Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Dream Rig user

I've had an HD500X for about 6 months now that I've been extremely happy with and until recently have been running a PRS Custom24 into the HD500X and into the clean channel of a 100-watt Peavey ValveKing head and then to a Soldano 4x12. The sound was quite good but I was curious about trying an FRFR rig and the Stagesource L2t looked to be just the ticket. I've had it about 2 weeks now and have used it at 2 rehearsals and a club show and have been mostly happy but I know that with some tweaking it will get better.

To my ears, my patches sounded best with the HD500X output set for combo amp-in with the L2T in Electric Guitar mode. I'm connecting the units using an L6 Link cable. My question is, is there a way that works better? I play electric guitar exclusively in an originals band in the vein of Tool, Jane's Addiction and Alice in Chains so I'm playing relatively high-gain (have been using a dual signal chain using the Soldano SLO-100 model and the Treadplate) 90% of the time, although there are a couple of songs that require Fender or JC-120-like cleans and a couple of mid-gain, AC-30-type tones. I'm intending to use this to replace the halfstack/pedalboard that I've been lugging around for decades and letting clubs either mic the L2t or use it's direct-out. At our single show I was most impressed by the consistency of the sound and especially the sound dispersion. It didn't seem to matter where I put it, which way I faced it or where I went onstage, it sounded the same and everybody in the band said they heard me perfectly and I didn't need to overpower anybody to do it. My clean sound was better than it's ever been and my dirty sound was good but not quite as good as it was running into the Peavey. I didn't have much of a chance to tweak my patches beforehand though, so I figure a few more hours put in trying new things will get me where I want to be.

I'm fairly comfortable tweaking the HD500X and I know the only way to get things sounding their best is to experiment but if anyone has used this type of setup for similar purposes I'd sure appreciate any advice you could offer, including the best ways to connect the units and what output settings/speaker modes work best, as well as any patches you've created to work with an HD500X -- L2t setup. I'd be happy to share mine as well.

My question is, is there a way that works better? 

The answer is try 'em all! Combo, Studio/Direct, Stack. Trust and use your ears. There are no rules in music, ask Zappa, or Funkadelic about that!

FYI, you don't have a "Dream Rig". You need to add a Variax for that.

• Upvote 1

FRFR rig and the Stagesource L2t looked to be just the ticket. I've had it about 2 weeks now and have used it at 2 rehearsals and a club show and have been mostly happy but I know that with some tweaking it will get better.

To my ears, my patches sounded best with the HD500X output set for combo amp-in with the L2T in Electric Guitar mode. I'm connecting the units using an L6 Link cable.

That's an interesting point, gives me some ideas. I've used an HD500 with a DT25 and an L2t; though I haven't tried using the L2t in that electric guitar mode, or with the combo amp setting. I have typically used the L2t in studio/direct mode.

It does raise a question: does the L2t direct out - when the HD500(x) is in combo/poweramp mode- create any mic emulation, similar to the manner in which the DT25 does?

I can imagine the manner in which you are running it does create a situation where mic'ing the L2t would sound good, the combo/poweramp mode removes the mic and room modeling from the signal path, and just emulates the preamp, poweramp, and speaker.

Next question, since the DT25/50 patches are supposed to use the "pre" versions of the amp models, rather than the "full" amp models, which is best for use with the L2t when rigged as the OP describes? I would imagine the full models, since there isn't an actual tube amp as is the case with the DT25.

I've often wondered the best way to use both the DT25 and L2t when using the L6Link, I suppose some compromise would need to occur, since the outputs modes are global and can't be assigned per device with the L6Link settings.

One specific way you could alter your rig, would be set the L2t as a floor monitor in front of you, and run the HD500 in studio/direct mode, and take the XLR outputs from the HD500x to the FOH mix. In that scenario however, you definitely would not want them to mic your L2t, since the HD500x is now providing the mic emulation.

I will have to try that electric guitar mode, I've not explored the L2t much beyond it's use as a speaker and monitor, vs as a guitar amp!

Cheers~

I asked a similar question about speaker modes in the L series for use with an HD500 in a previous thread. Predictably (and correctly) I was advised that there is no 'right' way to set up, it's whatever sounds best to you. That said, when in 'electric guitar' mode you should in theory use the PRE models as the speaker is emulating the cab. Conversely when in 'PA' mode use the full version of the amp models which include cab models as the speaker has no cab emulation.

Having said all of that my set up has a complete mixture! I use L6 link to the POD so can switch speaker modes per patch. I run some patches with full amp models in 'electric guitar' mode and some PRE models in 'PA' mode.

It goes back to the original advice I suppose.....there's no 'right' way to do it. 

Thanks for the input, all. I'll continue experimenting and let ya'll know what ends up working best. I'm a long-time tube enthusiast and never would have imagined I'd be using a setup like this a few years ago but I'm really impressed so far and my back is appreciating it more and more. Plus, it was really enjoyable setting up for my last show in about 3 minutes, gave me ample opportunity to taunt my band's other guitarist-- "geez man, aren't you ready to go yet? You're taking forever!". Good times.

I use L6 link to the POD so can switch speaker modes per patch. I run some patches with full amp models in 'electric guitar' mode and some PRE models in 'PA' mode.

I just read about that in a different thread earlier today - I didn't know that could be done! Very cool.. Can that setting be edited using the HD500 editor or does it need to have the L6Link in place between the HD500 and the L2 speaker?

Great idea really; The JTV acoustic tones don't always play well with the DT25 rig

I'm really impressed so far and my back is appreciating it more and more. Plus, it was really enjoyable setting up for my last show in about 3 minutes

Yeah +1 to the "save your back agony"!! I've got the DT25, and as the lightest of the DT series, it's *still* a rather heavy piece of equipment.

Reading about saving the speaker mode on a per-patch basis has got me inspired to rig up my HD500 with my L2t's, see what happens.

Nice! It definitely takes some tweaking and experimenting but once you're in the ballpark with the sounds you want, the consistency at any volume and the wide sound dispersion make for a really effective, lightweight setup. Happy rocking!

"It does raise a question: does the L2t direct out - when the HD500(x) is in combo/poweramp mode- create any mic emulation, similar to the manner in which the DT25 does?"

If I read the documentation at Sweetwater correctly, the answer seems to be "no". According to the literature, the speaker can reconfigure itself 6 ways that change the way it puts out frequencies and the frequencies it puts out. One for "flat/reference", one for prerecorded music and DJ's, one for keyboards, one for acoustic guitar, one for vocals and one for electric guitar.

I just read about that in a different thread earlier today - I didn't know that could be done! Very cool.. Can that setting be edited using the HD500 editor or does it need to have the L6Link in place between the HD500 and the L2 speaker?

Great idea really; The JTV acoustic tones don't always play well with the DT25 rig

You can't save the speaker modes per patch using the HD500 editor. You have to bring up your patch on the POD, manually switch the speaker mode on the speaker then hit save on the POD. If you try to save it on HD500 editor the setting isn't saved for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

I've yet to find a decent amp setting on the DT25 that gives a very good acoustic sound. 

Anyone have any JTVacoustic>DT tones they'd be willing to share??