Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 For Just Amp Modeling... No Preamp Function (gain) Etc.

Robzebr

Hi,

I want to use the HD500 just for amp modeling as I have several separate pedals for other functions...

I want to use the HD500 in the effects loop and bypass my amps preamp... (Blackstar HT-5)

I'm looking at separate tube preamp type pedals... AMT SS-11 etc to act as the preamp....

If I have the HD500s gain functions turned off or down... and I'm only using the 500 as an amp modeler... to get the base amp tone and the rest I will do with pedals... eq, compression etc....

...  My question is... Do you think the HD500 should go after or before the preamp pedal?

In other words ... Do I want to create the base amp tone .. then run it through the preamp pedal for the gain... ??

Or ... do I want to go thru the preamp pedal ... establish the gain .. and then create the amp base tone by going through the HD500 acting as a modeler only?

I'm not going through the front of the amp... not using the 4 ch method.. its just...

guitar... pedal preamp (for gain and EQ) ... HD500 for amp model....   effects loop return

OR...  guitar... HD500 (to establish amp model) then to the pedal preamp for gain and EQ... to effects loop return... ???

Thanks...

You realise that the HD500 is actually acting as a preamp already while modelling right?  What are you trying to get to here?

I guess you could do

Guitar --> Preamp In

Preamp Out -->  Pod In

Pod Out --> Amp FX Loop Return

In which case the preamp is acting as a gain control and EQ upstream from your amp model. 

Try Guitar, preamp, FX return, Amp block etc output to your amp. Thats one way

My question is down to .... should the creation of the amp model come before or after the device that creates the gain....

In a regular amp its the the preamp circuit that gives the character and the gain to the sound....

In my case its 2 devices ... the HD500 for the amp model ... and the preamp pedal to establish the gain...

The gain on the HD500 is turned down to 0...  I just want the amp model....out of the 500....

You realise that the HD500 is actually acting as a preamp already while modelling right?  What are you trying to get to here?

I guess you could do

Guitar --> Preamp In

Preamp Out -->  Pod In

Pod Out --> Amp FX Loop Return

In which case the preamp is acting as a gain control and EQ upstream from your amp model. 

Right.  So the question is ... should the gain and EQ come first before the amp model.... or connect first to the 500 to create the amp model and then connect to the preamp for the gain and EQ...

I know the 500 is its own preamp... but I have an AMT Tube preamp that I want to use in lieu of the preamp function in the 500.... 

I know the 500 is its own preamp... but I have an AMT Tube preamp that I want to use in lieu of the preamp function in the 500.... 

OK.  Well think about this then.  

The HD500 provides Pre-amp, Power Amp and speaker (i.e. a modelled amp) along with effects that you can put either side of the modelled amp.  The HD500 allows you to take  the power amp out of the chain (i.e. the Pre Amp Models) but will not allow you to take out the preamp and just use the Power Amp alone.  Therefore if you don't want to use the HD500 Pre amp then you must not use a modelled amp (or speaker or mics) at all.  You would therefore be using the HD500 for Effects only.

This actually may not matter too much for you.   You want to use the AMT as your pre-amp and you are using the Blackstar for your power amp and speaker.   This gives you all you need to get a decent tone from the setup.   You can use this in an effects only setup and it should work pretty well.  

In either case:  I would cable the AMT Pre-amp into the FX loop on the HD500.  Why?  Well with the Pre-amp there you can:

• Create presets that either use a modelled amp or the AMT depending on which you want, on a preset by preset basis.
  • Allow you to put effects either side of the pre-amp

Just be aware that there is a level drop when you use the HD500 Effects loop.  Some people use a boost before the loop (e.g. Studio EQ with boosted gain) to get the gain levels back up to normal.