Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Playing Canned Music From Sd Card

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so if they are having the same experience as I am.  I recently went through some issues with my M20d regarding on of my SD cards in which the card would not be recognized in record mode.  I re-installed the firmware and was able to get my card working however one issue still persists and I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. 

If I load a bunch of mp3s onto an SD card to play music between sets.  The actual file loads in but there is also some sort of dummy file that loads in with the exact same file name except that it is preceded with a period then an underscore. And it is only on the M20d.  If I put the SD card back into my computer the dummy file doesn't show up.

So for example if I were to load on the file "I Saw Her Standing There.mp3" then put the SD Card into the M20d I would see the following when I go to the add to setlist menu on the M20d;

"I Saw Her Standing There.mp3"

"._I Saw Her Standing There.mp3"

The second file won't play, if I try to do an "add all" I get a message stating that the M20d couldn't play the file because the "add all" function is including all the dummy files.  This means I have to go through and individually add every other file from the list so that none of the dummy files get added.  It's very tedious and time consuming, especially if you want to load a quiet set for during dinner and then some dancing music for between sets.

adding to TheRealZap's observation - I have no problem doing what you describe using an SD card with mp3 files loaded from my Windows system. Ther is only one file per song, and the M20d Media Player plays them all successfully.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is good to know.  I think this leaves me with two choices, either see if there is some way to have the mac show me the hidden files so I can delete them from my card, or... load the files onto my PC at work and then back onto the SD card from the PC and see if there is some kind of wizardry I can perform during that process to leave those extended files behind.

the mac will recreate them everytime, so i'm not sure that's going to save you much grief.

the only way to avoid it on a mac is to format HFS+, which would solve the problem from mac to mac...

but unfortunately then the mixer wouldn't be able to use the card, since it requires fat32.

you can of course plug the card into a windows machine and delete the files...

(the mac would rebuild them next time you use it on the mac)

the better suggestion would be to modify the m20d firmware (or at least the media player part) to ignore files that start with ._

but clearly that's out of our hands :)

Well, here is something interesting, I wanted to try to affect all the files at once to try to give them titles that would put the songs in a certain order.  So I loaded them into itunes, right clicked on the first file gave it a track number and so on.  Then I dragged them directly from itunes to the USB drive.  Voila, I put the USB in the M20d and there were no ghost files only the actual mp3s.  I was able to do a load all and they all played perfectly.  I'm assuming it had nothing to do with me numbering the songs but more the accidental discovery of putting the files in itunes first and then dragging them onto the USB drive.  Hopefully this helps other mac users.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

hi, ive loaded song and put numbers in front as to this is the order i want them played in  i use windows 10.i use thumb drive it looks good.i put it in m20d there all out of order is there a trick to keeping them in order?