Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 volime boost for solo

roddo5169

Hi!

can someone please tell me step by step how I can get "one click" instant boost for my solos? I know that I could create a louder patch but that still doest allow me to change fast enough.

Is there an "effect" that I could put in line to rasie to volumr for my solo to cut thru?

Pardon my learing :)

Try one of foll:

a. Insert an FX loop in ur chain (place it at the end of the chain if u want a plain clean boost, or in front of an amp or dist pedal to drive them harder if u want more gain). Use short jumper cable 2 connect the FX loop out to the FX loop in. Set the FX loop return at taste (eg +4dB). Assign the FX loop to a switch as (clean) boost 4 solos. . If stereo is a must, use appropriate jumper.

b. Use a Studio eq in ur chain (c abv regarding placing). Set gain at taste (eg +4db).

c. Assign EXP-1/2 to amp CH VOL (min = rythm, max=solo).

I assign one of the foot switches so it kicks in a studio EQ after the amp with +5db boost and a tube screamer before the amp for a little extra drive. If you don't want the drive you can leave out the screamer for a clean boost. 

I set up most patches like I do with my tube amps. Amp with very light gain/ compressor pedal/tube drive and then a fuzz or other overdrive all assigned to the top row of foot switches. I like to have three levels of gain in each of my patches so I can boost for solos at any time.Also roll back the vol. control on the guitar a bit so you have headroom any time you need it. This and all the above approaches will work well.Lot's of boosting options on the HD500.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

I set up most patches like I do with my tube amps. Amp with very light gain/ compressor pedal/tube drive and then a fuzz or other overdrive all assigned to the top row of foot switches. I like to have three levels of gain in each of my patches so I can boost for solos at any time.Also roll back the vol. control on the guitar a bit so you have headroom any time you need it. This and all the above approaches will work well.Lot's of boosting options on the HD500.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Toby,

Are you using the HD500 in conjunction with your GR-55?

For me I use an OCD Overdrive pedal in my fx loop on the pod and use it as my boost and it does miraculous things to ever amp model on my hd500. But before that I accomplished it by gain staging as the above poster mentioned. I prefer to use the Tube Driver instead of the Screamer. But u have to make sure each stage sounds good individually. If you build a house on a Crappy foundation it's gonna crumble type thing Grasshopper.

I want to use my old Tube Works Tube Driver in the loop of my HD500 but may use my OCD instead.The Tube Driver I have is the one with 3 band e.q. and works really well with my Marshall JCM800 combo.But, it is very old and very valuable to me for recording.

The OCD is a beautiful pedal in so many ways. I can't think of too many I've had or have that I have used in the past year I've had it. It has a wonderful clean boost and I love the crunch it can get when u add some dirt. Seeing as I use mine for a clean boost I run it on 18v (battery+9v plug) for max headroom in the pedal way to go Fulltone. I just built a Fuzz face that sounds nice thru the loop as well. I also like to use it traditionally when I have my DT50 2x12 on standalone.

Virtually all my patches use the pedal to go from rhythm to lead tone and level. Sometimes I have different amps. Sometimes the same amp, but with a pedal on one channel and none on the other. And some just boost gain on a particular amp.

I also have the pedal changing many other settings, from the amp tones to the compression settings, to the ambience and modulation. Also, I am able, with some rather complex settings, to get in between tones, such as a cleaner, but still loud sound just before the full distortion at the end of the sweep.

I have MANY hours of tweaking invested in these patches for my main two guitars, but I'm a working musician and it's well worth the effort, because I sing and I can't be always looking down at the buttons. Also, I can instantly rip out a lead line just putting the pedal to the metal. Frankly, I don't think I could,ever,go back to real amps, with all the versatility and control I would lose.