Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting up JTV

The saddle height will depend on where you have set the trem plate.  The JTV69 comes from the factory set up with the plate floating allowing you to pull back on the trem (raise notes) as well as dive bomb.  The saddles with the factory set up are not raised much at all - just enough to follow the radius of the guitar necks and frets to avoid buzzing.

If you don't want to use the trem or never want to pull back on it to raise notes - then you can lower the trem plat so it is flush with the guitar body - but then you will have to raise the saddles a fair bit to give your strings sufficient height over the frets so they don't buzz.

Your saddle height and action will depend on how you want your trem set up.   

If you lock the trem out with something like a tremo-no - then you can treat it like a hard tail and you will be able to achieve lower action - but if you want to use the trem then you will have to compromise and allow a little bit of extra height to allow for string movement when you engage the trem.

The saddle height will depend on where you have set the trem plate.  The JTV69 comes from the factory set up with the plate floating allowing you to pull back on the trem (raise notes) as well as dive bomb.  The saddles with the factory set up are not raised much at all - just enough to follow the radius of the guitar necks and frets to avoid buzzing.

If you don't want to use the trem or never want to pull back on it to raise notes - then you can lower the trem plat so it is flush with the guitar body - but then you will have to raise the saddles a fair bit to give your strings sufficient height over the frets so they don't buzz.

Your saddle height and action will depend on how you want your trem set up.   

If you lock the trem out with something like a tremo-no - then you can treat it like a hard tail and you will be able to achieve lower action - but if you want to use the trem then you will have to compromise and allow a little bit of extra height to allow for string movement when you engage the trem.

Ahh fantastic - yeah I didn't know quite how to set up the bridge on this as I couldn't find mention of it in the manual or PDF's. So I can just adjust the trem posts and have the bridge flush? Might do that as I don't really plan on using the trem at all. Damn things are more trouble than they're worth ;)

As a side note, I'm absolutely loving this guitar. It's making me play in ways I never have before and the palm muting on it is soooo much better. I feel like my HD Pro "makes sense" now. It's almost a dream rig!

Almost...

• 6 months later...

I have now set my bridge piece height to 1/8" gap at the rear from body to underside, by adjusting the two screws at the front of the bridge.

I have my action set at 5/64 at the 17th fret on both sides with no buzzing at this point. (I don't count myself as a shredder, and I play more rhythm than lead anyway, but this is still low enough to do comfortable leads with, in my view)