Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

first blue lights and know it buzzes...

My M20d it's deteriorating very fast  :(

First there was the weird thing of 3 encoders lighting blue with nothing assigned to them and now it starts to buzz once in a while... 

There was also on time were it stopped outputting sound and the intro screen appeared super imposed over the stage image (like a transparency). I had to turn off and turn back on mid gig to restore.

I gig and rehearse a lot! Sending the mixer to UK will be a MAJOR hassle :angry: 

Oh man.... It's looking very bad :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :(  :(  :(   

• 1 month later...

Thanks

I talked to thomann because I got it from them. Its already on UPS... 

I believe I wont have the mixer back for the 8 of August GIG  :(  :(

Now all I have is an 8 channel old Behringer... I very, very worried about the sound on that gig.

The M20d is in fact a game changer. Now i'm afraid to do sound on a conventional mixer again :wacko:  :wacko:  

This is not the last time it will fail. Get your money back.

well, I've been using it a lot for almost 2 years with no problems. 

Always great sound.

My only complaint will be the time to repair... Thomann said: 

Thank you for the email.

We received the unit back on the  04.08.2014 .It was sent to an authorized workshop for warranty check /repairs, on the next day

The normal repair time is 2-4 weeks( shipping days not included).

Thank you for your understanding.

Now, that's too bloody long. I need the mixer to work, and put food on my table, almost every weekend.

I'm not very happy with Line6 service... It should be faster. It's supposed to be professional gear to professional musicians, so they really should have some way to not leave the musicians short on gear to work when the equipment breaks down under warranty! It's only fair!   

Unfortunately, any equipment, from any manufacturer, can fail. Very inconvenient and frustrating when it does, but having reliable, high grade backups is part of the job. I like the M20D very much, but I am hanging on to my Soundcraft MFXi12 for two reasons: 1) It is great backup if the worst ever happens and b) I can use it as a sub-mixer. Thomann service is very good, and you do have the security of a full 3 warranty there, too. Hopefully, they will get it fixed and back to you ASAP.

I had to use my smartphone's warranty earlier this year. 

They provided me with a replacement while my phone was in repair. I was never without a phone to work, talk or organize my life. 

Oh, and the replacement model was better than my phone! Shame I didn't get to keep it  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D

In professional music gear this should be standard as we need the stuff to do our job.

For me, it is my retailer that looks after me. They never leave me without gear.....

And I guess we now see one of the benefits of buying from a local retailer over buying based on the cheapest price from an online retailer hundreds of miles away. When things go wrong, our contract is with the immediate supplier (the retailer) not with a manufacturer, so the goods have to go back to the retailer from whence they came. I've bought plenty from Thomann, but, to date, I've not bought *anything* from them which has the potential for needing to be returned for service or repair. My Line6 rig came from a retailer about an hour away from me, so if it goes wrong I can go lean on them face to face! Obviously, I understand we don't all have the luxury of a retailer in close proximity so I do understand that buying local isn't necessarily feasible for some.

Actually, in my case it was a bad experience with a local retailer some years ago that led me to Thomann. I had a (very expensive) audio interface fail, and the local store was the very opposite of helpful. That was the last time I shopped there. I've since dealt with Thomann extensively, and had 100% quality service. I have needed to return a couple of things, and in one I was given an immediate, full refund and in the other, they had it repaired inside a week and shipped back to me. I have found them very pleasant and easy to work with. Obviously in the case of certain equipment (very complex, high tech stuff, for example) they may need to send it to the manufacturer's service agent for repair, in which case, how long it takes is down to them. Some manufactures do have a 'zero down time' two or three year warranty (one is a well known mic manufacturer), with 'loaners' available...which I think is a great idea and certainly inspires confidence. It would be nice if this practice was more common.

It's supposed to be professional gear to professional musicians, so they really should have some way to not leave the musicians short on gear to work when the equipment breaks down under warranty! It's only fair!   

Unfortunately the cost of doing that would need to be built into the price.  No one in the industry offers that in this price range.  When you get up to $50k for a desk they overnight you a new one when problems happen.

Let me ask you all this ... would you be willing to accept a refurbished unit that could be sent out the same day as receiving your return as opposed to waiting the week or so it takes for the repairs to your exact unit?  You would still be looking at the shipping time necessary which is what it is.

In my 25+ years experience..I've had equipment fail..several times. Never had an issue getting a loaner from the local retailer where I spend ALL of my money. lol. Don is right on this..would be much more efficient for the dealer to help you out as they would most likely have a "replacement" in stock..rather than waiting for the manufacturer to ship one..

Let me ask you all this ... would you be willing to accept a refurbished unit that could be sent out the same day as receiving your return as opposed to waiting the week or so it takes for the repairs to your exact unit?  You would still be looking at the shipping time necessary which is what it is.

Yes.

• Upvote 1

I'd second the yes to this too.

Common sense dictates that we take a backup of our unit before sending it away for service/repair so whether the unit that arrives back is our actual unit is irrelevant... it's just hardware. If it's a unit that's been refurbished it's possibly a big bonus since it is likely to have been more fully assessed and dealt with than one where just a single issue has been resolved.

In response to reman parts exchange I say yep. When your livelihood is on the line you need confidence in your manufacturer to keep you working after committing to their product.

In my business the process works where secondhand remanufactured (to a known quality) is available when repair turnarounds are excessive. The units have a known value and you purchase them at that known price. Once you provide your faulty unit, the transaction will be credited the exchange value straight up. Initial credit is ~ full price of unit, credit is difference to bring a shell to agreed working condition.

Another option is to provide hotswap stock. A working unit is exchanged for a faulty unit under warranty claim with an authorisation for an agreed value. Once Root Cause Analysis is performed, credit is applied to the value warrantable. Depending on the terms of Warranty this could be the entire amount or a percentage or an amoutn equal to the warrantable period left.

If the fault is not warantable the repair costs to turn around to seed stock is charged to the customer from the credit authorised.

Might sound a little complicated but this sort of service wins business hand over foot in time critical industries. Considering how cut throat entertainment industry is, its amazing it is not more widely represented.

In response to reman parts exchange I say yep. When your livelihood is on the line you need confidence in your manufacturer to keep you working after committing to their product.

In my business the process works where secondhand remanufactured (to a known quality) is available when repair turnarounds are excessive. The units have a known value and you purchase them at that known price. Once you provide your faulty unit, the transaction will be credited the exchange value straight up. Initial credit is ~ full price of unit, credit is difference to bring a shell to agreed working condition.

Another option is to provide hotswap stock. A working unit is exchanged for a faulty unit under warranty claim with an authorisation for an agreed value. Once Root Cause Analysis is performed, credit is applied to the value warrantable. Depending on the terms of Warranty this could be the entire amount or a percentage or an amoutn equal to the warrantable period left.

If the fault is not warantable the repair costs to turn around to seed stock is charged to the customer from the credit authorised.

Might sound a little complicated but this sort of service wins business hand over foot in time critical industries. Considering how cut throat entertainment industry is, its amazing it is not more widely represented.

:blink: I would have to read or post VERY slowly to understand it  :P  :D 

I don't really care how it's done. All I care is if I spend 1300++€ on a professional product to do my job well. It better be reliable and I have to be sure I'll be able to use it in EVERY job I need it. Be it my actual unit or another one. I don't care.

I just care about having Bad GIGs with bad sound when it's not my fault and when I've made the investment to always have good sound.

Anyway, It was just one gig. Line6 was very fast and thomann as already shipped my unit back. I should have it for the next gig this Saturday B) 

Last gig was difficult. It took 4 times longer to sound check. And the quality was well below our current standard.

We did it just with a behringer 8 channel mixer and no outboard gear. I sold all my outboard gear when I bought the M20d...

So it was a very raw sound and we had  to run the backline very low because we couldn't get vocal volume without feedback!

We decided to go without monitoring to keep stage volume to a minimum and because the mixer only had 1 pre-fader aux. Only the singer used in-ear to hear her self.

Good thing we play the same stuff for some time now and we don't need to hear that well to be able to perform...  

In short, the last gig sounded like a rehearsal, not a concert. The people seamed to enjoy it. But we couldn't book again as the owner liked it but was not impressed  :(   

Yeah sorry, I thought it would get a little more commercial than required.

Basis of the idea is that there are so many hard luck stories about why you miss out on the gig and why you miss an opportunity that someone else grabs in this industry that it would be nice to be part of a story where the opposite happens. Where everything that could go wrong does and then you have invested in a product backed by a company who is there with you to deal with the issue however you need it and get you to the show without unecessary stress.

I'm not looking for a big break, quite the opposite, but somebody here might need it.

Nevertheless, my down time is limited and precious to me which means that I have an expectation that if I look after the gear I bought, then the gear (and the OEM) will look after me with the support I require, (at a cost if need be). If my brother's wedding is a week away and my M20d starts doing what yours did, I'd want to be able to look at the options above in order to achieve the return on investment when it counts, not when it is convenient for the OEM  (especially during warranty period).

It might be old fashioned but that sort of service builds brand loyalty and that spreads like wildfire nowadays through social media.

Unfortunately the cost of doing that would need to be built into the price.  No one in the industry offers that in this price range.  When you get up to $50k for a desk they overnight you a new one when problems happen.

I would be happy with a refurbished unit at a faster turnaround (than repair of the original).

Many thanks Don!

-Gary K

oh no!!!!

It did NOT return totally fixed! Today I saw the encoder flashing blue again (just briefly). After a while the red LED on the "mute all" button went completely off and the board entered the "mute all" mode by it self. Had to reboot to get sound again!

I have some important gigs ahead and I've lost the confidence on this mixer!

Don't know what to do!

Would easily accept a refurbished unit as well while waiting for repair.

I think the idea DBoomer is floating is:  To send your non-functional (NF) m20d back to Line 6.  Line 6 would send you back a refurb'ed (functional) m20d immediately.

The m20d you sent in gets diagnosed & repaired, and becomes part of their "refurb stock" for shipment to the next customer that sends in a NF m20d. 

-Gary K

• 2 weeks later...

FIXED!!!  B)  B)  B)  B) 

I'm glad to announce that Line6 is a great company with great costumer service! 

I've made video prof of my faulty mixer and the fail in fixing the first time. They sent me a new one in advance and sent UPS to collect the faulty one, so I don't have to spend any more time without a mixer to work with! Now, this is GREAT service! 

Thanks Line6, I will be talking good things about you for a long, long time   :D