Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hey guys, I've had my 500X for quite some time now, and am still having issues. 

When recording on my MacBook, I get a terrible buzzing noise, almost feedback, in my DAW. Whether it's garageband or Reaper. Here's the first video I did with it, you can hear the noise.  I'm recording via USB.

My cover of FaceDown    

The actual song for sound comparison        

The noise is very distinctive.. Almost uncatchable. But the strange thing is, is when I use my acoustic, it's silk smooth. Just like glass. But with an electric, whether it's my schecter, or Gibson LP, it's got that god awful noise. Honestly, I'm almost thinking about sending it to Line 6 and seeing whether they can fix it or not.

Yeah, I made a few mistakes. Lol

Thanks guys.

Sounds like harmonic distortions. Overdrive setting, maybe a smidgeon of EQ.

Upper string with too much ring going thru fuzz processing?

Do another vid, one string and let it ring. Hard to isolate when doing chords of eighth note rhythm. 

Something in the harmonic content of the sound.

Anything preset on the POD to me is useless and usually tends to clip the input in reaper I hate Mac so don't use GarageBand but I'm sure your pushing to hard somewhere. Also u have to remember that the guitar tone your hearing on the band's song is recorded in a professional studio with thousands if not millions of dollars worth of equipment and best sound processing out there. Your recording at home thru a simple USB to computer. I've always found the adage of less is more to be very important with using pod fx. Check everything Gain settings on amp and output on distortion try lowering them or channel volume very important.

Yeah, like I said, I'm using reaper 64bit. However, maybe I am pushing too hard. I'll play and tweak. But the thing about all of the recording stuff, I understand that this won't sound like a million dollar studio quality thing, but seeing other videos on YouTube, it just blows me away. Specifically why I bought it.

If I did a MIDI output or some other output besides USB, do you think it would be any better?

Here is something to check.

Press and hold the VIEW button to bring up the system setup options. Use the right nav button to go to page 4 "outputs". To get the best sound when recording through USB, be sure the output is set to Studio/Direct. If it is set to one of the combo or stack options, the 500x will sound strange through your computer.

Likewise, when you hook it back up to your amp, be sure to set this option back to to the Combo or Stack option for whatever type of amp you are using, because Studio/Direct setting might sound strange through your guitar amp as well. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Under $150, what other gear would I have to buy?

Nothing more is required at this point. A decent set of studio headphones and/or monitors is a logical next step.

Here is something to check.

Press and hold the VIEW button to bring up the system setup options. Use the right nav button to go to page 4 "outputs". To get the best sound when recording through USB, be sure the output is set to Studio/Direct. If it is set to one of the combo or stack options, the 500x will sound strange through your computer.

Likewise, when you hook it back up to your amp, be sure to set this option back to to the Combo or Stack option for whatever type of amp you are using, because Studio/Direct setting might sound strange through your guitar amp as well. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

The "outputs" do not affect the USB stream, it is always studio direct.

The "outputs" do not affect the USB stream, it is always studio direct.

I just hooked my 500x up to Garageband through USB, played a power chord and changed the output setting while the chord was sustaining. You can hear the sound change in the recording. I would upload the recording but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. I urge you to check this out for yourself.