Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setlists, Banks, And Abcd Strategies

pfsmith0

I originally planned on using setlists for different, um, sets. And then I’d select different banks for different songs, 16 banks is plenty for my sets. Then, within a song, a can select ABCD patches for different parts of the song – clean, crunch, lead, and maybe a high-gain lead or something. Then I also have FX 1, 2, 3 & 4 when I need something special for each of the 4 ABCD sounds. Sounds like a plan.

I decided to save one of the 1,2,3,4 slots by relying on amp models for my distortion, like selecting between Soldano clean, crunch, and high gain. That way, I select ABCD for the type of distortion and use 1234 for delay, chorus, tremolo, and some other effect (compression, noise gate, reverb are always on – no need for a 1234 switch on those).

The problem I’m finding is it takes 15msec for a new ABCD patch to load in (I measured it). This is too long. I can’t always anticipate the timing to punch it in, or I don’t have that much time. The audio is muted during this 15msec and you hear it when I switch between, say, clean rhythm to scorching lead.

So, now I’m thinking about going back to 1-8 FX buttons and just bank selecting between songs. But then I’m stuck with a single amp model, which is workable I suppose by using more of the FX buttons to switch in different distortion FX, but not as flexible.

So my question for the group is: what is your strategy in using setlists, banks, ABCD patches, and 1234 switches. How do you use them? Are you stuck with a single amp model for a given song? How do you overcome the 15msec audio mute when switching ABCD patches? When do you use ABCD patches and when do you use 1234 FX switches?

Thanks for any insight you can provide me.

• Upvote 1

Good Topic and the way how to organize songs / presets / setlist is very relevant for those who are gigging ...

I make Cover Rock Music (1 band). Our program is currently approx. 50 songs. We play up to 5 sets per gig. Each set is around 10 songs. I use one set out of the eight of the POD HD per gigging set. Our programm may grow with time to 80-100. But we never play more than 5 sets per gig. So I will add new songs to the existing 5 gigging sets we will play in future.

I am using the ABCD-type mode and I use one complete bank for ONE song. I am using in average 2-3 presets per song. Rarely one or four and I change sometimes between amps within the song too. And I occupy all 4 FS with presets per song, so in case of an accidently wrong footswitch selection I do not fall into an empty NEW Tone presets trap.

I have encountered a slight delay when preset-switching as you have described (impressive to know that it is 15ms ...). But I honestly do not consider this as a real problem in a live situation to me: I have found my personal workaround in each song to that in a gigging situation and I do not anticipate that anybody in the audience actually realize any delay switches in the area of 15ms.

The other option using the FX 1-8 mode is not pratical for gigging to me personally.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I also use the ABCD approach and have 1234 for the occasional boost or switching of some effects that don't need to be on at all times.
Sometimes I use one of the switches for "solo mode" by assigning, for example, a delay and some boost or distortion to it. 
I don't use a bank for each song, in fact, many songs use just one patch that may or may not have anything switched during the song,

so, some of the banks/sounds are used on more than 20 songs, while some others, that cover more especific timbres, are just used in one.

I tried to set mine up like my analog board/tube amp rig which ends up with ABCD patches with 1234 effects.

My ABCD is setup:

A: Clean

B: Crunchy rhythm

C: High Gain

D: Specialty Delay

They are all same amp with different pedal setups for each.

I get a nice clean Blackface Fender tone, then add OD for Crunchy Rhythm, and layer a Classic Distortion on top for heavyn stuff and leads.

My 1234 is setup:

1: Delay on/off

2: Chorus on/off

3: OD on/off

4: Distortion on/off

I don't use more than 4 patches for a set. I only use one patch per song and turn OD/Dist./Chorus/Delay on/off during the song.

That gives me a clean, crunch, lead, and chorus, to chosse from during a song.

The posts on here show what a versitile animal the HD is, frankly there is no right or wrong way and clearly pfsmith you are using the POD to its max.

For gigging I tend to be minimalistic these days. It goes something like this..

A set list for each type of output and guitar. I just set this at the start of the gig depending on venue and gear.

Just like Bushman2 I treat the Pod like a traditional pedal board however I use the same amp on every patch however each patch has the amp gain increased so you have a clean amp on A and a really heavy crunch on D. Each patch has the same selection of typical pedals, Overdrive, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, Wah.

Each bank has a seperate amp set up as described however I only use one bank per night. I found that doing this reduced the amount of time you spent levelling - similar amps have similar characteristics no matter what the gain level.  The sonic differences are minimised for the auidence making it easyier for them to get used to a single sound - well thats my theory anyway.

Off enjoying a stompbox jag at the moment but will be back on the HD500 at some point!

When I was gigging it regularly, I would try to stay within a patch wherever possible.  I ran in FS5-8 mode so all footswitches were toggles,  I would change preset using the bank key then FS5-8 to select the preset.  I would use lots of switching to bring effects in and out and/or flip between two amp models within the preset.

This approach avoided any delays when presets reloaded... although for most of what I did the dropout did not matter and got buried in the band mix.

Sometimes I was compelled to use two presets because the changes I needed were too complicated to setup within a patch and that was a bit of a pain cause it required a double-stomp to change preset.  I wish Line 6 would provide more flexible toggling and latching within their pedal assigns as per ... er ... the obvious major competitors products.   Good assignment capabilities are really important to allow control in live situations.

However, I used 4CM so I had the added ability to switch real preamp channels using MIDI also and that opened up my options a lot.

I think there is lots of mileage in creating a few generic presets that cover most of your tonal bases and try and use those wherever possible, breaking out a special preset only where the song absolutely demands it.  Other forums sages suggested this and it makes a lot of sense to maintain some quality go-to patches to allow you to keep focus on your fingers rather than your feet!

There is no right or wrong at that point:

personal taste how to deal with a foot switch / pedals, range of music styles, number of songs, number of guitar players in the band, accuracy level to cover songs/sounds, the guitar rig in total, the addiction to play with the boys toys :-)

I have also started to use morphing of sounds/presets with the EXP-1 which is a pretty cool thing in some songs.

The use of a JTV (including Acoustic models) - HD500 - DT50/212 guitar rig as I do, tends to more usage of presets per song.

So I guess the more who chime in, the more valuable this thread is going to be.

By the way: May be this is a helpful for the one or another: I have marked the foot switches I am going to use during a song with white cellotape, because I hit sometimes the TAP or the Down/Up-bank foot switch. During a song I am mainly using the PS-1 to PS-4 foot switches:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33377898/POD%20HD500.JPG

So I guess the more who chime in, the more valuable this thread is going to be.

@pfsmith

do you perform alone or with band? Where have you remarked this 15 ms, at home or in a live performance?

In a band: who will hear this short interrupt in the audience? Yourself will have more delay in switching from one sound to another  :D

15 ms is a winkle of an eye, I can't believe that anybody will notice this!

Organizing patches:

I play also in a cover-band. Roundabout 150 song in our programm. I organize one song in one patch. This means a lot of work. Sometimes with dual amp patches, sometimes by multiple action that is assigned to one switch, to the expression pedals or the knobs of my Variax. for clean/hi gain amp I normally use panner and a dual amp setup. I often alter at the same time quite a lot of parameter in different fx. E. g. LRB Night Owls: I use the Threadplate with a screamer in front, harmonizer, delay and reverb.

For muffled almost clean sound I reduce drive of the screamer and the threadplate also bass of the threadplate to 0, the same I do with the mix of the harmonizer (additional it will be switched by FS4). I raise at same time the mid, treble an presence of amp. All done be the volume knob of the Variax. This will give a nice tack-ta-tack-ta-tack sound.

For the dual voiced intro and interlude I push the volume knob and the drive of screamer and threadplate, give more body and delay to the lead sound and switch on the harmonizer. To come back quickly to the rhythm sound I turn the volume knob to 0 get back a brilliant sound with attack and at the same time mix down the harmonizer until I switch 'em of. Solo will be done without harmonizer and I can change the color of sound additional by the pups.

Only a little example what can be done. Surely it takes a lot of time to dial in the sound, but not false step on a wrong sound or effect. Less use of slots and banks.

My sounds are managed by database. Alphabetical list of Songs and sound banks/slots or a programm for the evening with the order of the sets an songs and the corresponding patches. This is done with an office-software.

I use only one set list in the HD500 for the cover-band and even have free memory slots  B)

Addendum: I go straight from the HD500 to the p.a.

Thanks for the responses so far. I play direct into a PA in a band setting. I don't know if anyone else in the band (or audience) hears the 15msec mute but I sure do! It's not the same as a 15msec delay (which my foot tapping can easily cause) because of the mute. That's the problem. Not delay.

It sounds like most of you live with the mute and work around it. Said another way, the flexibility that ABCD patches give you far outweights the hassle of mitigating the effects of the mute. Maybe I just have to try harder but, man, it's really annoying and takes away from "the moment".

Hi all - I've experimented with a lot of different approaches. Here's what I'm doing currently - and I'm using ABCD Mode. Amp is a DT25. Master is at about 50%, sometimes a bit lower.

I generally have 3 main amp sounds that fit most of what I do. A Twin vibe, Dr. Z vibe and a Plexi vibe. My main guitars are a Strat, a PRS McCarty hollowbody, and I use a JTV69 for all my alt tuning stuff.

FX that are always on are a Spring Reverb and Tube Compressor - both very subtle. For the Plexi modes I don't use the Tube Compressor, but it really helps me get enough level on my cleaner sounds with no breakup.

The top row is always:

FS1 - subtle Dynamic Delay
FS2 - Ping Pong Delay - longer delay time, wetter mix
FS3 - Bias Tremelo
FS4 - Dimension chorus

Bank One is set for the Strat

FS5 - Twin Clean
FS6 - Twin Crunch (same preset as above, with a Tube Screamer engaged for just a bit of edge)
FS7 - Twin Solo (same as Twin Clean, but with a Tube Driver engaged for Solo
FS8 - Muted/Blank

Bank 2 is set for the Strat, with a Dr. Z amp - everything else is the same.
Bank 3 is set for the Strat, with a Super Lead 100 Plexi Brt amp - everything else is the same

Bank 4 is set for my PRS with the Twin
Bank 5 is set for the PRS with the Dr. Z
Bank 6 is set for the PRS with the Plexi

Whew. Sounds complicated, but I basically have a Bank for each guitar, with a Twin. Dr. Z, or Plexi. When I use the JTV I usually use the Banks for the Strat, because the output of the JTV is pretty hot.

I don't know if anyone else in the band (or audience) hears the 15msec mute but I sure do!

Modelling means, that the cpu inside of the hd500 had you load all data of the models in a patch in the memory. This will always cause latency period. What's IMO more bad, changing the sound will cut reverb and delay. Hence I try do do all with one patch and the hd500 gives me much more possibilty than all boards I used before.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hi anyone know, why is it my pod hd 500 is only showing Setlist 1 until Setlist 6? I cant find the "Best of HD"  "User 1 unti USer 3" on my pod hd 500. The only thing i can see is all written as Setlist 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Setlist 6. Anyone can advice why is this happening? Is this been replaced?

The setlists are installed with the firmware. You will need to update/reinstall the firmware to get them back.

Before reinstalling, make sure you back up any presets/setlist you wish to restore later. During installation, when prompted, choose to replace your existing presets. After installation be sure to reset the global parameters and recalibrate the pedal.

Is your HD firmware up to date....I was noticing more patch lag on the original FW than I do now, but it is still present...if you don't want to spend over $1000 on a modeler, the only one I've seen with no noticeable lag is the Zoom stuff. Boss stuff "feels" like it does this, but it basically just holds a half-second of audio till the patch is loaded, and it has spillover with ambience effects. Try out an RP-series digitech pedal if you want to hear what bad latency sounds like...

Yes there is an extremely slight muted pause.  As the only guitar player in a Black Sabbath Tribute band, it can stand out when a differant patch is loaded.  Especially when switching from a semi-clean tone to high-gain with large volume changes.

I've never had a guitar effects unit NOT have some micro muted delay during patch switching and have become used to this over the years.  I just anticpate it and hit the pedal just before hitting the strings.

I use a minimalist approach (so far). 

For gigging I generally use one bank set up like this:

A-Recto

B-Marshall

C-AC30

D-Acoustic

Each patch has various effects (chorus/distortions/delay, etc.) controlled by FS1-FS4.  I don't have time (nor the patience, at this point) to fiddle around trying to get an exact replica tone for each of the 50 or so songs that we play.  I can make all of our cover songs fit into one of these patches.

Regarding the "delay" when hitting a footswitch, I've noticed it, but deal with it by stomping at an opportune moment (during a rest or at the end of a measure, etc.).  With the rest of the band playing on I'm relying on the fact that most (all?) of the audience won't hear my 15ms of silence. 

Be sure if you turn on an effect with any switch FS1 - 4 that you turn it off with the same switch.  Otherwise, if you turn it off by reselecting the original patch switch ABCD, there will be a delay as the patch in the bank is reloaded.  ~Regards

Opinions Please

I am on my second HD. Had the 500 and "upgraded" to the X recently.   I use the ABCD/1234 approach BUTdue to our WIDE repertoire I require to use large swings in amps and tones. I play mostly at the same large venue with a permanent PA install (Midas console c/w EAW mains and IEM's. With a large tonal palette it is difficult for the engineer to keep me "in the mix".

My question is this ~

Would it be better to use the KISS principle and use one or two "amp models" to help the engineer 

OR

Continue with the large swings ?

Thanks

Would it be better.....

Better for whom?

- for the sound guy? definitely better to KISS

- for you and your band? depends on how 'close' you want your sound to be to the original for rehearsals and onstage monitoring

- for the audience? depends on how good (although troublesome) a job the sound guy is doing. If he's keeping up with the switching OK then the audience is probably also hearing a sound that is 'close' to the original, and very recognizable. If you're getting lost in the mix regularly then the audience experience is poorer than it would be with the KISS approach.

... so who do you want to make things 'better' for?

Better for whom?

- for the sound guy? definitely better to KISS

- for you and your band? depends on how 'close' you want your sound to be to the original for rehearsals and onstage monitoring

- for the audience? depends on how good (although troublesome) a job the sound guy is doing. If he's keeping up with the switching OK then the audience is probably also hearing a sound that is 'close' to the original, and very recognizable. If you're getting lost in the mix regularly then the audience experience is poorer than it would be with the KISS approach.

... so who do you want to make things 'better' for?

Personally ...  AUDIENCE

Geekydaddy - if I'm interpreting your issue correctly I would continue to use the variety of amps and patches but work on leveling your volumes across the patches.

In other words, try to make all your clean patches the same volume no matter what amp you're using. Do the same for your crunch patches, heavy crunch patches, and gain patches. I use my ears and try to get as close as possible. This would then be good for the crowd, the sound guy, and your band.

• Upvote 1

@pfsmith

do you perform alone or with band? Where have you remarked this 15 ms, at home or in a live performance?

In a band: who will hear this short interrupt in the audience? Yourself will have more delay in switching from one sound to another  :D

15 ms is a winkle of an eye, I can't believe that anybody will notice this!

Organizing patches:

I play also in a cover-band. Roundabout 150 song in our programm. I organize one song in one patch. This means a lot of work. Sometimes with dual amp patches, sometimes by multiple action that is assigned to one switch, to the expression pedals or the knobs of my Variax. for clean/hi gain amp I normally use panner and a dual amp setup. I often alter at the same time quite a lot of parameter in different fx. E. g. LRB Night Owls: I use the Threadplate with a screamer in front, harmonizer, delay and reverb.

For muffled almost clean sound I reduce drive of the screamer and the threadplate also bass of the threadplate to 0, the same I do with the mix of the harmonizer (additional it will be switched by FS4). I raise at same time the mid, treble an presence of amp. All done be the volume knob of the Variax. This will give a nice tack-ta-tack-ta-tack sound.

For the dual voiced intro and interlude I push the volume knob and the drive of screamer and threadplate, give more body and delay to the lead sound and switch on the harmonizer. To come back quickly to the rhythm sound I turn the volume knob to 0 get back a brilliant sound with attack and at the same time mix down the harmonizer until I switch 'em of. Solo will be done without harmonizer and I can change the color of sound additional by the pups.

Only a little example what can be done. Surely it takes a lot of time to dial in the sound, but not false step on a wrong sound or effect. Less use of slots and banks.

My sounds are managed by database. Alphabetical list of Songs and sound banks/slots or a programm for the evening with the order of the sets an songs and the corresponding patches. This is done with an office-software.

I use only one set list in the HD500 for the cover-band and even have free memory slots  B)

Addendum: I go straight from the HD500 to the p.a.

Nice! Any chance you would share with me this patch you made?

Thanks,

-S

I do not organize my patches.  They get put in slots as they are created.  The reason for this......I use an app for the iPad called set list maker.  http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/main/home.html it allows you to catalog your songs and then put them into set lists.  One of the attributes of the Song is a midi command that you can create that will select the patch you want on your pod.

So, with my iPad in place.  When ever I touch the song in the setlist it selects the patch.  So,  I have ultimate flexibility.

• Upvote 2

I've always used KISS. I have a clean Marshall, an acoustic emulator with pedal in fx loop, a light OD based on Plexi and a Treadplate to cover heavier tunes. There's chorus, compressor, wah, tremolo, delay etc in there too.

In my 20+ years of playing live with numerous different rigs, I've never had an audience member come up and say "You guys kicked lollipop, but your guitar tone didn't sound like the original recording by 'X'". KISS

I'm a fairly new Line 6 user.  Concerning Setlists and presets, why isn't there a mode where perhaps you can choose the "setlist" and then if you hit "bank up" it automatically goes the the next song in the list?  When I first started using this, I expected it to work that way and I really don't see why that shouldn't be the default or at least an option.  If you can organize and order the songs/patches ahead of time, who wouldn't put it in true setlist order to where you just cycle through the songs?  This would be especially useful for the people using different patches for each song.  (Even if I'm using the same patch, I make a separate preset so I can just keep cycling through and know where I am in the set.  I don't use printed setlists).  I see lots of issues people wish Line 6 would fix in the updates, but this one is number 1 for me! 

I have two different uses for my unit.  1 is a church worship service, usually 5 songs a Sunday.  My other current use is a solo covers show.  Mostly acoustic, but I do electric on several songs.  I run both my acoustic and electric into the Pod.  Both of these applications utilize just one patch per song.  In my solo show, I use one base sound and rarely turn on or off any effects since I'm singing at the same time.  In church, I use a clean amp and a Tube Screamer for leads or overdrive.  HOWEVER, if I ever wanted to use this in a cover band (or original band), I would probably want to use dual amps.  I really like the clean sound of the Dr. Z and the overdriven Rectifier.  I would like to use a toggle switch to switch between amp sounds, but as the original poster mentioned, there is a short period of time between the switching of amps, even when on the same preset/patch.  This really is too bad.  I thought it was really cool to have the preset default to a Dr. Z with Tube Screamer, then be able to remove the TS for ultra clean or kick it into high gain with the Recto, but that absence of sound for those few milliseconds does not sound cool.  Here's another user who's wondering if that can be eliminated. 

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are talking about assigning patches - not FX - to the footswitches.

You don't need to assign them; you need to use FS Mode ABCD (see Setup menu page 1). By doing this, FS5 through FS8 (which are also labelled A/B/C/D) are assigned to access presets A through D in the current bank of presets. For instance, having selected a preset in Bank 1, the footswitches will move you among presets 1A through 1D.

This is an interesting thread.

I have my HD500X organized like my old Korg AX300G from 1999:

Bank 1, my basic sounds. I'm here most of the night.

A. Clean, no amp, just a little delay. I try to match the volumes of all my patches to this one.

B. Clean but louder and brighter.

C. Gibtone crunch, a nice bluesy tone I use a lot.

D. Distorted. I just loaded a Van Halen tone I adapted from CustomTones here.

Bank 2, features various effects.

A. Rotary drum.

B. Bias tremolo, with the expression pedal determining the depth of the trem.

C. Phaser.

D. Univibe. (I never had one of these, and I like it a lot.

Then I have a bunch of sounds, almost all homemade, for various songs or sounds.

I play a couple of songs that have distinct sections and I create two adjoining patches for those, but mostly I play a single patch per song.

As for effects, I follow a standard pattern:

1. A clean boost or distortion for leads.

2. A mod effect, often a chorus (I like Dimension set on switch 1).

3. The delay, or sometimes a second mod.

4. Switches on whatever is on the Expression pedal, usually a wah.

I never use the second expression pedal setting because I'm not smart enough to remember what it would be, and I control volume in other ways instead of a volume pedal.

I loves me some Pod!!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The general procedure and button-pushing sequence is outlined in the manual in the sections on creating and saving tones. The overall approach is much the same as you would do with a series of analog pedals and guitar amps. Select your amp and make desired adjustments to the knobs. Then select desired FX boxes and place them in the order you want. Adjust their parameters as desired.

You'll find the manual in the Product Manuals link under the Support tab at the top of this page.

I set up patches for different parts of each song and assign them to the ABCD switches in each bank.  I try to keep each bank to one or two songs, so I don't have to change banks within a song.  If there are specific variations of one of the patches required in a particular song, I'll assign it to one of the FX stomp controllers.

As far as set list goes, I use one (or two) for a gig.  I synch the patches in using HD edit in the right order for the gig which keeps the switching simple between and within songs,  I keep a 'working' copy of all my patches in other setlists in case I want to make some tweaks without affecting my gig set, One set list is kept for work in progress for new patches.

Works really well, especially with the DT25 head and JTV.

• 11 months later...

I'm with Stumblinman- I've never had complaints about the wrong tone on whatever tune. Though I once had a sound man fall in love with me when I changed from a Marshall half stack, and a full 16 Space rack-to a POD! Im kinda new school/old school. New school-I use a POD HD500 direct into the PA. Old school- in that I look at the POD as a pedalboard with an amp. I usually stay with one or two amps depending on the gig. My "pedalboard" looks like fs1- compressor, 2-modulation 3-delay 4-reverb 5-overdrive 6-distortion 7-special fx/pitch 8-boost. I usually set the pedal to control amp volume instead of using a slot for a volume Pedal. I have a second pedal that is usually set to bring reverb and delay down some if needed. Now, if I need a bunch of different fx, I'll use another Patch but I try to keep them on the same location ie; chorus, flanger, phaser would be at fs2. Sometimes the pedal that's on the POD will switch to wah or whammy. Also, if I have two delays needed, I'll turn one off and the other on with fs3.

Heres the thing guys; YOU are probably the only one that's hearing most of the differences in a lot of the tones. A good amp tone and even volumes between are patches are the things that make the biggest difference IMHO. peace

I was using ABCD before, but I just switched over to FS5-8.  My reason for doing this was for better MIDI implementation.  I have a Whammy 5 in my FX loop. Set up like so:

FS1- FX loop on/off

FS2- Special effect block on/of(This changes with each patch, like turning on a boost comp or EQ, or Pitch glide

FS3- Whammy bypass

FS4- Tap delay on/off

FS5- Whammy octave up/down blend

FS6- Whammy bend octave up

FS7- Whammy bend down 2 semitones

FS8- Whammy shallow detune

These settings are universal across all of my regular patches.  

As for my patch settings, they are as follows(Electric violin is my instrument):

1A- clean, reverse echo blend in w/ exp1

1B- clean, multi-delay-based chorus blend in w/ exp1

1C- clean, delay wash blended in w/exp1

1D- clean, sitar effect blend in w/ exp1 and whammy octave up blend

2A- lead(gibtone wah)

2B- cello

2C- glitch squarewave tremolo, exp1 blend between trem rates

2D- clean, synth square pattern trem blended in w/ exp1

I usually set up a bank per song (some songs I can get away with just using one or two patches). My band plays mostly cover tunes, about 30 or 40 songs. I get a real kick out of nailing the sound of different artists all night long (I try to duplicate the signal chain as close as possible and load in the the tap tempo to match each tune). I think if I could be happy with the sound of one amp and eight FX pedals all night, I think I probably would have bought something else, honestly. Part of the thrill for me is being able to nail the tones in The Who's 'Baba O'Riley' and then be able to play Five Finger Death Punch's version of 'Bad Company'.It is a pain changing patches all night, but if I just wanted the HD500x to sound like a Marshall amp all night, then why wouldn't I just buy a Marshall to begin with? But, everybody's different.    

• Upvote 2

I recently switched form FS1-FS8 to the ABCD method. So far I think I'm happier with my new setup. I liked to think of the POD in old school way of an Amp (modelled in this case) and effects pedals. The problem I had with this was just the same problems I've had in the old days. A good high gain amp doesn't always sound very good clean. Modern amps more or less solve this by have channel but the POD doesn't have channel switch for the ones where it does model the different pre-amp channels (like the Solo100). So I looked at what some the Pros do with their setups where they use multiple amps and started thinking more along those lines of "Scenes". I decided I didn't want wild swings in the tone between one song and hte next but I certinally don't mind heavy shift from one "Set" to the next being I will generally have break inbetween them. So my new setup is I use A=Clean B=Crunch C=Heavy D=Lead but all using the same exact amp model and same effects pedal just different knob turns for each. I might move up to the next slot during the next set to say more from a ligther Country or Blues tone into Classic Rock or heavyer stuff as my band tends to start our nights with lighter material and get heavier as the night progresses.  So far so good. I keep a couple of effects assisgend to FS1-FS4 so I can make quick change without a patch change if I need say a bit more bite on clean channell. The slight delay loading patches doesn't bother me. Even the old tube amps had a slight delay change channels too, just learned to adjust to it. 

I did the same thing.  I find that the reality is I usually only need to turn on and off a couple of effects in any given patch.  Things like Noise Gate, Compression, and even Reverb tend to stay on always so no real need for a FS assigned.  I try to keep distortion to FS1, Mods to FS2, Delays to FS3 and Reverb to FS4.  I also use the two expression pedals a lot.  I can assign mix on certain effects to the pedal to turn them on or off in groups just with the exp pedal or change the delay from short to long, stuff like that.  I can take the amp from clean to dirty with a pedal and compensate with channel volume and tone stack too.  Gives a huge range of options within a single patch and without a ton of tap dancing.

I am thinking of adding a Zoom MS70 CDR to the board in the FX loop.  I should be able to offload the delay/chorus/reverb and free up DSP for dual amp/cabs and other DSP heavy effects.  Just wish it had midi included.  Not real impressed with the POD chorus and there are a lot of options with this pedal.  Anybody else have experience with this it?