Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G90 Dropout Problems

Hey guys-

I bought a Line 6 G90 to put in my rack roughly about a year ago. The thing works, but will cut out if I move anywhere far away from it. 

Honestly for the first year, I really didn't find myself using it, but it was nice to have. I think it worked fine though, but I wish I would have been a little more rigorous in testing it so I could verify that it worked or not. For some big gigs, it functioned alright, I think it was 100% working properly.

As I mentioned, lately, I'll move out front to hear the band while we sound check. If I move down or off the stage, I get dropouts. Move back closer, and I'm alright. Sounds like an antennae/range problem. But my antenna settings are : C & D Yesterday, I tried pointing the antennas more forward in case I just wasn't getting a proper line. Still nothing. During the same show I ventured over the opposite side of the stage, and the G90 cut out. I was probably 10 feet away from it, and parallel to the antennas.

Anyways, what gives? I'm thinking my G90 is malfunctioning. I've tried scanning/using new channels, but the channels still have problems. 

the G90 is placed near my EW300 reciever for in-ears. I've got a drawer below, so I put the two together so I could actually plug them in on the rear. Would this cause a problem? I imagine it may create RF, but why would I be good to go when close, but not good when I move away? If it was an RF interference problem between the two devices, I would think I just wouldn't get any sound at all due to the RF interference. Or I'd get intermittent sound wherever I stand.

The G90's pack is in a pouch on my guitar strap. When I go out into the crowd and face the stage, I'm turning away from the G90. Maybe that's the problem? I'm using a shure wireless cable as I've heard the Line 6 ones are crap.

Any other troubleshooting tips? I'm going to post on Line 6's forum as well.

Ben

the G90 is placed near my EW300 reciever for in-ears. I've got a drawer below, so I put the two together so I could actually plug them in on the rear. Would this cause a problem? I imagine it may create RF, but why would I be good to go when close, but not good when I move away?

I suspect you mean the EW300 transmitter is near the G90 receiver. as your IEM receiver is probably on your belt.  You can't do that.  You have  the IEM transmitter screaming into the G90's antennas at full power in close proximity. And even though they are not on the same band you will overload the G90's receiver.  You'll need to separate the antennas probably by at least 10 feet.  Put a pair of paddles on the G90.

btw ... Using the Shure cable will be noisier that using the L6 cable.  There is a small difference in the way they are wired.  There are Premium L6 cables available as well.

I don't see why a wifi digital device would interfere with an RF device. A few people here report success when using the EW300 & G90 systems.

www.talkbass.com/threads/wireless-receiver-for-bass-iem.1067715/page-2

I haven't had any issues with noise with the shure cables, but I had no idea

Read post #33 in the thread.  It is a bad practice to put any transmitter in close proximity with any receiver as you are finding out in practice.

What firmware rev are you running in both your G90 pieces?  Which mode are you running in? 

Thanks for the replies, DBoomer. I've got a gig tomorrow- unsure of my firmware versions. I bought the G90 about a year ago and have never updated firmware on the trans or receiver. High power on the transmitter. 

I'll try pulling my EW300 transmitter out of the rack and see if that remedies any of my problems. Will cause setup to take more time if I have to carry it to every gig, but we'll see if it makes a difference. I can run a wedge tomorrow with no wireless in ears and see if that makes a diff.

• 8 months later...

Read post #33 in the thread.  It is a bad practice to put any transmitter in close proximity with any receiver as you are finding out in practice.

What firmware rev are you running in both your G90 pieces?  Which mode are you running in? 

I'm on my second G90 unit and continuing to have persistent dropout issues. I've tried scanning for channels with least interference, switched my wifi router to 5ghz only (disabled 2.4ghz antenna entirely), tried new cables, nothing seems to help. 

I have my unit in the same rack as my Sennheiser EW300 IEM transmitter, and thought that might be the issue based on the post here, but I quoted the above sentence because I read the aforementioned post #33, and the point being referenced here doesn't bear that out. The point that poster is making is that he uses the two in the same rack and they do NOT interfere with each other, since they utilize completely different signal bands. 

There are technical reasons why it's bad form to put an IEM transmitter and a wireless receiver in the same rack, if they are working in the same band.

I too use line 6 and Sennheiser - and because they work in different bands, they don't interfere with each other.

I've tried the various troubleshooting tips and nothing seems to help. I can't get another replacement unit, the vendor I purchased it from only allows one exchange. The really frustrating thing is I have none of these issues with my G30. I thought I was upgrading when I bought the G90 but it remains to be seen. Very frustrating! 

Because it is not intuitive it makes it difficult to understand. But when your IEM'antennas are very close to your G90's antennas they ARE IN THE SAME BAND.

You must move one set of antennas to the other to get reliable operation.

Because it is not intuitive it makes it difficult to understand. But when your IEM'antennas are very close to your G90's antennas they ARE IN THE SAME BAND.

You must move one set of antennas to the other to get reliable operation.

Well, I just tested it and my unit is still dropping out even when the Sennheiser isn't turned on. So other than typing in all caps, do you have any suggestions? 

Can you post a picture of how you have the antennas set up? Are the antennas in good shape?   Ideally the antennas should be 45 degrees right and left like a set of rabbit ears. Assuming you do not have a laptop or a wireless hub on or in your rack, you should have significantly more than 10 feet of range. 

It is possible that your transmitter is not putting out enough power. Can you borrow another Relay or XD-V transmitter to test that?  If not I would recommend contacting service.