Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 board issues?

Squidy

Hi all,

First of all I just want to say I loved my HD500, until it semi-died. I keep it a very, very safe area (actually on my desk) and it's been functioning perfectly for ages. Today it started cutting in and out and I noticed the power was off but then would turn back on and then flicker off etc. I lifted the unit to see what was wrong and the "board" with the SPDIF/USB/power partially dropped inside the unit.

This has been kept, as I said, in incredibly good condition (stuff in Australia has always been very, very expensive so I've always taken very good care of my gear).

Does anyone know how to fix this? Unfortunately I moved and it's impossible for me to get to the old service centre as it's now a few hours away, and posting this in will cost me an arm and a leg.

Is there any way to fix it or am I stuck buying another unit?

Also, has anyone else experienced this?

Boy, that's disheartening to hear. I too am so careful with it, whenever I plug anything in I make sure I do it very carefully 'cause I know how easily things can break. It doesn't sound like something that's going to be easy to fix. You might call around to different places that fix stuff like that to get a good idea where you stand with it. I never had good luck finding people who repair things like this at a reasonable price in the past. Most of the time I had to either fix it myself or buy something new. Good Luck, I hope you find a better answer than mine.

Brazzy: Yeah, it's a little disheartening, it cost me a fortune and I've taken incredibly good care of it. I guess nothing is built to last these days:/

Jandrio: Thanks for the link, I've never been good with soldering and I highly doubt I'd be able to do that :(

Well, I decided to use my GX with Podfarm in the meantime while I buy another unit. Took my GX out of it's box (hadn't used it in a while) and it won't work either. So, yeah, don't think my next purchase is going to be Line6 as much as it pains me to say it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've found out that if I jiggle the power brick it turns on again, I'm thinking the problem is with the power brick (even though the back of the unit is coming in). I asked someone at work to call Line6 to see if they sell replacement bricks and apparently they do but they're $95 here... Which is silly at best.

I understand they need to charge, but $95?

You should be able to score a replacement power supply elsewhere. I found an online retailer here (US) that had the factory HD's PS noticably less then L6, with warranty too. You can try the -Bay too but caveat emptor and all that :)

Cheers for that. I went out today and purchased a similar one and it works flawlessly... for $19.95. Thank god I didn't give Line6 any of my money. As I said, I know they're in the business of making money but... that kind of price difference is too much to be justified.

I think when this finally dies I might go to AxeFX or something