Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Auditioning tones on customtone

ChristopherDuncan

Hope this is the appropriate place for this post.

I'm seeing 37 pages of tones on Customtime, which is great. However, short of downloading them all, I'm not seeing any way to hear a sample. There are a lot named by songs I've not heard of, and of course they may be great tones that I can use but I have no reference point.

is there some kind of auditioning method that i'm overlooking, or do you guys just download all 37 pages and try them out one at a time in your rig?

There is no way other than to download and try them out. Watch out for amp levels and what the inputs are set at. Ya never know what they set them at for their system and you could get a blast of sound you were not expecting (yes, that's right, it happened to me :blink:). Be careful!

Kinda surprising that there isn't, but thanks for confirming that I wasn't missing something.

And for the warning! :)

Everyone's gear is different. It wouldn't help much to hear a sample. How would they record it? Direct into daw? Mic'ed amp into daw? iPhone? Active or passive pickups? Single coil? Humbucker?

Too many variables.

• Upvote 1

Hi Christopher,

as you noticed, on CustomTone it's not easy to find patches and also their audio demos, but something has been done by a few people..

eg there are the Line6 Product Experts who did some videos showing how to build some classic rock patches and for each of them are given also the CustomTone links to download them

give a look here: http://line6.com/support/forum-18/announcement-27-new-hd500x-tone-building-videos/

the patches are for HD500X but with a simple drag and drop of them into the HD500 Edit program can be easily converted for the HD500

I also did a few patches for the HD500 and recorded the corresponding audio demos with explanations on how I did and used them

in case you are interested to investigate them, you can find the links to the audio and patches under this my post

good luck

Nico,

Great stuff, man. A lot of your patches are classic rock / blues, so I'm familiar enough to have a sense of what they are (many downloads happening soon). Also, love the videos - exactly the kind o tutorials I needed.

Thanks!

i did download all the hd500 patches from start up to around april 2014.

unfortunately, there are "only" 2157 resulting files, some must have been overwritten due to duplicate file names.

funny: while the total file size is 8,75mb, they occupy 17mb on the drive due to cluster vs. file size

if anyone can tell me how, i could rar and upload them (to customtone? upload and rename the rar to h5e? does size matter here?)

or i could mail the rar to somebody with web space

Whiel a zip / rar of all the patches would be an effecient method for bulk download, to me it doesn't really address the fundamental issue. Out of a couple thousand patches, there are only a relative few that I would be interested in as we each have different musical directions.

I don't know if something like this would violate some sort of terms of service with Line 6, but to me a third party website with patches, done a bit better, could be very useful.

Regarding Stumblinman's "too many variables" observation, yes, you're right. It's not possible to do with 100% accuracy / relevancy. That said, there's still value in an approach that allows you to upload a patch and an mp3. Comments for this combination would indicate which guitar the recording was made from.

Even something as simple as a single coil / humbucker designation could be useful. When I audition a tone, I'm looking for a ballpark to see if it interests me or not. A patch labeled "Joe's very cool guitar patch" doesn't tell me whether or not I should spend the time downloading it. If I click the mp3 and hear a clear, bluesy tone and the comments say it was a Strat, or just the xyz guitar on single coil, I have a much better idea of its usefulness to me.

I suggested a third party website (assuming no conflict with Line 6) because software developers in large corporate beasts don't have the freedom or time to do many things they'd like to do. A good idea often meets with Death by Committee. A personal project, on the other hand, has no such constraints and can be whatever it wants to be.

And while I'm grateful for the efforts and sentiments of those who would upload / host large collections, there's no way I'm going to download two thousand patches and hope there are a dozen I care about. With a well designed UI, however, (think Amazon's mp3 previews on an album), I could quickly click and dismiss tones after just a couple of seconds.

All of which is just howling at the moon as I doubt anything like this will appear on the web, either here or from a personal project, but I thought it worth mentioning just the same. You never know...

• Upvote 1

I have had some good results using the search function on the customtone page. I usually enter an artists name.Found some good Jeff Beck patches and David Gilmour too both of which are a pain to make.YMMV.

Thanks, J.

One thing I noticed was that IE had me hardwired to my Pro HD. Brought it up in Chrome and could change selections. Was looking for a decent patch for Mississippi Queen so I searched for Mountain, which gave me both the band and Blackmore's Man on a sliver mountain.

My (vague) understanding is that the HD Pro is compatible patch-wise with some others. Most of what I found were Bean or Xt patches. Is there documentation somewhere that would tell me which products' patches would be compatibile with the HD Pro?

• 1 month later...