Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Modeling on my JTV 59 and 69 sounds different

I've had the 69 for about a few months now and I purchased the 59 which was delivered yesterday. Both of them are on v1.90. When playing through the same preset on the POD HD500, the modeling on the 2 guitars sounds different...very different. Is that expected? I thought the modeling's supposed to sound pretty much the same. And I am, of course, using the same guitar model (Lester setting 1). Also, on the 59 the pick attack is very loud and is very prominent on the recordings.

I can post sound samples but wanted to see if folks who own 1 of each have had have similar experiences.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Weird. I thought they were supposed to be calibrated between guitars. They really should do that, the inconsistencies kind of defeats the purpose of the Variax.

They should put a modeling offset before the actual modeling begins.

It's probably because of the scale length body and material.

they do all have separate firmwares, so it can easily be assumed that the differences are taken into account on some level.

can't say i know what the difference is in this case, but i can agree that there shouldn't be a difference.

• Upvote 1

Here are the samples. The first 2 samples are just strumming an open D chord to demonstrate. On the JTV59 (the first sample) you will hear some extra plucking noise.69 sounds smoother. 

The last 2 are samples for Semi model. This is more subtle but the 69 sounds a little more full as a semi should, I think or maybe it's just my ears here. Again the first sample is the 59. The thing is I can hear the differences more when I strum than when I am just picking.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6769156/JTV59.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6769156/JTV69.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6769156/JTV59_Semi.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6769156/JTV69_Semi.mp3

I don't hear any real differences in those clips (other than your 59 was out of tune... ;)  It happens...). I'm not hearing the plucking sound you're referring to. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but sometimes these nuances are more noticeable if you're the one playing.

See that's another thing. The 59 is completely in tune (using the same tuner for 59 and 69) but still sounds out of tune. Maybe i am going crazy. I should probably get some sleep and try again the morning.

Maybe the intonation is slightly out on the 59 - it may need some slight tweaking to get it spot on if it's a new guitar - it probably also needs to settle down to conditions in your house which may be very different from where it has come from - so the wood will take a few days to acclimatise and the neck may move a little - so you probably need to double check your set up, including neck relief, once you have had it for a week or two, and adjust as necessary.

Tonewise they sound the same to me.  Out of tune on a D chord is not uncommon and usually results from the action at the nut being set too high.  That causes you to stretch the strings more when you fret near the neck making the notes sharp.  I use Earvana nuts for this reason.  They compensate those notes a bit and make it play more in tune near the nut.

My 2 cents -I also own both a JTV59 and JTV69.

In my case with Variax Modeling engaged, irregardless of FW1.9 or or FW2.1   my 69 is 15% louder than my 59, which bums me out.