Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream rig - true parallel paths possible?

Been digging thru the manuals and hdedit, time to ask the users -

Using a full dream rig w/VDI from the variax, is there a way to send the JTV mags thru one path (fx/amp/fx) to the DT - and send the modeling direct to an output (xlr)? 

Been beating my head against the monitor and can't seem to figure this out - is it even possible??

Thanks.......

Sort of -

Split your amp model into two; define one input as "variax" and the other as "variax mags".

Then, using the mixer block, pan them left and right.

The issue you are going to then run into is the output modes. You might be able to work around this by defining the DT with the L6Link as the amp model A only; and then using the Studio/Direct mode so the XLR sends are "PA" / mixer / recording-friendly.

I've mucked about a little bit with that idea; particularly attempting to split the variax and variax mags. I wanted to run the mags side out the FX loop into some pedals, and use the variax side for the acoustic models and be able to toggle between them or have both on at the same time.

Then I tried a different idea, I ran the 1/4" out from the JTV into some outboard pedals, then into the HD500, and also used the VDI cable to the HD500, and defined that signal as 'variax mags'.

Not sure which of any of these paths worked best, overall I just struggled with DSP limits, and getting the two amp models to level properly, stuff like that.

Sort of -

Split your amp model into two; define one input as "variax" and the other as "variax mags".

Then, using the mixer block, pan them left and right.

The issue you are going to then run into is the output modes. You might be able to work around this by defining the DT with the L6Link as the amp model A only; and then using the Studio/Direct mode so the XLR sends are "PA" / mixer / recording-friendly.

I've mucked about a little bit with that idea; particularly attempting to split the variax and variax mags. I wanted to run the mags side out the FX loop into some pedals, and use the variax side for the acoustic models and be able to toggle between them or have both on at the same time.

Then I tried a different idea, I ran the 1/4" out from the JTV into some outboard pedals, then into the HD500, and also used the VDI cable to the HD500, and defined that signal as 'variax mags'.

Not sure which of any of these paths worked best, overall I just struggled with DSP limits, and getting the two amp models to level properly, stuff like that.

Yah, this is what I'd like to achieve - run the mags thru typical fx/amps, and the modeling (mostly for acoustics) straight to the PA.  Jandrio's link, tho informative, doesn't take into account the Link-to-DT part of the equation, it would be (somewhat) obvious if I were just running everything straight to PA.

I had hoped to drag the mixer in front of the entire chain, split the path into 2 discrete lines right from the git-go, but it doesn't seem to be possible.  I'll poke about based on your comments, see what i can make happen.

(Course this might not be needed if Workbench included a basic EQ on acoustic models - make'em sound better thru clean amps, take out some of that lower-mid bulge.  I put such a suggestion on the IdeaScale (is that what it's called?) some weeks back - feel free to nudge it.....)

Thanks!

...Jandrio's link, tho informative, doesn't take into account the Link-to-DT part of the equation, it would be (somewhat) obvious if I were just running everything straight to PA.....!

since output mode affects ONLY MIC+CAB emulation, I believe that if u send the acoustic modesl (yes, u cld even achieve stereo!) via XLR 2 pa wld sound perfect.

so i suggest u set output mode 2 whatever sounds best 4 ur dt amp via L6 Link...

• 3 weeks later...

I split the electric guitars and the acoustic guitars by placing an FX loop on the acoustic patches and running a 1/4" fx send cable to the PA, while the electric patches go to the DT25 (which also goes to the PA via DI) 

There is a problem tho: when I'm in an acoustic patch, my DT buzzes like it's got an un-terminated cable plugged in. Which maybe it is what with an fx loop send and no return? No, I don't think that's it. Anyone know of a solution?

...There is a problem tho: when I'm in an acoustic patch, my DT buzzes like it's got an un-terminated cable plugged in. Which maybe it is what with an fx loop send and no return? No, I don't think that's it. Anyone know of a solution?

a. may b it's a ground loop problem...

b. ensure FX LOOP mix=100, so no dry signal passes thru...