Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 600 replacements?

Hey there,

I recently moved to the idea of replacing Variax's 600 LR Baggs tremolo bridge

I would like something more...... Fendery. 2 point still, like the American standard ones, but with screwed arm.

I also have the Ghost Graph Tech saddles on (great upgrade)

Anybody have any idea, which tremolo bridges are fitting the 600 in dimensions with no problem? Off course I have no problem drilling larger holes for the 2 point if required

Also, I have an idea of maybe replacing the neck. Nothing wrong with it but, I HATE maple. Any idea again where could I find a neck replacement? I know Warmoth was doing stuff like that but I can't seem to find anything on their page for variaxs anymore

My 600 is my working horse and I'd like to shape it to my likes with no compromise. 

Thanx in advance

Warmoth necks for Fender Strats should fit.  You can order them without the holes drilled or drill new holes in your body.  The only difference is the hole locations for mounting the neck to the body.  I do not have any bridge info though.  I have a 500 which is a hardtail which is the way I like it.  Stays in tune and there is no trem to fuss with.

thanx for the reply Charlie Watt, really helpful

Clay, it's a matter of feel. I really like the feel of rosewood

My main concern is replacing the tremolo though :-(

Funny because I used to be a rosewood person and when I got my 600 I fell in love with the finish maple fretboard so hard. Really smooth to play on, easier to clean than a rosewood fretboard. Looks awesome too, especially with the dark glossy finish.

The only guitar I can stand the maple neck is my '76 tele, wich I wouldn't replace for the world, but, the finis is nice and thin and it doesn't give you the impression that you're holding something "plastic" (like the variax)

The dark glossy finnish DOES look cool though

But I guess that's another talk ....right?

Any suggestions for the tremolo matter?

• Upvote 1

The only guitar I can stand the maple neck is my '76 tele, wich I wouldn't replace for the world, but, the finis is nice and thin and it doesn't give you the impression that you're holding something "plastic" (like the variax)

The dark glossy finnish DOES look cool though

But I guess that's another talk ....right?

Any suggestions for the tremolo matter?

An option which may just kill two birds with one stone....

I loved my 600 when I first got it (well ok, AFTER I got the neck closer in size and shape to my Strat which had been my only player for years), but the tremelo just never cut it. Never stayed in tune, and as it got older, it got worse. The two post system is a major failure in my opinion with ALL Strat style guitars. Metal fatigue, and resultant wear, where the two points meet, means really bad tuning stability ensues.

I got around this by buying a couple of cheap Strat copies, and installing the guts of my 300 and 600 into them along with replacing the piezos with Graphtech Ghost saddles. I have one maple, and one rosewood fretboard, otherwise they are identical pretty much. Tuning now is not perfect, but it's MUCH better, and even with heavy use, I just have to tug a couple of strings to pull them down in pitch if needed.

The brand I chose is SX (Essex) and after a bit of work the necks are great. Look around, and you'll find the other style of trem you want is on a lot of copies too, and they'll most likely be the same size as the Baggs. Measure the string spacing on the Baggs, and sally forth (with ruler in pocket) into pawn shop heaven!

Good luck!

since  you   like the hard tail  you  have  a couple  of  options.  1)  block the  tremelo  which meand  you put a wooden block   between the tremelo  and  body  locking it  in place.  or add  more  and  heavier  springs  so  it locks  in place . and  loose  the existing  arm.   or third  option  just change  out the  existing  tremelo block to a fender  one with a threaded  arm  which  you seem to want..  a mexican  block  should  work  i doubt the american   block would  match  up since   the graph tech pickus   i used  on mine  had  to be  for  the mexican  strat. .....  have  fun. 

since  you   like the hard tail  you  have  a couple  of  options.  1)  block the  tremelo  which meand  you put a wooden block   between the tremelo  and  body  locking it  in place.  or add  more  and  heavier  springs  so  it locks  in place . and  loose  the existing  arm.   or third  option  just change  out the  existing  tremelo block to a fender  one with a threaded  arm  which  you seem to want..  a mexican  block  should  work  i doubt the american   block would  match  up since   the graph tech pickus   i used  on mine  had  to be  for  the mexican  strat. .....  have  fun. 

Thanx for the reply,

I am NOT a big fan of hardtail, I mean, I don't mind Les Pauls and Teles but I think since my 600 is my working horse I'd like it to have a tremolo (for those tricks y'know). 

Now, are you telling me that a mexican 2point fender tremolo would do on the 600 with the graph techs?

no  what im saying  is the tremelo  block  underneath    should  fit  your  existing tremelo plate  saving  you all the  work  of  having to dirll and debur  holes  for the pickup  wires.   so putting  that on will give  you the  threaded  trem arm  you seem to want  from the  above  posts.

if you change the  whole thing  out  your gonna  have  to drill for the pickup  wires  and    youll have to be   real sure  there  are  no burrs   in those   pickup wire  holes    or youll eventually  wear  away  your  insulation.    my way   you  dont  have to sweat  that out.