Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB port

Mikey333

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping for midi support, I can plug my zoom pedal to use for recording but it crashes amplitube sometimes and my irig hd works well but I still need an external speaker setup for monitoring. Being able to use my my new amplifi as a guitar input to my pc while using the amps speakers as a monitor at the same time would be amazing.

midi support has nothing to do with audio or the type of recording you mention...

I think you either mis-typed that or misunderstand what midi is.

I was hoping for midi support, I can plug my zoom pedal to use for recording but it crashes amplitube sometimes and my irig hd works well but I still need an external speaker setup for monitoring. Being able to use my my new amplifi as a guitar input to my pc while using the amps speakers as a monitor at the same time would be amazing.

midi support has nothing to do with audio or the type of recording you mention...

Got'cha in any case I want to be able to use it as computer interface to connect my guitar and monitor my recording

Are you sure though? While I'm handy with a computer and a guitar I'm fairly amateur when it comes to music tech. I've been reading up on midi though and I really don't feel like referring to music instrument digital interface as a connection for an instrument to a computer is wrong. That's what it's name implies and what it does. 

Although there is a certain degree of logic in your assumption...

midi is digital information, and what you are wanting to record is audio information.

your thinking is fine... but they aren't the same.

Are you sure though? While I'm handy with a computer and a guitar I'm fairly amateur when it comes to music tech. I've been reading up on midi though and I really don't feel like referring to music instrument digital interface as a connection for an instrument to a computer is wrong. That's what it's name implies and what it does. 

.. I really don't feel like referring to music instrument digital interface as a connection for an instrument to a computer is wrong.....

The word 'interface' has two meanings in this context. MIDI defines a software interface; it's a protocol defining the communications between a musical instrument and a computer. The communications involve digital information in the form of clearly defined commands and parameters; there is no audio information in MIDI.

The other meaning of interface involves the physical / hardware connection between a musical instrument and a computer. These connections and interfaces can transmit audio information. That is not MIDI.

• 1 month later...

Think of MIDI as hardware commands, setting the volume, note duration, actual note command etc to a Keyboard/Drum Machine/MIDI Device where as the interface definition you are trying to apply is the transfer of pure Audio information between a PC and Musical Instrument or audio source.

At this point it is not known.

All all they are saying ATM is the USB port is for future use.

If they end up adding recording capability, (making it a USB audio interface), I think MIDI functionality would be logical.

But at this point, that is all speculation.

What's taking so long to activate Amplifi's USB port? The $100 "Fender Mustang I" amp has a very functional USB port -- for recording and accessing its Fender Fuse editing software -- so we know it's doable. I hope Line 6 gets us Mustang-like usb soon. It just makes marketing sense to provide it as soon as possible -- a usb recording interface would be a huge plus to prospective buyers.

• 2 years later...

Google Translated:

2016 AND YET useless? They ARE WAITING TO BE ABLE TO BE USED AS INTERFACE .... ?? 
I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT LINE 6 NOT ALLOW RECORDING WITH USB PORT OF SUCH A "COMPLETE" AMPLIFY 
WHEN you WILL USE THIS PORT?

Yes, you can use the port to record via USB and update firmware.

Sí, se puede utilizar el puerto para grabar a través de USB y actualizar el firmware.

• 1 year later...