Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Pro - any workarounds for delay when changing patches?

ChristopherDuncan

I've just started working in earnest with my HD and I'd been assuming that I could change patches in the middle of a song, e.g. verse / chorus / solo / verse / chorus. However, there's a signficant delay when switching patches, and of course you can't really afford to drop a note or chord in the middle of a song while the patch changes.

I saw someone comment on this in a different thread so I figure it's a well known issue. With that in mind, how do you guys handle things when you want to switch patches several times in the middle of a song?

I try to change patches at a moment when my guitar does not need to ring out. I will create a brief pause during the phrasing (less than half a second is required), and mute the strings while changing, so that the brief lag is not noticeable. Avoid changing patches while actually strumming / picking, and avoid using heavy reverb or lengthy delay (or switch them off beforehand) on patches where you need to switch. I find that's all that's required.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, man.

I think for the most part I can just change patches before each song. If I need in-song voodoo, I suspect I'll just have to have a patch with all the components I need and turn them on / off / etc. via FS & controllers. I played around with that concept tongith and hit the DSP wall more than a few times, but I think the concept has legs.

Man, I'm with you on the delay. It's intolerable in the middle of a song. I only switch patches between songs. I don't use the 4 footswitches to switch patches but to switch 4 more FX blocks. That is, I don't use the ABCD configuration but the FS5-FS8 configuration. It somewhat limits the variety of sounds you can get within a song but all the delay is gone. I can still get good clean, crunch, and lead sounds. With 8 blocks I can get a wide variety of sounds without switching patches.

I use a HD500x with a JTV59 and 89F in an original Prog Band and I actually change patches and guitar emulations two or 3 times within a song.  Prior to the latest update there was and issue with popping noise during patch changes but I never noticed an appreciable lag when changing patches and some of the cues have to be spot on changes between clean fender to distorted Les Paul.

I've never had a problem switching patches within a song.  Although I'm used to timing it just right for the few ms delay between one patch and another.  I've never had anything, other than analogue pedals, that didn't have a delay.  I thought the PODHD was actually pretty good about this.  I don't use a lot of reverb of delay effects so maybe that effects it more.

Did you make sure your firmware is updated? There was a much longer delay on the earlier firmware versions. Honestly, compared to Digitech, the HD500 switches at lightning speed...the only one that is faster is Zoom, and the models are not that great on their stuff, BOSS always delay spillover....I change patches at the drop of a hat all the time, but I play in a loud lollipop metal band where a 2ms hiccup would never even be noticed.

I've got all firmware and software updated to latest and greatest. For my needs, the delay is too conspicuous to make changing in the middle of a song usable, so I just set my songs up with the assumption that any tonal changes need to be done via FX and controller changes. It is what it is.

My previous amp was a Roctron Voodu Valve, and I could play sixteenth note runs, switch patches and never miss a beat. But that's an analog amp. Digital is a different class of creature, bringing much more power and a different set of limitations. It's not useful to get hung up on how you think a piece of technology should behave, only to understand the art of the possible and work from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been gigging my POD for sometime now.  At one point I did build individual patches for each song, but I would never build *multiple*patches for each song.  I would simply setup a rythm sound - using multiple pedals mapped to one footswitch, and then do the same for lead.  Set them all to use the same footswitch, so that stepping on "lead" turns off "rythm" and vice-versa.  If I needed additional voicing I would simply add "optional" pedals to that patch.

I no longer do any of this now though.  It was simply too high maintenance, and frankly very, very OCD. 

I run dual path patches, using a DT Amp means I only use the 'pre' models so I keep the DSP a little lower. I'd probably be even better off with a HD500X but it isn't an issue really. Using a volume pedal set to zero in one of the paths allows me to toggle between Path A & Path B seamlessly; each with a separate amp and effects. I do avoid spring reverbs and tape delays on dual path patches but as the rhythm guitarist/singer I don't need such complex effects on basic tones. I have the odd patch set up for the more specific tones but there's only a few of them.

Hi- I've had good luck "lining up" patches for a song. In other words-if I'm going to use several different patches in 1 song- I put them in order in the set list. Seems like when i do that, it takes a much shorter change time because it does not have to "search" as long for the next patch.  As long as they are "grouped" together, you don't have to "repeat" any patches- say verse-chorus-verse-bridge-verse-chorus, you just need the 3 patches & you can "bounce" between them. See if that helps.

I've been gigging my POD for sometime now.  At one point I did build individual patches for each song, but I would never build *multiple*patches for each song.  I would simply setup a rythm sound - using multiple pedals mapped to one footswitch, and then do the same for lead.  Set them all to use the same footswitch, so that stepping on "lead" turns off "rythm" and vice-versa.  If I needed additional voicing I would simply add "optional" pedals to that patch.

I no longer do any of this now though.  It was simply too high maintenance, and frankly very, very OCD. 

You mean CDO.

Hi- I've had good luck "lining up" patches for a song. In other words-if I'm going to use several different patches in 1 song- I put them in order in the set list. Seems like when i do that, it takes a much shorter change time because it does not have to "search" as long for the next patch.  As long as they are "grouped" together, you don't have to "repeat" any patches- say verse-chorus-verse-bridge-verse-chorus, you just need the 3 patches & you can "bounce" between them. See if that helps.

Sounds like an interesting thing to test, thanks!

Might want to clarify a bit on my last post just in case. When i mentioned "grouped togther" I meant in the Banks-such as "user bank 1" the patches in the intended song should be placed "as a group" ( 1A-1B,ect).

• 3 years later...