Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't install drivers for POD HD500x

MiguelMarquez

Hello fellow line6 users,

I finally got my hands on a POD HD500x today and so far I haven't been able to start creating my own tones. Reason being that I can't possibly get Windows 7 (64 bit) to install the required drivers. I tried using both the Monkey and a manual method, yet to no avail. Besides, for some strange reason my laptop lists the HD500x as a HD500.

Is there any solution to this problem? I also tried disabling digital signature checks, but this failed to solve the problem.

Hopefully I'll get the help needed and will start enjoying this device's DSP capabilities soon! Thanks in advance for your help.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Make sure you have the latest version of Monkey installed.  You can find it here http://line6.com/software

When you run Monkey, make sure you are running it as an administrator (right click the icon and select "Run as Administrator")

Update all drivers and programs from there.

I already have the latest version of L6 Monkey installed. Moreover I also ran it several times as an administrator, yet the problem persists: it simply won't recognize the HD500x, even though I've plugged it on three different USB ports (no hubs), and even used another USB cable just in case.

Besides, for some strange reason my laptop lists the HD500x as a HD500

where on the computer does it list the pod as a 500 instead of a 500x

The device manager lists my POD as an "unknown device" and calls it "HD500".

• Upvote 1

Have you tried to uninstall the device in the device manager and reinstall all over again?

Right klick on the device in the device manager and select "deinstall" (Deinstallieren). Then unplugg the POD from you computer and install the driver for the HD500x again using Line 6 Monkey. Plug in the POD only when requested in the software dialog.

I think I may have figured out a part of the problem. It seems like the installer fails to add the drivers to the registry and thus they can't be utilised.
Another question: to which folder should the drivers be installed? System32 or Line6?

how long ago u installed the drivers 4 the hd400?

I got the HD400 on the 28th of April and used it for about 3 weeks, before returning it days before the end of May.

By the way, to which folder on Windows should the installers be installed? Some guy on Facebook claimed they should be installed to "system32". I attempted to change the destination folder for the drivers, yet all I got was an error message.

This is a screenshot of the driver paths on Win7. Its for my HD500 but the paths should be the same on the x.

post-11745-0-86860700-1404759660_thumb.png

I'd try to delete all those files and then reinstall the drivers for the HD500x.

This is what I get when I load the same page with the drivers' description:

N13BkCf.png

W0w1HJ8.png

It works. I can hear myself through my laptop's audio output and record into FL studio.

I also got this other application to detect the device...yet there is an ESN conflict I can't seem to figure out:

ANXnwpn.png

Yet I can't get Monkey to recognize the POD...nor HD500x edit :@

Miguel, just 4 curiosity... pls try with nother "clean" pc...

I tried the same procedure on a laptop with Windows XP installed on it. I had the same problems. Mind you, it's a 5-year-old laptop that's been with me through thick and tin. The installation process failed too, but now I know why (lack of signed drivers, bunch of registry problems, "ghost" entries in device manager).

It's not the POD, as it works perfectly (haven't had any issues when using it).

So now, fellow forumites, aware me on how to get L6 Monkey to connect to the HD500x? Or HD500x edit (which is more important to me). The drivers have been installed and I can record audio into the DAWs I use, but I want to start creating tones.

Did you make sure that the Line 6 License Manager was fully configured?

EDIT:

That doesn't seem to matter for me, I just re-checked it. It may be worth a shot.

What does the "Change Device..." button show you when you click it?

Edited by juicyjones

Did you make sure that the Line 6 License Manager was fully configured?

EDIT:

That doesn't seem to matter for me, I just re-checked it. It may be worth a shot.

What does the "Change Device..." button show you when you click it?

If by "fully" configuring it you mean authorizing my laptop, then yes, it's fully configured...:

PzPtEFC.png

As to what appears when I try to connect to the HD500x by clicking on "connect to device". I first see a list with many L6 devices. Select the HD500x. And then I get this:

lrDCQC4.png

I find it particularly surprising that L6 Monkey would claim the drivers for the HD500x haven't been installed, yet I am able to use the device in FL studio (for instance) to play and record. There's no latency or noise bursts whatsoever, both issues that could indicate the presence of conflicting drivers.

since it's not the POD, it's not the pc, then it must be the HD500X-edit-Monkey-program (bug?) OR THE USB CABLE.

have u tried with nother usb cable?

if it's not the usb cable, i suggest u open a support ticket my friend...

rgds/john

I've used three (!) different USB cables now. All of them in excellent condition, so it's definitely not the cause of the problem.

Two or three days ago I created a support ticket, yet from what I've heard, it is unlikely I'll get any help from Line6.

Yeah a bad USB cable isn't a wild goose chase, I was using an extender to get some more length on mine and realized last month that it was causing trouble. Of course now that I just got a longer cable I'm golden. Anyway that doesn't help.

Try running Line 6 Monkey in all the different compatibility modes perhaps.

Yeah a bad USB cable isn't a wild goose chase, I was using an extender to get some more length on mine and realized last month that it was causing trouble. Of course now that I just got a longer cable I'm golden. Anyway that doesn't help.

Try running Line 6 Monkey in all the different compatibility modes perhaps.

Already tried running it in different compatibility modes.

I tried the same procedure on a laptop with Windows XP installed on it. I had the same problems. Mind you, it's a 5-year-old laptop that's been with me through thick and tin. The installation process failed too, but now I know why (lack of signed drivers, bunch of registry problems, "ghost" entries in device manager).

It's not the POD, as it works perfectly (haven't had any issues when using it).

So now, fellow forumites, aware me on how to get L6 Monkey to connect to the HD500x? Or HD500x edit (which is more important to me). The drivers have been installed and I can record audio into the DAWs I use, but I want to start creating tones.

I think you pretty well summed this up right here. You seem to know what goes on in a windows operating system (xp isn't really that much different than win7). My guess would be something messed up with the registry, specifically relating to line6 money (unlikely, because line6 money can be run without actually installing the program) or drivers (likely).

My suggestion would be to search the registry for everything relating to line 6 (using various keywords, filenames, directory paths, etc.) and delete them (disclaimer: don't do this if you're not comfortable with it). Try not to use these 'registry cleaners'. Who knows what these things do really. I use a program called registry workshop. For some entries relating to drivers you might have to add permissions to be able to change or delete them. Registry workshop can do this.

Another thing to try is setting the environment variable 'DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1' and in device manager select view/show hidden devices and uninstall the line 6 drivers and check 'delete driver software for this device'.

• Upvote 1

My suggestion would be to search the registry for everything relating to line 6 (using various keywords, filenames, directory paths, etc.) and delete them (disclaimer: don't do this if you're not comfortable with it). Try not to use these 'registry cleaners'. Who knows what these things do really. I use a program called registry workshop. For some entries relating to drivers you might have to add permissions to be able to change or delete them. Registry workshop can do this.

Another thing to try is setting the environment variable 'DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1' and in device manager select view/show hidden devices and uninstall the line 6 drivers and check 'delete driver software for this device'.

I downloaded Registry Workshop and did as you suggested. Did a clean installation of drivers, HD500x edit and Monkey, yet I'm getting the same results. L6 Monkey sees my HD500x as a HD500 and asks me to register it.

That thing about showing hidden devices is something I had done yesterday.

Update: I used the license manager to export a log file and here's what it says:

-------------------------------------------------------------
- Line 6 License Manager started: Tue Jul 08 12:08:12 2014
-------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 1.07
Windows 7
Creating Camel system with timeout of: 60

Loading local config file: C:\Users\MMMM\AppData\Roaming\Line 6\MonkeyCore\default.cfg
Attempting previous user login: UserID=443bf4669a254e054005d8cb130f1a66, name=miguelmarquez
Scan devices request...
Downloading config file: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html?appid=2097217578&group=Customer&lang=en_US&page=defs&usid=025197270e2036fec2291ca3a887cad5
Detecting devices...
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/getrelease?usid=025197270e2036fec2291ca3a887cad5&group=Customer&os=&nosoftware=1
Failed to get firmware version.
Failed to get firmware ESN.
Loading server XML
Failed to open driver message service pipe.
Failed to get DSP firmware version.
Hardware communication error: 80007103
Created Monkey device: POD HD500
...finished detecting devices.
Check auth status request: 0
Checking computer authorization: 9F58A9C8536E00CE ...
Scan devices request...
...finished checking computer authorization.
Detecting devices...
Scan devices request...
Detecting devices...
Scan devices request...
Scan devices request...
Detecting devices...
Detecting devices...
Scan devices request...
Scan devices request...
Detecting devices...
Device not present ?!?!
Device not present ?!?!
Detecting devices...
Device not present ?!?!
Device not present ?!?!
...finished detecting devices

______

And here's some stuff Monkey says...

Windows 7
Downloading config file: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html?appid=2097217542&deviceid=4294967295&lang=en_US&os=Windows%207&page=releases
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/getrelease?usid=&group=Customer&os=Windows 7
Loading server XML

Previous app device found: connection=0 in= out= id=4294967295
Forcing MIDI product ID:1310725
##########################
Device: POD HD500X
Attributes:
   Uses AC Power
   Using Forced Connection
   Supports Add-ons
   Has ESN
   Supports flash memory updates over USB
USB Connection Info: None
MIDI Connection Info: None
ESN: 00000000
USB Firmware Version: 0.00
Comm Error: (Code 00000000) Success.
Request error from packet: 0
Update button pressed.
MessageBox: Title=Line 6 Monkey Msg=In order to download upgrades or activate purchases, you must login to your Line 6 user account.
Registration check failed.!
Login button pressed.
Attempting user login: User=MiguelMarquez
Scan for devices button pressed.
Scan for devices button pressed.
Forcing MIDI product ID:1310725
Attributes:
   Uses AC Power
   Using Forced Connection
   Supports Add-ons
   Has ESN
USB Connection Info: None
ESN: 00000000
USB Firmware Version: 0.00
Pinging server...
Update button pressed.
Confirming Product registration: Product=1310725
Request error from packet: 2
Request error from packet: 3
Registration check failed.!
Pinging server...
Update button pressed.
Confirming Product registration: Product=1310725
Request error from packet: 4
Starting Job: Downloading file.
Downloading release from: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html?action=direct&appid=2097217542&deviceid=1310725&page=download&releaseid=5598&usid=788ffc8a92184c04b752f4ee32d33afc
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/getrelease?usid=788ffc8a92184c04b752f4ee32d33afc&rid=5598
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/data/r/0a0643894f7753b6afdf27524/application/octet-stream/Line%206%20Drivers%20v4.2.7.1%20Installer.exe
Starting Auto run download:
MessageBox: Title=Line 6 Monkey Msg=The Line 6 Monkey will now exit so the Drivers installation program can run.
Monkey ended.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something seems wrong, obviously. I ran line 6 monkey on my hd500x, looked at the log file it generated and don't see any of the errors that you're getting:

-----------------------------------------------
- Monkey started: Tue Jul 08 11:12:44 2014
-----------------------------------------------
Line 6 Monkey
Copyright © 2003-2014
Line 6, Inc.
Windows 7
Failed to load local account database.
Downloading config file: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html?appid=2097217542&deviceid=4294967295&lang=en_US&os=Windows%207&page=releases
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/getrelease?usid=&group=Customer&os=Windows 7
Loading server XML

Previous app device found: connection=0 in= out= id=4294967295
Trying MIDI Query: Out=L6DM@Line 6 POD HD500X@Variax In=L6DM@Line 6 POD HD500X@Variax
MIDI dev inquiry failed to find anything on USB device.
Created Monkey device: POD HD500X
Attributes:
USB Connection
Uses AC Power
Uses Server USB Firmware updates
Supports Add-ons
Has ESN
USB Connection Info:
Name: Line 6 POD HD500X
VID: 0E41
PID: 4159
Instance ID: 2180
Driver Version: 4.2.7.1
ESN: 02351322
USB Firmware Version: 1.01
Request error from packet: 1
Pinging server...
Request error from packet: 2
Sockets: Socket operation on non-socket.
Monkey ended.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the line 6 license manager, I don't see any useful purpose for that program. I suspect it might be used more for their software only products. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Have you tried to reflash the firmware and do a global reset of the device?

Or, power on the device while holding the right arrow button. Then using the down arrow button select the 'flash' item, then press view. I'm not exactly certain what this does, but on my device the screen changes to one where 'Flash' is displayed on top of the screen, then quickly goes back to where you were with a 'P' displayed after the 'flash' item. Same thing that happens after calibrating the exp pedal. Some sort of internal diagnostic maybe? Try the same thing with with 'sdram' item too.

Something seems wrong, obviously. I ran line 6 monkey on my hd500x, looked at the log file it generated and don't see any of the errors that you're getting:

As far as the line 6 license manager, I don't see any useful purpose for that program. I suspect it might be used more for their software only products. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Have you tried to reflash the firmware and do a global reset of the device?

Or, power on the device while holding the right arrow button. Then using the down arrow button select the 'flash' item, then press view. I'm not exactly certain what this does, but on my device the screen changes to one where 'Flash' is displayed on top of the screen, then quickly goes back to where you were with a 'P' displayed after the 'flash' item. Same thing that happens after calibrating the exp pedal. Some sort of internal diagnostic maybe? Try the same thing with with 'sdram' item too.

How do I go about reflashing the firmware and/or doing a global reset?

I did as you said. Kept the right arrow pushed down as I powered the unit. Pressed view when "Flash" was highlighted and now there is a P next to it. Same thing happens to SDram. What does it mean?

Like I said, not exactly sure what that does (if Digital_Igloo is reading this thread, he might be able to shed some light on this), but I'm guessing it does some sort of integrity check on the actual ics.

A global reset is done by holding the left arrow while powering on. I would try this first. Doing this also requires the exp pedal to be recalibrated.

Reflash the firmware using line 6 monkey by highlighting 'flash memory' under 'device firmware'. I'm not sure what this will do in your case as there is question mark by this item. As well as the 'usb firmware' item (which you might also try 'reinstall lastest') . Download the latest firmware from the line 6 website and then choose to 'update from file' if it will let you (I don't think you can do this for the 'usb firmware' though).

If any of the above is a no go, power on the device while holding the down arrow. A screen should appear saying Update Flash. Again try updating using line 6 monkey. Maybe this mode on the device is more of a forced type of update? I suspect nothing different will happen though. This mode might even require some sort of specialized software.

ok, it seems that u have an operating system bug.

try reinstalling the os and make sure u r virus-free...

ps

as far as i know this feature is not disabled by the registry.

check this article on how to do this.

Miguel,

i suggest u reconsider post #11 abv, abt reinstalling windows on ur pc 'n start from the beginning with a "clean/virus-free" machine.  this is the simplest, yet powerful rule of thumb...

Also, as I mentioned previously, do not use a USB 3 port.  I also noticed from a couple of your screencaps, that the ESN is not coming up.  I'm wondering if there is a problem with the ROM chip in your HD500X.  Monkey will not respond nicely unless it can see the ESN.