenting, you will get excellent results.

warranty info http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4838

• Upvote 1

there are no licenses available for the hd500 at this time, so there is no risk there.... and downloads are freely available as well...

I buy/sell/trade on craigslist all the time... for the most part fairly successfully.... 

if the deals right i'd have no problem with used, from craigslist or elsewhere.

the original receipt is pretty much the warranty... you have that in your hand and you can get warranty service for the remainder of the warranty.

• Upvote 1

I agree best to be able to buy where you can try it out. Somehow get familiar with it as a quick test might not reveal any bug.

The problem with ebay for eg is a dud can be sold to you on used items. Not always but it has happened to me about 70% of the used stuff I have bought from ebay. Some was abled to be returned for full refund but the amount of unscrupulous sellers off loading rubbish and claiming it was fine when they posted is a unfortunate fact. 

I have bought new with 90% success and the one that wasn't I got a refund from paypal for the non delivery.

Don't wish to scare you off but it is possible to get a fully operational unit used

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the situation is in the us, but in the uk used hd500 prices (often over £300) are not much less than new (£400) . Since at  least one major gear  shop gives a free 4 year warranty i would buy new. Too many hd500s need repairing at some time - usb is a particular problem, also switches, the extra money for 4 years peace of mind is well worth it. Shame line 6 don't build like boss.