Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nuno's tone on the Waiting for the Punchline album

alienux

I have always been a big Extreme fan, and still keep up with Nuno's solo releases (which are all filled with amazing guitar throughout).

When "Waiting for the Punchline" first came out, I liked it, but being younger and less appreciative of variety, I was disappointed in the guitar tone on the album because the distortion wasn't as saturated and heavy as previous albums.

Now that I'm older and I've gone back to listen to that album again, the tone(s) Nuno uses on this album are some of my all-time favorite guitar tones.

I'm still fairly new to the PODs (I previously used Vypyr's for modelling, which I still have and still love), so I'm still learning how to get specific tones with the PDHD500X with a specific end goal in mind.

I'd like to get a fairly accurate tone for the one in Cynical (I especially love how it sounds starting at 00:37):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxhAptpgcrI

And also Shadow Boxing (the volume is down at the beginning but is turned up around 00:23):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02jh11Vqb8

Any suggestions on where to start for these?

Ahhh Nuno, one of my influences of youth, never tried to replicate his sound, maybe because his skill is hard to replicate with it lol.

Funny you mention Nuno, I've had the track *get the funk out* stuck in my head for days lately !

Ahh...the good old days. When I was a kid I stood in line at a record store (remember those?) for hours to have Nuno sign my old Charvel Model 1, lol. Those are some great tunes...monster technique. His right hand was/is just as mindboggling as the left.

Yeah, he's an amazing player, and Extreme's latest album, Saudades de Rock is also very, very good. Nuno's solo stuff is some of my favorite music, especially Schizophonic and the 1st Mourning Widows album.

Does anyone at least have a good suggestion for an amp/cab/mic combo as a good starting point for the tones in the songs I linked to?

No but...

If I'm wanting to replicate a particular tone from a guitarist from a particular album, I will start

googling and try to find out exactly what gear was used for that album and start from there.

There's also a section on youtube by Premier Guitar called Rig Rundowns, which can be helpful

in unlocking key secrets on how certain artists build their tones, and can be found here.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13D7650D1E3388E9

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've started by trying with a couple of the Fender VIB models, and it seems like it's a start, but I'm not getting anywhere near what I would describe as a clinky (in a good way) sound in the clips I linked to above.

From what I've read, Nuno used a cranked 63 Fender Vibroverb for this particular album.

Took a listen to the first video and thought I had a similar sounding patch somewhere. Found it, tweaked it a little, and added a wah to FS8 (vetta q-filter combo). It might be close to what you're looking for. The guitar I used is a jem7v in the neck position. Was made originally on an hd500, just now tweaked on an hd500x. So it should also work on an hd500; just rename the extension from .5xe to h5e.

Sorry, I named the patch tms-cynical (tms for timmons), should have been nuno-cynical.

tms-cynical.zip

Edited by duncann
  • Upvote 1

Awesome, thanks!

I'll give it a download when I get home from work. I'll be playing (mostly) with an Ibanez S570 DXQM with a Paf Joe in the neck position and Norton in the bridge (and sometimes a Charvel Model 2 with a Screamin' Demon bridge).

I appreciate the help and I'll try it out tonight.

I have another guitar with a Paf Pro (probably very similar to a Paf Joe) in the neck (ibanez american master) and tried it out. It sounds similar to the evolution pickup. Maybe not quite as nasally, a little less mids, slightly more low end. And after just trying it again, I think it sounds a little better on the Paf Pro.

If there's not enough gain just turn up the drive on the overdrive effect to around 10-20. The patch also responds well when turning the guitar volume down. Another thing to mess around with is the res level for the cabinet. Can work wonders for adding a bit more aggressiveness.

• Upvote 1

I really like how the patch sounds. I did turn the cabinet res up to about 65% (haven't decided if I like it there or a little lower yet), but the patch sounds nice and full with just the right amount of drive, and it sounds great through the Paf Joe neck pickup.

Thanks for the help.