Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

jtv 89f neck replacement

i can not stand this neck ... i'm not a shredder , so it's just a personal preference ... but this neck is too thick and way too wide for my tastes. ... peavey t-60 or wizard necks are what i was expecting...

this truly is the proverbial "boat oar" of line 6 lore.... but not because of the headstock ... but because of the neck itself...

you could land aircraft on this thing.

i had to buy one without trying one first because there just wasn't one within a hundred miles of me....

so i just went with the hype and pulled the trigger.....

but the caveat is that i really like the rest of the beast ... very excelent bomb bar and built in pyro effects.

so i just wonder what i can replace it with .. my self ... for a couple hundred and avoid the cost of having it done at the local shop , or a high dollar solution like Warmoth and such. 

i have been doing a little spec checking ... and i can't believe how much a few milimeters can make such a difference.

i never realized there was such a difference between shred guitars necks.

anybody tried this yet ?

modding variaxes is , after all , a long standing tradition ..  LOL !!

guess it's my turn to give it a whack.

I seem to remember a post a while back from someone who claimed to work for Warmoth, who said that they did not make anything that would fit the neck pocket of the 89...don't know for sure though. Warmoth is pretty much the gold standard for replacement necks, but who knows, u might find an "off the rack" solution somewhere else. Failing that, you might have to find yourself a boutique shop somewhere and have one made that will fit the 89's specs.

I seem to remember a post a while back from someone who claimed to work for Warmoth, who said that they did not make anything that would fit the neck pocket of the 89...don't know for sure though. Warmoth is pretty much the gold standard for replacement necks, but who knows, u might find an "off the rack" solution somewhere else. Failing that, you might have to find yourself a boutique shop somewhere and have one made that will fit the 89's specs.

yeah .. might come down to that in the end ... but until i can afford that solution ... i will keep researching and hope i get lucky .. 

or perhaps someone chimes in with a neck suggestion that i haven't run into ....

there are even some websites that are loaded with $200 hondos and other off brand knock offs that could possibly work .. 

thanx for droppin' by

rock on

I have a JTV 69S that came with the maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I like maple necks and first replaced the stock neck with a Fender USA '62 reissue maple neck I have had for years. It fit perfectly, without having to mess with re-intonation or string height. A friend sold me a beautiful old Boogie Body (I believe made by Warmoth) birdseye maple neck for $150. The neck is just stunning, so I swapped out the Boogie neck for '62 reissue and again, it fit the neck pocket beautifully. I needed to do a little messing with string height as the Boogie has as little different radius, but after some minor adjustments, it plays smoothly.

One note of caution, the JTV 69 has a tapered neck heel (the external side of the neck pocket), so when swapping out necks, be sure to use the longer screws in the two holes on the thicker side of the taper and the shorter screws on the thinner side. If you reverse the screws, you may end up with the end of a screw poking out of the fretboard. Also, be careful not to overtighten the neck screws as they can break.   

I have a JTV 69S that came with the maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I like maple necks and first replaced the stock neck with a Fender USA '62 reissue maple neck I have had for years. It fit perfectly, without having to mess with re-intonation or string height. A friend sold me a beautiful old Boogie Body (I believe made by Warmoth) birdseye maple neck for $150. The neck is just stunning, so I swapped out the Boogie neck for '62 reissue and again, it fit the neck pocket beautifully. I needed to do a little messing with string height as the Boogie has as little different radius, but after some minor adjustments, it plays smoothly.

One note of caution, the JTV 69 has a tapered neck heel (the external side of the neck pocket), so when swapping out necks, be sure to use the longer screws in the two holes on the thicker side of the taper and the shorter screws on the thinner side. If you reverse the screws, you may end up with the end of a screw poking out of the fretboard. Also, be careful not to overtighten the neck screws as they can break.   

yes , but mine is a JTV 89F .. totally different than your strat syle  JTV 69S .... you have the standard variax 22 fret neck/pocket that Line 6 has used since day one  in the  gen 1 models... 300 , 500 , 600, 700... all are replaceable /interchangeable with Fender necks ... 

unfortunately , the JTV 89F is a 24 fret neck with an offset triangular bolt pattern ..... similar to some ibanez .... but not exact mathes.

but the real problem isn't the  bolt pattern.... i could just plug and redrill those ..... but a 22 fret neck would be too short for a guitar  buit for a 24 fret neck.

the intonation would be off by the combined lenth of the last frets .. all the notes past the 12th fret would be out of pitch.

thanx for chiming in though...

cheers

It's worse than that.  All notes period will be out of pitch - except open.  You need to match the scale length of the neck with the rest of the guitar.

yup ... it will have to be 24 fret 25.5 scale board with a locknut notch .. and i prefer a maple board.

i have pretty much discovered that there isn't anything out there that fits the bill .... 

i will probably just wind up getting a 24 fret Kramer Srtiker hockey stick neck , and adapt it to fit....

it seems to be the closest to the thinness and narrowness that i need that has

that style headstock with a Floyd locknut 24 fret maple board..

if you hear of anything please give me a shout.

thanx

MosesGraphite.com makes a neck that will work with the 89; Dont know if they have a model with the locking nut.

CS-27/V8 : for Variax JTV-89 24 fret

Unfortunately, its 1) Not Maple, and 2) not cheap, and 3) might not fit the 89F.

I was looking into replacing the neck on my 89 without the trem but its close to $500 and I didnt hate the neck THAT much.

MosesGraphite.com makes a neck that will work with the 89; Dont know if they have a model with the locking nut.

CS-27/V8 : for Variax JTV-89 24 fret

Unfortunately, its 1) Not Maple, and 2) not cheap, and 3) might not fit the 89F.

I was looking into replacing the neck on my 89 without the trem but its close to $500 and I didnt hate the neck THAT much.

HA  !! .... i hate it about $200 worth .... until i find an affordable solution it'll just have to sit over there in the corner as a conversation piece...

and i don't think it's gonna like the conversation ... 

Just find a good luthier to modify the  existing neck to your liking.

If it is too big, it is easy to thin it out if you find a competant experience luthier / builder. Just don't give it to the first dork that says the can do it. They have to know what they are doing.

Just find a good luthier to modify the  existing neck to your liking.

If it is too big, it is easy to thin it out if you find a competant experience luthier / builder. Just don't give it to the first dork that says the can do it. They have to know what they are doing.

that would probably satisfy the thickness issue ...

but unfortunately , not the width.... which would involve grinding and dressing the sides of the neck and frets....

plus a a new narrower nut... a luthier would want way too many sacks of silver for me to afford .

i have dusted off my math skills and dicovered that all this neck trickery is smoke and mirrors .. 

my calculations have determined that on a JTV89F 24 fret 25 1/2 scale guitar , i can actually swap out a 24 fret 24 3/4 short scale on there. .. it will just turn the guitar into a 24 fret 24 3/4 scale guitar.

some Peavey Tracers  with Floyds are 24 fret  24 3/4 scale necks.

i love my PeaveyT60 neck  , and i have read that Tracers are very similar.

hope i'm right ... i could have a nice 80's Peavey maple fretboard hockey stick on my 89F .. and short scale too !!

my short fingers would be so grateful  ... a short scale 80's Variax superstrat ... 

geez i hope my calculations are right.

if they are , i will just bide my time until Craigslist or eBay give up the ghost..

i will report back on my progress ... just in case somebody out there is interested in the outcome.

You are sure about the intonation? I have bought Warmoth 24 3/4 "conversion necks" and I think there could be issues just putting a regular short scale neck on the guitar and being able to intonate it.

Warmoth sells the conversion necks for strats. That is what I bought for my strat. You may want to call them and see if they will share the trickery.

As far as getting a luthier to grind the sides and a narrower nut etc. I have a luthier that can do that so fast and precise it is crazy. He would have your neck done in 1-2 hours. If you get a short scale neck you will still need to have it set up, frets dressed, nut filed or replaced etc. It is never bolt it on and go. It will need the skills of a luthier. Warmoth will make you think it is that way when you buy the neck, but when you get it and then phone them they point out a page in the bowels of their site that says it will need professional work.

from my calculations and understanding , it seems guitar intonation is generally based on a sliding scale that anchors the 12th fret at the midpoint between the nut and the bridge .... and then some finer individual adjustments per string - dependant upon their relative string gauge and postion.

therefore on a 25-1/2" scale , the 12th fret is 12-3/4" from both the nut and the bridge .... right at the midpoint

likewise on a 24-3/4" scale the 12th fret is 12-3/8" from both the nut and the bridge.

so a Fender Jag 24" scale is of course  12" .. and a PRS 25" scale would be 12-1/2" .... etc, ...

the exact algorythms can be found here :  http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/tips/fretdist.htm

and here is an online interactive fret calculator : http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/fret.htm#mozTocId169477

therefore , i believe that as long as you can get the 12th fret halfway between the nut and the bridge .. it will work..

you can theoretically put any neck on any body regardless of the scale - as long as you adhere that basic 12th fret midpoint premise.

now that the theoretical part of the problem has been evaluated , what remains is the real world application of it ....

not all guitars have standard neck pocket to bridge spacing , nor is there a standard neck length where it butts into the neck cavity.

so that is where the real trickery is ... finding a replacement neck that butts into your neck pocket  - that will leave your 12th fret at the midpoint  ... or close enough to where you have enough tolerence for intonation adjustment .

some necks have the 22nd fret as an overhang .... some do not ... even some 24 fretters are actually 21's with a 3 fret overhang.

some styles butt straight in @ 21st or 22nd 23rd or 24th fret.

now on a hardtail ... you could just move the bridge a little bit one way or the other if necessary....

but alas , you ain't gonna move that Floyd Rose bridge .... so you really gotta find a neck that will bolt up pretty close to what you have.

and it's hard to tell just from photos just exactly where and how some necks that might qualify , will actually work ....

reearch ... thank you internet ... Google is my friend .

anyway , if i'm right i will return triumphant with a photo ...

if not ... i will still chime back in with my failure so that others may avoid my mistakes.'

@player99...

i realize that you  , and many others here , probably know most or all of the above diatribe already ...

but i thought i would pass it on so that others who ( like myself ) may not have been aware of some of this trickery.

even though the scale theory and algorythms are proven facts ... it still remains to be determined if i am applying the theory correctly.

• Upvote 1

As far as getting a luthier to grind the sides and a narrower nut etc. I have a luthier that can do that so fast and precise it is crazy. He would have your neck done in 1-2 hours. If you get a short scale neck you will still need to have it set up, frets dressed, nut filed or replaced etc. It is never bolt it on and go. It will need the skills of a luthier. Warmoth will make you think it is that way when you buy the neck, but when you get it and then phone them they point out a page in the bowels of their site that says it will need professional work.

the reason i'm avoiding a luthier is basically because i see this as my opportunity to get a hockey stick with a maple board..

to transform that JTV-89F into what i want would even require swapping out the rosewood board with a maple one...

on top of everything else ... and hockey stick neck would be next to impossible.... and if it was - he would charge me 3 grandchilden and 2 goats in addition to afore-mentioned numerous sacks of silver.

You are correct.  The 12th fret has to be midpoint between the nut and the bridge no matter how many frets you have on the neck.

thank you very much for that confirmation ...

this would be an expensive mistake if i was misinterpreting the info i was reading.

nice to have verification that i am at least thinking in the right direction.

cheers

I have had to modify a 24 fret from warmoth and glue in a spacer and round the edges using a tele neck pocket template and it worked just fine.  it was able to intonate to the 24th fret using a peterson strob tuner.  but I had to reshape the neck heel so that it was not so blocky and that was the largest time of the repair.  As far as the holes get it undrilled and prees in ito the pocket and mark for the new screw holes.

I have had to modify a 24 fret from warmoth and glue in a spacer and round the edges using a tele neck pocket template and it worked just fine.  it was able to intonate to the 24th fret using a peterson strob tuner.  but I had to reshape the neck heel so that it was not so blocky and that was the largest time of the repair.  As far as the holes get it undrilled and prees in ito the pocket and mark for the new screw holes.

was this on a variax ?

I bought an Ibanez RG120 neck to replace my JTV89 neck. Ibanez made necks with a standard heel (not AANJ) for a couple of years, they can be found on the RG120 and RG170. I believe this is the "Wizard" neck profile.

I did a test fitting and the Ibanez neck fits the 89 neck pocket but will require minor modification to the neck to get it to work properly, will get around to it someday - for now will use the 89 as is.

Many 24 fret 25.5 scale  necks would work but most will likely require minor modification.

I think Jackson 25.5 necks would be a good option if you don't mind the pointy headstocks (I hate them).

I bought an Ibanez RG120 neck to replace my JTV89 neck. Ibanez made necks with a standard heel (not AANJ) for a couple of years, they can be found on the RG120 and RG170. I believe this is the "Wizard" neck profile.

I did a test fitting and the Ibanez neck fits the 89 neck pocket but will require minor modification to the neck to get it to work properly, will get around to it someday - for now will use the 89 as is.

Many 24 fret 25.5 scale  necks would work but most will likely require minor modification.

I think Jackson 25.5 necks would be a good option if you don't mind the pointy headstocks (I hate them).

could you tell me what  AANJ stands for

they are thin enough ... but my problem with the ibby and jackson necks ( and pretty much all shredder necks ) is the width and the flattened "U" shape of the barrel .... as opposed to a "C" or flattenned "D" 

what is the barrel profile of that neck you are refering to 

could you tell me what  AANJ stands for

they are thin enough ... but my problem with the ibby and jackson necks ( and pretty much all shredder necks ) is the width and the flattened "U" shape of the barrel .... as opposed to a "C" or flattenned "D" 

what is the barrel profile of that neck you are refering to 

AANJ = All Access Neck Joint, on most Ibanez RG guitars the neck heel and the body are shaved away at the neck joint for improved access to higher frets. The JTV89 has a neck joint similar to the AANJ but the shape is different, I tried my RG550 neck on the 89 and the 89 body sticks out pretty far past where the Ibanez neck heel begins. I don't know how to describe it better than that buy if you compare the 89 and an AANJ Ibanez side by side it will be easy to see the difference. It would be possible to put an AANJ neck on the 89 body but it would look bad unless you shave away part of the body to match the Ibanez body, something I didn't want to do to my 89 so that I can put the JTV neck back on later if and when I decide to sell the guitar.

Jackson necks have a more traditional neck heel, as do certain year Ibanez RG120/170 and most other 24 fret 25.5 scale guitars.

If you want a shredder neck with a non-shredder profile I think you will need something custom built or heavily modified, tho there may be something out there I haven't seen. You could buy a bunch of different necks on ebay hoping something will work but in the long run it would probably be cheaper to have the original neck reshaped to meet your standards.

I am guessing that though you are not a shredder you bought the shredder model JTV because you wanted the Floyd Rose? If this is the case maybe it would be cheaper to trade in the 89FR for a JTV69 and have a Floyd installed, you have zillions of options when it comes to replacing the neck on a JTV69 but only a few on the 89.

The easiest and cheapest would be to transplant the Variax hardware to a guitar that you already have and like... :)

I have done two Variax transplants and they were not exactly easy... and the cost was much more than a simple neck swap (the Ibanez RG neck I bought for my JTV89 cost me $40)... but if you can't find a neck that you like that works with the 89 a transplant is definitely an option to consider.

@johnnyayyy .... 

yup , you guessed it right ... i just wanted a Variax with a Floyd rose .... 

i am not shredder , and have never owned any of those stylye guitars .

that's why i was completely surprized when i first grabbed that 1x4 that they call a neck.

i see what you mean about AAAJ ... tapered at the heel to match the specific body profile.

i am learning a lot in this thread ...

you and many others are being very helpful.

I have done two Variax transplants and they were not exactly easy... and the cost was much more than a simple neck swap (the Ibanez RG neck I bought for my JTV89 cost me $40)... but if you can't find a neck that you like that works with the 89 a transplant is definitely an option to consider.

:) I'll refrase  :D

If you already have a guitar which plays perfectly (for you) and you are loving it, it will be cheaper to do a Variax transplant. 

Not easier  :rolleyes:

can't see where a transplant could possibly be cheaper than a neck swap.

the luthier would have to router out new chambers and access ports and a access cavity for that dual input jack....

not to mention adding a floyd rose in there too.

there is no way a luthier is gonna do that for cheap ... and there isn't a real luthier anywhere within a 3 hour round trip drive from me anyway.

the local guy can't even thin down the neck .... parts changing , refretting or set-ups is just about all he can do ... 

i personally consider him useless , as we can all do that stuff ourselves .

lots of people can change parts on their car......

that does not make them a mechanic...

and my local luthier is nothing more than a glorified parts changing set-up guy (in IMHO}

and i bet a real lluthier who could do it .... ain't gonna do it for a mere $200 

because of my location and financial situation .... a neck swap is pretty much my only option.

can't see where a transplant could possibly be cheaper than a neck swap.

the luthier would have to router out new chambers and access ports and a access cavity for that dual input jack....

not to mention adding a floyd rose in there too.

there is no way a luthier is gonna do that for cheap ... and there isn't a real luthier anywhere within a 3 hour round trip drive from me anyway.

the local guy can't even thin down the neck .... parts changing , refretting or set-ups is just about all he can do ... 

i personally consider him useless , as we can all do that stuff ourselves .

lots of people can change parts on their car......

that does not make them a mechanic...

and my local luthier is nothing more than a glorified parts changing set-up guy (in IMHO}

and i bet a real lluthier who could do it .... ain't gonna do it for a mere $200 

because of my location and financial situation .... a neck swap is pretty much my only option.

Yeah, I did two transplants and the cheapest one cost me more than a neck swap, spent a couple hundred (had to buy a GraphTech bridge because the L6 bridge wouldn't work and bought some of that metallic paint for the control cavity, I think it was $26 for a tiny bottle) - if you were able to do all the work yourself and reuse all the L6 parts you could do it cheaply but that would limit you to guitars with the same type of bridge or require tons of work.

To have a luthier do a transplant for you is not cheap, I think Toasterdude will be along soon to testify to this fact.

I remember on the old forums a guy did a cost breakdown on his transplant of a Variax into an Epiphone 335 copy, and even with him doing everything himself he still spent well over $1000 by the time he was finished.

yes johnnyayyy i have to agree....

and besides .. i do like the body and the Graphtech Floyd hardware .. and to be honest those stock pickups are actually pretty good.

yup .. just a neck swap is what the doctor calls for.

i check ebay every day now for necks that might suit my purpose.

i really would like a 24 fret 24.75 scale Floyd ready ... non-shredder neck . .. slim , thin and fast .. but not a wide 1x4 plank .

i have only seen a few that quqlify .... and they seem to be attached to the whole guiter ... and out-priced for my budget.

but patience will win the day eventually .. i have seen just about everything show upon eBay at some point in time.

there is a decent $100 neck with my name on it out there somewhere ... i just know it.

• 9 years later...

Bob,

I am curious about the results of your neck replacement journey.

Where you able to find a suitable replacement?

I am in the same boat with my 89F. I dig the guitar, but hate the neck.

On 2/24/2024 at 10:29 AM, ziboric said:

Bob,

I am curious about the results of your neck replacement journey.

Where you able to find a suitable replacement?

I am in the same boat with my 89F. I dig the guitar, but hate the neck.

This is a nearly 10 year old thread... and according to his profile page, the last time that guy logged on was in 2018. Don't hold your breath for a reply.