Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

´´Rare - even Line 6 don't list it on their site. Saw a preview in Guitar mag and hassled Line 6 for one. Meant for artists only - lets me out I guess - but Simon at Line 6 came through for me and I got it. Same sounds as the 700, but way better construction and feel´

Rusty Cooper2 years agoin reply to PaisleyPatchouli

''Nope thats the Variax 900. Same electronics as the 700. Only 24 were made and they are magnificent instruments, so well made. Line 6 felt that the market wasn't ready for such an expensive model.´

Line 6 Variax 900 Acoustic Super, UBER! RARE Artist only! Made in Japan!

''I got the guitar from someone in LA who was in a cover band and used it.  There is a fable behind the guitar, which I never thought to be true but the pieces almost add up. It was said to be one of James Taylor's guitars made for him.  BUT again this is not documented nor am I claiming this to be true!!!  It only comes word of mouth from the previous owners.''

There is between a 1 in 50 and one in 25 chance of this being the Variax 900 previously owned and played by James Taylor, whether it is or not the story inspired me to learn the Classic Fire and Rain from 1970, Great Song and a great guitar.

This guitar is truly awesome I had been looking for a 700 for a while and couldn't believe it when this cropped up on E Bay, its a peach  just superb!
  • Upvote 1

I am surprised that a guitar like the Acoustic 700 isn't in enough demand for Line6 to make one.  I really like my 700. 

I am also suprised, the guitar was ahead of its time by a decade or more, works beautifully , Guitarists are still struggling with the DIgital age and have not embraced Rolands VG99 for instance. I have a VG88 and its precursor the VG8 was 30 years ahead of its time. There is much more Digital music gear these days with the i Pad generation and maybe Yamaha will allow Line 6 sufficient funding to get back into this market. The Guitar MArket is very overcrowded and dominated by Gibson and Febder. Of course Gibson have the Firebird x but one does not expect Gibson to do any favours to other brands and they have gone off half cocked with previous digital offerings like the Dark Fire and early Robot guitars.

Perhaps Line 6 could do a join acoustic with one of the boutique makers or maybe Yamaha themselves I am still looking for a late 80's LL2, fine guitars Yamaha make.

Then there are the Basses another marvel !

If you watch the acoustic 700s on eBay, it is amazing to me that they are not still produced.  Every one of them gets bid up quickly unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

As for rare Line 6 guitars, I guess I have one myself.  I have serial number 2 of the Korean production '69 (it is black).  Last I heard, #1 (red) was kept at Line 6.

I am also suprised, the guitar was ahead of its time by a decade or more, works beautifully , Guitarists are still struggling with the DIgital age and have not embraced Rolands VG99 for instance. I have a VG88 and its precursor the VG8 was 30 years ahead of its time. There is much more Digital music gear these days with the i Pad generation and maybe Yamaha will allow Line 6 sufficient funding to get back into this market. The Guitar MArket is very overcrowded and dominated by Gibson and Febder. Of course Gibson have the Firebird x but one does not expect Gibson to do any favours to other brands and they have gone off half cocked with previous digital offerings like the Dark Fire and early Robot guitars.

Perhaps Line 6 could do a join acoustic with one of the boutique makers or maybe Yamaha themselves I am still looking for a late 80's LL2, fine guitars Yamaha make.

Then there are the Basses another marvel !

Firebird X is pretty terrible. The only decent Variax-esque guitars is the Roland Strat and the Auto Tune guitar, but I still personally like the Variax the most.

The Fire Bird x is over priced but essentially a good guitar I played one and made a video at the Copenhagen Guitar Show two years ago.

Gibson make a lot of Over Hyped marketing claims for it ( Pure Analog tone) what does that mean it uses COnvolution in tis processor as any guitar using this sort of technology does. Julius O Smith was at the forefront of developing FFT algorithms , I think he is an honory member of the line 6 Board, I have developed my own impulse responses and Impulse resonse Pedal ( Tonefreqz) the zoom A3 and Fishman Aura all make use of the same technology the Plugin Bodilizer also uses it and can be used as a plug in on Computers as can the Tone Freqz and Acme Bargig  TRIBE plugin.

http://tonefreqhz.bandcamp.com/

The Variax acoustics are great and a modern version with modern processors would be better, mostr people do not know how they work and that also applies to the Firebird x, its easier to just dismiss them than find out I guess.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an ancient thread... but what do folks think a V900 in Natural is worth...?

I have one that is sitting unused - with its original case, etc. I think I'd let it go if the price was reasonable.

I know this is an ancient thread... but what do folks think a V900 in Natural is worth...?

I have one that is sitting unused - with its original case, etc. I think I'd let it go if the price was reasonable.

http://bazaarbay.org/c8a2fdb4f489616a29d9add8b13f05ff1202892c/listing/804c0536dd0e037cd6831d61aed21c4b7dcd90f410.25 bitcoin for this one.

Yowza! I've just done the Bit Coin (wtf?) conversion to GB pounds... thats a lot of money.

I think if I got half that I'd be happy. :-)

Bitcoin has gone up alot in the last month it was around 300 dollars to 1 bitcoin when that listing was made. That said I do think that the line 6 900's are worth way more than a couple of thousand us. These things are pretty rare you can in my opinion expect top dollar, what that is and will become is anyones guess.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

On Bazaar Bay again Variax 900 Demo ( Very Rare Variax Acoustic Artists model.) https://youtu.be/BGspkNoP_fg  https://bazaarbay.org/QmPBhLq5kYechVvavbKJpW1Yo9eKHzeUJHmcaLP8ta4pdf/store/line-6-900-artists-edition  … Web 3 distributed Sales Variax 900 Acoustic #Ether #Bitcoin #BlockchainCommerceuse that crypto Art and other musical gear listings to follow

3 hours ago, soundog said:

The Star Spangled Banner and James Taylor were not a good mashup.

Jimi got it right.

Hi Sound Dog,
You have got that right, there was a lot of criticism of James's mash-up , mangling of SSB at the time.

This is more his bag.

Love to see James sing/play Mexico.  

Learning guitar JT was always a fascination with his “unusual” chord fingerings.  His open D and A form different from what most books and folks teach.  If you wanted to “perfectly mimic” JT’s guitar playing you kinda need to adopt his fingerings.  Good lesson about “more than one way of doing things” when it comes to guitar playing.  

Gotta love Variax acoustics.  Definitely brings a mic sound sans feedback to live gigs.