Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 Dead after failed Firmware Update

hzpyzs

I attempted to update the fw to 2.0 on my DT25 1x12. I got some error and decided to ship it.

Some days later I went to use the amp and found that it does post or boot fully. The lights come on, but the topology indicator pentode and triode indicator are off, no sound etc ..

I started to think it was the transformer issue that my DT50 had then I remembered the failed fw update.

I am using M-Audio MIDISPORT USB. I was using another usb to midi adapter and I was hoping getting the M-AUDIO would resolv my issue. No luck. I have tried reloading v1.0. I get the same error. This is what I can see in Monkey.

My ESN # says none ?

Current Flash Memory is unknown

I get the Code 8000000A An undefined error occurred.

I have tried safe mode, verifying the cables etc .. no luck. Please help !!

have you tried pinching the pentode/triode+topology switches together while powering on... hold until the lights start flashing, then release.

this should restore it to factory defaults after that run monkey to see what version of the FW you ended up on and flash again if needed.

also, some people have had success by only using the midi in and not connecting the midi out.

I tried pinching the switches for over a minute. No lights start flashing. Come to think of it, the errors in Monkey have always been the same. I had issues getting my first midi adapter to even see the dt25. Once they did, I got this same error. So maybe my first guess was correct, maybe he the amp is broke. It's sit's in my living and doesn't get used that often, so maybe it was broke before I started. I guess I will take it to the shop. He is a authorized service center so hopefully he can speak to Line 6 and get it figured out.

Thanks for trying to help. 

I just made a thread so I don't forget how I successfully reinstalled my DT50 flash memory. You can check it out, it may or may not help.

My Thread >> DT50 Head flash memory update instructions

Here's my instructions: DT50 Head Flash Memory Update;

First update MIDI Device (MIDISPORT Uno) Go the website and download and install the most recent driver.

Connect the MIDI cable properly and turn on Amp, I leave it in standby with speaker connected.

Open the Latest Version of Line 6 Monkey, Click the "Change Device" button, Cilck the "I don't see my device" Button, in the next window select "Connect Using MIDI Cables".

In the next window (MIDI Connection Configuration) select MIDI Out and select "MIDI Uno Out" and "MIDI Uno In" then select your specific "Line 6 Device" and when you click "ok" all those windows will close.

Now you can initiate the Flash Memory Update.

Basicly your setting the MIDI Parameters before the update. I have to do this everytime I want to reflash if I don't I'll get the "incorrect parameters" (Code x80000002) error message.

Following the procedure to the letter, it still took me multiple tries to get the firmware to take in my DT25.  It's some sort of issue with the amps as performing the same procedure over and over eventually worked for me.

• Upvote 1

Following the procedure to the letter, it still took me multiple tries to get the firmware to take in my DT25.  It's some sort of issue with the amps as performing the same procedure over and over eventually worked for me.

Thanks for telling us how your flash install went. I understand wholeheartedly, with these devices all sorts of things could be the cause of a particular issue.

Also, I should have menioned that the ESN is missing in Monkey for my Amp. Don't understand why though. After looking into the ESN number missing on the DT50 I'm starting to think that they just don't have one.

Edited by Brazzy

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I did have the latest driver. Pretty sure I followed those same steps, I did try multiple times. I had assumed since the amp was acting like my DT50 when it had a failed tranformer, it was time to take it to the only Line 6 authourized service center around. After 10 days he called and said he had determined the the effects board ? had failed and needed to be replaced. He stated that Line 6 recently went to a email only parts process and that so far they had not been able to get in touch with Line 6. I reminded that I had attempted a firmware update and asked if was certain it needs new effects board ?

He just said yes. Kind of makes me wish I still had the amp with me ....

I never got Monkey to show that it could see the v1 firmware, so sadly I don't if it was in fact broken from a failed effects board before I started or if now only appears to be broken to the tech because of the failed update. The hope was that by using a authourized service, he would be in close contact with Line 6 and up to date on all the diagnostic procedures from them. I not really getting that warm fuzzy though..  The guy who runs the store told me Line 6 was bought by Yamaha, who in his opinion is the obsolete worst manuafacture in the world for getting replacement parts   .. Thankfully, I am only doing open jam nights and using the house amp or I would of had to run out and bought another amp already .. For my DT50 it took 3 months for the transformer to be shipped to the dealer ....

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies. I did have the latest driver. Pretty sure I followed those same steps, I did try multiple times. I had assumed since the amp was acting like my DT50 when it had a failed tranformer, it was time to take it to the only Line 6 authourized service center around. After 10 days he called and said he had determined the the effects board ? had failed and needed to be replaced. He stated that Line 6 recently went to a email only parts process and that so far they had not been able to get in touch with Line 6. I reminded that I had attempted a firmware update and asked if was certain it needs new effects board ?

He just said yes. Kind of makes me wish I still had the amp with me ....

I never got Monkey to show that it could see the v1 firmware, so sadly I don't if it was in fact broken from a failed effects board before I started or if now only appears to be broken to the tech because of the failed update. The hope was that by using a authourized service, he would be in close contact with Line 6 and up to date on all the diagnostic procedures from them. I not really getting that warm fuzzy though..  The guy who runs the store told me Line 6 was bought by Yamaha, who in his opinion is the obsolete worst manuafacture in the world for getting replacement parts   .. Thankfully, I am only doing open jam nights and using the house amp or I would of had to run out and bought another amp already .. For my DT50 it took 3 months for the transformer to be shipped to the dealer ....

I know that I swore I wouldn't post anymore........

But it sure looks like another satisfied customer to me !!!!!

I'm just sayin'

E-mail parts only...wait for days....Months.....

Effects board failure kills entire amp set-up....

Dream Rigs turn to nightmare Gigs....

HEEE! HEEE! HEEE!

T-Boner!!!!****Will Personal Messenger 'Ya with times and dates TBA if that's OK???

Have to keep info private.

Remember that I'm a guest at friends homes when we travel.

Hope yer housebroke and have had ALL your shots.

Reguardless, we will hook it up out there OCT. somehow.....

Glad you had sucess with your latest outing.

Have some Rasputin Imperial cold Little Brother,

C.W.

Will keep an eye on things as I need a good laugh once in a while....

this sounds a lot more like a fugged up service center than an actual Line 6 service problem... 

of course you will never know but I would bet dollars to doughnuts there is nothing wrong with the effects board...

I guess I am just the lone lucky dude in the universe but I have never had a spot of trouble with any of my Line 6 gear other than a worn pot on my original Spyder 210...

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply. I guess I always assumed that a authourized service center worked closer with a manafacture, maybe that was wishfull thinking. I never got any flashing lights when attempting to reset to factory settings. I never got Monkey to connect and recognize the current firmware. The upgrade always gave me the same error, so although I can see a failed upgrade (corrupted firmware) making a hardware person assume replacing the part was needed, I guess I will never know ...

If there was a phone relationship between the tech and the service center, the tech at Line 6 would have oppurtunity to ask my local guy, did you try reloading the firmware ? That was my thinking by always taking the amp to a authourized repair center. Since I now know no such realtionship exists, and I am out of warranty, I guess I can just ask around for the local amp guru and take it there next time.

My DT 50 now drops volume after getting warm and I have to crank it way louder than normal to be able use it. That I will assume is a sign of failing tubes and no fault of Line 6. Nature of the beast hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey this may seem odd but I can not find the firmware update for the DT25 hd    the line 6 website shows all the features of the update but doesnt have any link to get it.. can some one send me a url or  website address to get it.

• 1 month later...

So after 2 months the authourized repair center basically said, sorry, we can't help you. Line 6 would never reply to our emails and let us know the part # or the cost. So now, I have a very cool looking$850 + paperweight. So now what ? Can I ship it ot Line 6 or since it is out warranty is it in fact a paperweight ? Not very happy to say the least.  

I would open a support ticket and let line6 advise you directly: http://line6.com/company/contact/

I'm certain that they would have given the repair center the part information.

you can also call them...

So after 2 months the authourized repair center basically said, sorry, we can't help you. Line 6 would never reply to our emails and let us know the part # or the cost. So now, I have a very cool looking$850 + paperweight. So now what ? Can I ship it ot Line 6 or since it is out warranty is it in fact a paperweight ? Not very happy to say the least.  

My DT 50 now drops volume after getting warm and I have to crank it way louder than normal to be able use it. That I will assume is a sign of failing tubes and no fault of Line 6. Nature of the beast hopefully.

Open a support ticket or call Line 6 and tell them what kind of brick wall your running into. As for the DT50 I recently had to put power tubes in it, did it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will help, but you never know. I haven't tired to update, and it probably uses proprietary software to do so, but:

I recently updated my FCB1010 firmware using a midisport MIDI interface. It gave me enourmous trouble. Latest drivers, etc. all useless. I finally fixed it by reducing the block size I believe, and possibly increasing the delay between blocks. I think it was the block size though that fixed it. Unfortunately, it's all from memory as I'm overseas. The point is, with the midisport interfaces, it seems that they are a little flaky and you may need to find a way to slow the transmission down by chunking the data if possible.

Just a thought in case it helps.

• 5 months later...

I got my amp back last week. After several weeks at the local store, that at least "was" a Line 6 service center, the tech told me, "come get it, I can't get Line 6 to reply".

Needless to say I was bummed. The amp became a door stop for the next few months. Line 6 basically said, "sorry, try another service center". So ... I sold my DT50 and my POD 500. I am still a little but hurt over the Guitar Port to be honest, loved that thing, paid good money every month, then poof !! So I figured it was time to move on from Line 6, the DT-50 blew a tranformer, fixed at my cost, after waiting months for that part, $280. Now, my DT-25 needs a mainboard replaced ? At my cost, another $272 !! WTH ??? 2 amps, 2 costly issues both out of warranty. I bought a Fender Mustang III v2. Cheap decent sounding solid state amp. I missed having a tube amp so I ended picking up Marshall DSL 40C. Not a bad amp, for the money, depends on the style of music.

The last week, after he too sat on my DT-25 for 2 months, the tech calls to tell me it is done. His opinion and experience with Yamaha was the polar opposite of what the first tech told me. OMG, do these things sound great !! Easily the best sounding amp I own !! I just don't really know if I can count it though. I have owned it 3 years and between normal things like replacing the tubes twice, waiting on parts or waiting to go in for service it has spent a easy 11 months down. Let's hope all my bad luck with Line 6 is out the way. Wish me luck !!

• Upvote 1

The last week, after he too sat on my DT-25 for 2 months, the tech calls to tell me it is done. His opinion and experience with Yamaha was the polar opposite of what the first tech told me. OMG, do these things sound great !! Easily the best sounding amp I own !! I just don't really know if I can count it though. I have owned it 3 years and between normal things like replacing the tubes twice, waiting on parts or waiting to go in for service it has spent a easy 11 months down. Let's hope all my bad luck with Line 6 is out the way. Wish me luck !!

Good luck! I hear ya, it's frustrating waiting on repair shops. I took mine to an authorized L6 service center, and paid them to rebias and put JJ's tubes in it, but then shortly after found out the DT amps all require Electro Harmonix tubes ONLY, and so I am going to be taking the DT25's back less than two weeks after I just got them done, to get EH tubes in and rebias.

Apparently, the primary issues, are when an amp tech uses non EH tubes, and uses the EH bias spec, it can cause problems. The bias spec is for a matched pair of EH tubes; and that spec is not compatible with other tube brands.

For what it's worth, here are some specific comments, including the contact info of the Line6 amp tech - connect your amp tech with this guy if your amp repair shop has any questions / is confused... RIght now, I am in the hole for an extra set of tubes for two DT25's (basically $100) plus the cost of redoing the amps - they are going to cut me some slack on the price, but it will still amount to at least a $100 mis step on my part... I will be able to get the $ back from thetubestore.com for the JJ's, they are being really cool as well.

Don't assume that because a shop is an authorized L6 service center, they will stop you from doing the wrong thing -  I told them to use JJ's tubes, so they did! Would have been nice if Line6 had been more direct in explaining that their authorized service centers should only use EH brand tubes when doing DT retubes, but, like most things in life, we learn the hard way.

Here are some thread links, look for all the comments made by 'psarkissian':

Partev Sarkissian

Repair Technician, Repair Dept

Line 6, Inc.

26664 Agoura Rd

Calabasas, CA 91302

phone: 818-575-3600

http://line6.com/support/topic/2998-is-it-a-tube-problem/

http://line6.com/support/topic/12006-dt-tubes-is-there-only-one-choice/

Read this before you change the tubes in your DT amplifiers!

The key points:

·         For DT50 amps: use matched pair of Electro Harmonix EL34 power amp tubes with a pair of Electro Harmonix 12AX7 tubes.

·         For DT25 amps: use matched pair of Electro Harmonix EL84 power amp tubes with a single Electro Harmonix 12AX7 tube.

Use ONLY Electro Harmonix brand tubes in your DT amplifiers!

·         JJ's have a tendency to damage certain parts of the processor board

·         Mesa's tend to "red plate"

·         Groove tubes tend to do a host of other damages

Because of the way Bogner designs the tube portions of these amps, and that this is a hybrid and not the usual bill-of-fare tube amp, you should re-tube using the specified EH from Electro-Harmonix tubes. You can't use the EH bias spec on other tubes. The spec is dialed in for the EH's. All too often these come across our bench for no other reason than having non-specified tube inside (JJ's, Mesa, Groove Tube), using the specified bias. That does not work.

I got my amp back last week. After several weeks at the local store, that at least "was" a Line 6 service center, the tech told me, "come get it, I can't get Line 6 to reply".

Needless to say I was bummed. The amp became a door stop for the next few months. Line 6 basically said, "sorry, try another service center". So ... I sold my DT50 and my POD 500. I am still a little but hurt over the Guitar Port to be honest, loved that thing, paid good money every month, then poof !! So I figured it was time to move on from Line 6, the DT-50 blew a tranformer, fixed at my cost, after waiting months for that part, $280. Now, my DT-25 needs a mainboard replaced ? At my cost, another $272 !! WTH ??? 2 amps, 2 costly issues both out of warranty. I bought a Fender Mustang III v2. Cheap decent sounding solid state amp. I missed having a tube amp so I ended picking up Marshall DSL 40C. Not a bad amp, for the money, depends on the style of music.

Holey moley!  

I bought an 8-month-old DT50-112 3 weeks ago.  First time I played it at home I determined that I should have bought one when they first came out, and that I'll never be without one ever again--the tone is that good!  Not good, sublime.  The next day I started noticing symptoms like over-heating, excessive noise floor, ground buzz (even with no cord plugged in), and learned that my amp is part of the series of amps that are implicated under TSB 059.  And it's now been in the shop for one week.  

After reading your saga and that you just got your amp back, my mind is blown, and my heart sunk.  What have I gotten myself into???

I had reservations about modern tube amps (having owned a Dual Showman Reverb for over 35 years with absolutely no issues other than dirty pots), but this is worse by far than any worst-case scenario I could previously have imagined.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I SURE HOPE YOUR LUCK IMPROVES...

...AND THAT I'M LUCKIER THAN YOU WERE!!!

Don't let my luck cause you stress. You are lucky in that Line 6 has indentified the TSB. My DT50 was bought as a "factory second" so it never had a warranty. If I had known about this TSB, and it was fixed at no cost to me, I would likely still have it and still be a customer.

Looking back,  other than selling products of questionable reliability, Line 6 as a corp was fine. It was mostly in dealing with the first service center that made me want to look elsewhere.

I see myself keeping my DT 25 until either parts are no longer available, or the cost of a repair is so high that it simply no longer makes sense. That being said, as with any tube amp, I will be sure to always have a plan "B" at any gig.

So looking back, although I can't prove anything, I think my mainboard might have failed before I tried the firmware update. This could be why I could never see the DT 25 fully in Monkey.

I have had the tubes replaced, I am not sure what brand ... will have to check that when I get home ..

Hopefully things will only get better now that Line 6 has Yammaha as a parent corp. I am liking the Firehawk and might be willing to give Line 6 a chance to change my opinion about reliability of there products.