Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Mapping HD500X

muech011

Hi.

I am currently thinking about switching from my heavy rack to a multi-fx board for smaller gigs. Upon checking the requirements against the features of the HD500X there's one item not totally clear to me.

Requirement:

Program-Changes are sent from the keyboard-sequencer via midi to the device. The existing program change events should not be changed in the midi-files.

Fullfilled Capabilities HD500X:

It is able to receive midi program change events

Unknown Capabilities HD500X:

It should change to (let's say) preset 16D when receiving Program change to 34

In other words: Is it possible for the device to receive a given program change and map it to a specific preset?

Thanks for your help.

ChriS

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know what the keyboard-sequencer is.   if it can handle mutiple midi channels, set the pod to anything other than omni and control it with that specific midi channel.   "sequencer" seems to imply it should be able to do that.

when i owned a korg z1 i believe i could set a midi channel for each of its programmable arpeggio notes independently.

from a daw, just add a new midi track set to a unique midi channel other than omni.

meuch011 said the MIDI files (hence, Program Change values) aren't to be touched.

For example, say the sequence spits out a PC value of 009 during the chorus, and you want POD to switch to preset 12C.

POD cannot tell 12C to respond to PC 009, but you can easily move 12C to 03B (or copy it into a different setlist at 03B), which responds to PC 009.

Igloo has the best answer.

Fact 1: HD500 has no ability to map MIDI Patch Changes.

Fact 2: Source of MIDI Patch Changes cannot be changed

Solution A: working with available equipment is to create a Set List that locates the required patches where they are expected to be

Solution B: adding additional hardware - another device does the MIDI Mapping... e.g. general computing device (Laptop, iPad, ...) or a dedicated MIDI Mapping Device is programmed for this specific set of requirements.

I would go with Solution A every time.

And request that Line 6 add what is a really simple requirement of Incoming MIDI Mapping to the features of the HD Pods or their replacements

And request that Line 6 supports MIDI over USB so that the Pod can act as a MIDI Interface for a PC

And request that Line 6 add what is a really simple requirement of Incoming MIDI Mapping to the features of the HD Pods or their replacements

I totally get mapping incoming CCs to parameters, but is another layer required for program changes? Can setlist management accomplish the same thing, or is there a real desire to have presets in the same setlist support two mapping protocols simultaneously—local, via the switches, and remotely, via MIDI?

The problem with set list based mapping is that if the MIDI master device has say 10 patches that want to use the same HD patch, and then if you need to tweak that patch - for example to make a change to the EQ (.... Global EQ....) Then it is a rather drawn out process to copy the modified patch to the other 9 locations, and then when testing you find you need to tweak again...

What should be a few seconds in dragging into minutes, and if this is between songs while live?