Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First Gig with our new Stagesource System started with L3S failure

First an introduction of myself: i am a 39 year old guitar player from germany. I Play in a 4 men coverband. Please apologize my english, but school is long ago.........

Last year we bought the stagescape m20d and used it with two db arena 18sw and two mackies c300. Sound was good, but this year we decided to upgrade to the stagesource sytem. They arrived last monday, so we were able to test them at our rehearsel.

Today we giged at an open air event. After the soundcheck we started our opener, and after 30 seconds the pa stopped playing. Worst case!!!!!!!!! But we found the problem immediately. The first speaker in the bus , a L3S, switched off, so the other speaker lost the connection to the stagescape. We saved the gig by taking the L3S out of the chain. So we played two L3T and only one L3S. It worked but without a fat low-end.

After the gig we tried to start the broken L3S again, but without any results. When you switch it on, you can hear a clicking, perhaps a relay, but the speaker doesnt come to life. It is only clicking and clicking again. The LED on the front side stay dark and no sound is coming out of the L3S.

What could be happened????? Wrong daisy chain???? We used m20d----> L3S ------> L3T ------> L3S ---------> L3T. Or perhaps to much level from the m20d???? But i thought to much level would activate the limiter of the L3S!?!?! Or a monday production ( i dont know if you use this word, in germany it means a bad production day)?!?!??!

Thanx for helping

So these are brand new speakers? If they are going to fail it is much more likely during the first dozen hours of operation.

It's very unlikely that any damage could occur from any L6 link configuration. I would suggest contacting your dealer and getting it replaced.

good morning, and thanks for the fast reply.

i will contact my dealer tomorrow on monday. yesterday we were a little bit disappointed because the failure happened early in the life of the speakers. first we planed to equalise the missing low-end by powering up the second L3S, but then we were frightened that another failure could give us the rest.

what are the experiences of the other users??? how many failure have accompanied  you?

I have only had one serious issue, which turned out to be either a faulty cable or an improperly seated cable which caused poor quality sound from one L3t. Not sure which it was as we swapped out/reseated cables during a break and all was well again.

As Don B has stated, given that there was a problem very early in its life, get that speaker replaced.

Good luck!

So these are brand new speakers? If they are going to fail it is much more likely during the first dozen hours of operation.

It's very unlikely that any damage could occur from any L6 link configuration. I would suggest contacting your dealer and getting it replaced.

Definitely agree. I had an L3S arrive and had issues out of the box. Had it replaced and no problems since.

Definitely agree. I had an L3S arrive and had issues out of the box. Had it replaced and no problems since.

How did you go about it and, more importantly, how did Line6 go about it? 

I think I need to replace my M20d...  :(

Might be the speaker BUT I've had similar issues with a bad XLR connection in the Line6 link.  The loose XLR connection caused the speaker to continually cycle while it tried to figure out how many speakers were in the system.  We initially diagnosed it as a power problem with the speaker and tried to change power sources and cords, with little luck.  Then we changed to a different XLR cord and voila.

This may not be your problem but the symptoms look just like some sort of power failure in the speaker.

thanks for your answer. our L3S shows the symptom also without any cable plugged in.

i contacted my local dealer and he contacted the german line6 distribution. their answer: the L3S get a repair, but no replacement. 

what should i say??? 3 hours of life is a short life for a speaker, but it is long enough to be my problem.   :angry:

@DuekDuek,

Could you return the l3s for a refund?

I don't know protocol outside the US, but is there a Line 6 Customer Service contact where you are? if the product is new and defective and if you have a return privilege, then I would want it replaced or I would return the defective unit for a refund.

I don't think your dealer is servicing you well on this. Just an opinion.

thanks for your answer. our L3S shows the symptom also without any cable plugged in.

i contacted my local dealer and he contacted the german line6 distribution. their answer: the L3S get a repair, but no replacement. 

what should i say??? 3 hours of life is a short life for a speaker, but it is long enough to be my problem.   :angry:

"Distribution" will always favor a repair over a replacement.  But your dealer should be taking care of this - if they have a return policy, then you should exercise it and return the defective one for a refund and purchase another one with the refund (if they make you go through that whole process).  And if they don't want to, I'd start mentioning that you'll exercise your right to return the WHOLE system (assuming you're still within the dealer's return policy) based on the fact/idea that you're not getting the customer service you deserve...

Just my humble opinion....

it is nice to see how all of you try to help me. but everything ist all right.

in germany it is like this:

if you buy something in a local store you have no rights to give it back / to refund it.

when you purchase something through the internet, you have 14 days to refund it. many german internet dealer give you 30 days, but that is their decision.

i bought my stagesource system at my local dealer, because they give me better payment conditions and i prefer to give little shops the chance to be alive in these days.

therefore i have to wait 2-3 days longer to get the things i wanna have, because they haven*t all these things in their warehouse, so they order it from their distributors.

for example: in germany the L3S costs 1199 euro and the L3T 999 euro. my local dealer gave me the L3S for 1075 and the L3T for 895. i wanted to buy the L3T now and the L3S at the end of august. my local dealer handle it like this: he purchased the whole system for me and said: give me the rest of the money when august ends.

so i think they servicing me good, but if something happens like this (broken L3S) i got some disadvantages.

I must say that I would not be happy with that dealer. I would be very unhappy with them, in fact. I would expect that unit replaced immediately. Whatever the letter of the law says, a good dealer will try to help you and go beyond it. That is certainly what I have found in 30+ years of buying pro-audio equipment for stage and studio. I do regular business with some stores in Germany (you can probably guess which ones) and they have always been excellent. If there was a problem with anything it was "no questions asked" - a replacement of refund with no arguments at all. Under EU law the responsibility to sort this out lies with the dealer who sold it to you, not with the distributor. I also understand that in Germany you have a right to 'annul' the contract where an item is faulty within a short time after delivery. Whatever the law says, though, you are spending a lot of money with that dealer and I'd expect a different attitude from them. You should not be left with a faulty (or no) speaker, causing you stress and inconvenience. Hope they resolve it quickly for you.

if there would be a gig in the next two weeks, perhaps i  got a similar opinion like you. but next one ist on august the 9th, and i'm not the guy who tries to make problems if there isn't anyone.

in these days many people demand so much from other people, but they forget the human behind it. my dealer never treated me wrong. look the special deals i told in my thread above. i also use the big T (i think you meant this dealer), but they never made a special offer to me. they determine the prices in whole europe and it is hard for the local dealers. but one part of their success is to serve all the wishes of their customers immediately. and i think this is not the way it has to go. everthing goes faster and faster, and more and more people can't stand this pressure and crack. for example: in the early days of ebay you sold things and everything was ok when the package arrived within 10 days. today you sometimes got a bad feedback if the package won't arrive within 5 days.

but perhaps i just got a different view of this..........

my fear was that the stagesource system isn't as solid as the regular systems on the market. but you guys already compose me. if they running, it seems to be a solid and good system.

my fear was that the stagesource system isn't as solid as the regular systems on the market. but you guys already compose me. if they running, it seems to be a solid and good system.

Its never fun when you are the guy with the broken one ... but if you bought a thousand systems of any brand you would probably find a dozen of them would fail in the first dozen hours of operation, even though everything is tested at the factory.  There's a number of things that contribute to this ... new parts themselves sometimes fail for no apparent reason, shipping may have cause it or evil spirits (just kidding :)).

I can't speak for how things are handled in Germany, but the good news is that your units will be repaired and working, probably to a higher standard than a freshly manufactured one. If you just received a new one then the same thing could happen again.

• 4 weeks later...

...but the good news is that your units will be repaired and working, probably to a higher standard than a freshly manufactured one. If you just received a new one then the same thing could happen again.

Is it just me, or do others also find this statement, coming from someone apparently affiliated with the company, somewhat scary? In layman's terms this means (my interpretation) that ex-works workmanship is somewhat on the lacking side, and the customer will run the real risk of finding out the hard way. Then, once the flimsy contact, cold soldering spot or whatever has been identified (by way of equipment failure), somebody in the repair department will take care of it and do it right.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. It´s not just a Line6 related Problem. It´s with nearly every vendor who sells electronics. Some odd pieces just passed (however) Quality control and go into the stores, and if you unpack them they are DOA. Sure, you would expect functional devices, but this can happen and happens to all eletronic manufacturers. Sometimes DOA devices are not to blame on the manufacturer where the device was working just fine when it was wrapped in parcels, but on the Transportation Company or even the retailer.

In my Company you can bet up to 5 out of 100 Laptops from HP are DOA devices that have to be replaced. One time we had 30 out 40 Workstations where the Mainboard fell of the case and damaged graphic Cards and CPUs. I even had devices which I bought at the local electronic market that where just doing nothing when I switched them on so I had to drive to the market again to swap them for a working device.

DOA is one thing - unpleasant enough, but at least you know it doesn't work. A mixer freezing on you solid during a performance is another thing. True, in a forum like this one you won't find testimonials of the 90% of users who never had a problem, so the bad experiences tend to be overrepresented. I, for one, wish I was one of those 90%. My M20d has done it twice - gone completely unresponsive during a show. In both instances I was able to restore functionality rebooting during the break (losing the anti-feedback settings of course).